Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Warbow

Time to Separate the MWC Contenders from Pretenders?

12 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

Boise State needs to get their shit together for a full game against teams that matter. They dominated two pretty good teams for a half and forgot you have to play two half’s. Harsin left Avalos a mess on the O and Dlines. Both lines are struggling with injuries and poor play. We can’t run the ball or stop the run. If line play improves we’ll become a contender. If not, middle of the pack. 

I like our chances if we stay healthy.

1 hour ago, NVGiant said:

Pretty funny watching all the fans pile on Hawaii and Warbow because they don't like the truth about their own team. After last week's fourth quarter letdown against a meh Kansas State team, Nevada is a pretender. Nevada could flip the script with a win on the blue in two weeks, but it's been a very, very long time since the Pack has beaten Boise in Boise. So it's fair to say the odds are stacked against them. 

Is it established that KSU is "meh," though? Decisive wins over Stanford and Nevada suggest to me they're pretty good. And I think they're ranked now. 

9 hours ago, East Coast Aztec said:

We beat a Pac12 team with 44 passing yards.  At the very least, Our defense and run game are contenders.  Passing game couldn't be a Pretender if it walked 500 miles to do so.  The aerial attack is the Rick Roll of our fanbase, a decade strong.  

Which is why we go 5-3 in Conference. We will beat some contenders and lose to one pretender. Its what the Aztecs have been since Rocky Hoke arrived on campus.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, creeper86 said:

Warblow's rankings as bad as his rankulator BS, that he loves as much as mini helmets. Dope

Jealous much ?

@Warbow is a treasure of MWC Board. We're just not sure where we should bury him.

:rimshot1:

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

The Spartan defense has only given up 4 TD’s in three games.  Including a garbage time TD by USC and a trick play by SUU.  I’m thinking they are pretty darn good.  SJSU also has SDSU, WYO, USU, and Fresno all at home without having to play Boise.  

Don’t kid yourself, SJSU is a contender. 

On another note, the Pac12 is just not very good.  Oregon and USC will rise to the top as usual.  Stanford and UCLA play this weekend, I’m thinking if Stanford blows UCLA out then we will find out that UCLA was a pretender. Stanford may challenge Oregon in the North.

The West is up for grabs. Especially since Boy-Z plays three of the contenders. (The Pack, @Dawgs, @Aztecs).  Boy-z should be included in the Pac West standings this year.

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

SJSU vs USC, 7-30In exhibit A, both sets of scores are not indicative of the performance on the field. Spartans and Trojans were tied 10-10 until late in the fourth quarter.

Based on that hilariously inaccurate statememt alone, @Warbow wins the argument.

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, Warbow said:

Wyoming  --- Pretender. 

2 MAC team wins doesn't mean squat. Barely beat Montana St. whoppee. Got UConn next. Who the hell did their schedule, seems like a pretender to me hiding behind these cupcake wins with soft OOC schedule on purpose. 

Utah St. --- Contender

2 FBS wins against decent teams. (Washington St. & Air Force) and 1 blow-out win against an FCS school as should be. Got Boise St. next at home. Expect an upset coming.

Nevada --- Pretender  

1 barely win against the PAC-12's doormat (Cal) and you think they won the MWC west division (which they never have). 1 blow-out win against an FCS (as should be) doesn't do anything for them. 1 blow-out loss to a mid level FBS school defines what Nevada is all about.  Aveage at best. Sorry Nevada I don't care what Phil Steele says, not this year. Take a seat with all the other pretenders.

San Diego St --- Contender

This is a hard one to judge. 2 wins over winless teams doesn't say much for them. It's the 1 win against a Pac-12 annual Pretender in Utah at home that put them in this category. I'll give them the benefit of the douth so far, the defense looks legit.

Fresno St. --- Contender

8 points away from being a top 10 team, they're legit. Could easily win the Pac-12 South. Let's hope they don't have their annual shit the bed loss to a bad team like UNLV.  Oh wait that's San Diego St. right, na, it's Fresno St. 

Boise St. --- Contender

What can I say, it's Boise St. They're always a contender.

San Jose St. --- Pretender

A 2-1 record doesn't truly indicate how bad this team is. Set an NCAA record for dropped passes with Approx 20 and still won. Luck is on their side, it's a matter of time before it runs out and they return to being the laughing stock of the MWC.

Hawaii, New Mexico, Colorado St, Air Force, UNLV.  --- Neither

Their record indicate what they are, good or bad.

A pretty solid analysis.

I look at the season through the lens of scheduling. Are your toughest games home or away ? Do you play 3 of 4 against quality or are they tune ups for a big game. An off week at the right moment in the season or the lack of a break. AFA plays 8 straight before getting a week off.

Wyoming -  I'm leaning towards pretender based on past history. They must sweep AFA and Fresno to have a shot. 

Why ? You ask. They always drop a game to a Bottom Feeder.

The Utags -   Contender. They have a favorable schedule as Boise and the Pokes are in their building. Toughest roadie is at Sparty. They have an off week after the Boise and BYU tilts to help lick their wounds

AFA - Pretender. Surprising early season loss. Three straight games of Wyoming, @Boise, SUDS in October will be their undoing.

Boy-Z -  Contender. They are the Kings until proven otherwise. The schedule is a proverbial Murderers Row. Welcome to the Pac West. Even if they sweep the Mountain Least, they could lose the Division with two losses in the West.

