Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Aslowhiteguy

Will Coach Pete come out of retirement?

I watched an interview he did maybe a year ago and he sounded like he would never coach again.  He looked back on his career and was lamenting about the stress, time commitment, etc.  It was almost like he regretted ever doing it and was having fun not being a coach anymore.  I'd be shocked if he took another job - particularly the SC job.

Doesn’t he have a special needs child?  Coach Pete has got a lot going on in his life.  He’s got a great legacy and it wouldn’t surprise me if he never coaches another FBS game again (maybe he goes back to his alma mater UCD some day just for kicks).  Life is short and he seems happy.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

Just now, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Doesn’t he have a special needs child?  Coach Pete has got a lot going on in his life.  He’s got a great legacy and it wouldn’t surprise me if he never coaches another FBS game again (maybe he goes back to his alma mater UCD some day just for kicks). 

That's what I was thinking.  It would be cool to see him return to UCD.  If he did, he wouldn't face the same kind of pressures he faced at Washington. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

43 minutes ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

USC will pull up with the big bucks for him, imo.

Not sure he'll be able to solve the issue he couldn't solve at washington, which is the dearth of elite offensive linemen out west. 

According to the credible insiders at USC, there’s some very serious dysfunction going on inside the administration that doesn’t give the HC anywhere near full control of the program, and it’s just killing them. Who wants a job like that where you’re set up for failure?

kat.jpg

1 minute ago, Nevada Convert said:

According to the credible insiders at USC, there’s some very serious dysfunction going on inside the administration that doesn’t give the HC anywhere near full control of the program, and it’s just killing them. Who wants a job like that where you’re set up for failure?

It's USC, the PAC is a mess and ripe for domination and easy playoff berths, and you have insane talent in your backyard at all the LA schools.   There will be takers. 

27 minutes ago, Fowl said:

I watched an interview he did maybe a year ago and he sounded like he would never coach again.  He looked back on his career and was lamenting about the stress, time commitment, etc.  It was almost like he regretted ever doing it and was having fun not being a coach anymore.  I'd be shocked if he took another job - particularly the SC job.

I know when I stepped away from coaching after 20 years at the HS level, the sense of relief and new found freedom was amazing. No meetings to attend, no worries over game plans, no films to breakdown, no more helicopter parents, it felt great! I could actually do things w my wife. I mean, simple things, let's go out to dinner, let's sit on the patio, how about a movie....It's amazing how much of my children's lives I missed because I was immersed in coaching, so I can just imagine what it's like at the D1 level. I think I very much have an idea of what he's feeling.

I've had a couple offers to go back, and now that I've been away from it for 3 years, I just can't see myself ever going back. 

1 minute ago, dshawfan said:

I know when I stepped away from coaching after 20 years at the HS level, the sense of relief and new found freedom was amazing. No meetings to attend, no worries over game plans, no films to breakdown, no more helicopter parents, it felt great! I could actually do things w my wife. I mean, simple things, let's go out to dinner, let's sit on the patio, how about a movie....It's amazing how much of my children's lives I missed because I was immersed in coaching, so I can just imagine what it's like at the D1 level. I think I very much have an idea of what he's feeling.

I've had a couple offers to go back, and now that I've been away from it for 3 years, I just can't see myself ever going back. 

How about for $3 million dollars a year for 5 years?

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Just now, thelawlorfaithful said:

How about for $3 million dollars a year for 5 years?

For me, I'm taking that in a heartbeat! Just a bit better than I did at the HS level,  but I'm guessing he's got a nice comfortable nest egg set aside, so I'm thinking he passes.

5 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

For me, I'm taking that in a heartbeat! Just a bit better than I did at the HS level,  but I'm guessing he's got a nice comfortable nest egg set aside, so I'm thinking he passes.

Coaching is in the bones. At some point the dollar signs get big enough and the only question is why not? Golf and bike paths make for only so much a life. He’ll be back.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

39 minutes ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

Doesn’t he have a special needs child?  Coach Pete has got a lot going on in his life.  He’s got a great legacy and it wouldn’t surprise me if he never coaches another FBS game again (maybe he goes back to his alma mater UCD some day just for kicks).  Life is short and he seems happy.

37 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

That's what I was thinking.  It would be cool to see him return to UCD.  If he did, he wouldn't face the same kind of pressures he faced at Washington. 

Dan Hawkins (CP protege) is there. He is doing good. Has been there since 2018- two wining seasons in that time. Off to a 3-0 start, with a W over Tulsa, this season. I am sure some FBS program will give him another opportunity. (Looking at you bows and rams.)

1 hour ago, Rofl_copter_dos said:

It's USC, the PAC is a mess and ripe for domination and easy playoff berths, and you have insane talent in your backyard at all the LA schools.   There will be takers. 

Petros was on with Roggin a week ago and there isn’t anyone more knowledgeable on what’s really going on at USC than him, and when they lost that game a week ago, he let it fly. SC has serious internal issues and they’ll never be consistently good on the field until it’s fixed. They already get great recruits. Why have they sucked for SC standards for almost 10 years? You can’t just blame coaches and sanctions. 

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Coaching is in the bones. At some point the dollar signs get big enough and the only question is why not? Golf and bike paths make for only so much a life. He’ll be back.

I wonder where we could find a place where the fan base would be happy with a few wins a year? You know, a project that he could build from the ground up? No stress..

To me he looked like a fish out of water in Washington and it showed on his face that he wasn't happy up there at least to me. He seemed to be in a better mood and smile more when he was at Boise than at Washington, it just felt like he didn't fit in. 

I don't think we see him back coaching at a major job again if he even does.

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I wonder where we could find a place where the fan base would be happy with a few wins a year? You know, a project that he could build from the ground up? No stress..

Brilliant! Pete should coach Colorado State.

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Dread Rebel Roberts would turn up the heat and want wins. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

7 hours ago, Fowl said:

Pete is a different kind of dude.  He was hesitant to take the HC job at Boise I mean.