Boise

Wyoming

Utags

Lobo Land

AFA

CS-ewe

Americans Mayor

If only there was a definitive process by which we can be 100 % sure who the contenders are... Man, I wish that process existed. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

16 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

If only there was a definitive process by which we can be 100 % sure who the contenders are... Man, I wish that process existed. 

Prognostication is an early season tradition.  We won't know much until week 8 or 9, so let us MWCBoard, Buzz Killington.  :pitchforks:

The PAC West

UNLV and Hawaii

Hopefully, you're developing some good young ball players. See you next year.

Sparty - Has the most favorable schedule. SUDS, Pokes, Utags, and Fresno at home. Their toughest stretch is three straight against the Pokes, @Pack, and Utags. But, as @DoubleBlueGold keeps pointing out, they lack depth at the skill positions.

The Pack - Pretender. The second toughest schedule behind Boise. @Boise, followed by five straight of @Fresno, Southern Nevada CC, Sparty, @SUDS, AFA. Will they have anything in the tank after the physical, spiritual and emotional beat down by UNLV ?

Aztecs - Pretender. No qb, no hope. Theoretically, with a scrimmage this week, an off week, then New Mexico, they should be able to work out their qb issues. But these are the Aztecs. Loaded at every position but the most important one. They will lose an OMG game to a bottom feeder. They can easily finish somewhere between 4-6 conference wins.

Dawgs - Contender.  Following your off week, it's @Wyoming, Nevada, @ SDSU, Boise. Then you finish @Sparty.

Like the Aztecs you could finish between 4-6 wins.

Boise - Contender

Nevada, @Fresno, @sSDSU. They will have a say in the Pac West outcome.

This Division is a coin toss. I can see 3 teams finishing 5-3 with tie breakers and a coin flip involved.

Americans Mayor

5 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Prognostication is an early season tradition.  We won't know much until week 8 or 9, so let us MWCBoard, Buzz Killington.  :pitchforks:

giphy.gif

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Based on that hilariously inaccurate statememt alone, @Warbow wins the argument.

Clearly, you didn't watch the game.

14 hours ago, Warbow said:

Either way you slice it, 3 wins against 3 horrible teams. 2 of those games you barely won.

Montana State- sure, they're an FCS team, but how many MW (and others) lost in their FCS matchups that week? There's also the little factor that their HC was our OC the past 7 seasons... Any way, a win's a win...

Northern Illinois- a terrible team that walked out of Atlanta with a win over Georgia Tech. The same Georgia Tech that gave Clemson a scare in Death Valley this past Saturday.

Ball State- defending MAC Champion that thumped our conference champion last year.

I'd say it's a little too early to be calling Wyoming pretenders OR contenders. The AFA game in three weeks will tell us a lot. Until then...

....we do keep good track of the whereabouts of the Paniolo Trophy now. It's currently in the trophy case in the RAC.

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Jealous much ?

@Warbow is a treasure of MWC Board. We're just not sure where we should bury him.

:rimshot1:

He should bury himself under all his mini helmets and my little ponies in that stupid hut he calls home....his team's horrendous. At least they play in a much better stadium than previous.

56 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

A pretty solid analysis.

I look at the season through the lens of scheduling. Are your toughest games home or away ? Do you play 3 of 4 against quality or are they tune ups for a big game. An off week at the right moment in the season or the lack of a break. AFA plays 8 straight before getting a week off.

Wyoming -  I'm leaning towards pretender based on past history. They must sweep AFA and Fresno to have a shot. 

Why ? You ask. They always drop a game to a Bottom Feeder.

Wyoming doesn't need to sweep AFA and Fresno. Fresno isn't even a division foe. That game could be a preview of the CCG, for all we know at this point. A loss to AFA still leaves the door wide open to a division championship. We dropped a close one to Boise last year in Laramie. Last game in Boise went into OT, and the game before that, we had a lead going into the 4th quarter. We are 1-1 in Logan the last two games there, and we're undefeated in Canvas Stadium. I'd say we need to win 2 of the 3 road games against AFA, USU, and Boise State to have a shot at the CCG,  but the Fresno game isn't really a factor.

As for bottom-feeders, we get them at home this year...

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

22 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Clearly, you didn't watch the game.

How do you lose 30-7 after being tied 10-10 in the 4th quarter ?

Did your kicker kick a fg through the SC goalposts ?

Americans Mayor

23 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

How do you lose 30-7 after being tied 10-10 in the 4th quarter ?

Did your kicker kick a fg through the SC goalposts ?

Clearly a type-o.

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Clearly a type-o.

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Clearly a type-o.

Clearly a troll.

Americans Mayor

9 hours ago, Warbow said:

I don’t know what you’re trying to prove? I already said Hawaii is a horrible team. 

My point being, you guys are not much better. A good team would have killed you guys with approx 20 drop passes. Your running game sucks as you made a poor run defense look like run stoppers. Everyone else run all over us to include Portland St.

You averaged 2.2 yards a carry on the worst running defense in the country.  Geez my grandpa could average more running backwards.

You do realize we were missing two O lineman and our starting RB last Saturday night, right? After Deese (Olsen out) went out we were playing with our third string TE. 

Still got it done playing after midnight, aloha jet lag, bye week hangover,  wind storm, no energy with no fans in the high school stadium,

... survived... I’ll take it. 

Btw, the Spartans have played three straight games on the Island. Can we get a home game sometime soon?

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!