Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Should the MWC try to land UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA FIRST?

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

SMU isn't leaving a conference that houses its headquarters in their city. They're an ESPN school.

AFA is located in Colo Springs, the headquarters of the MWC.  That is probably as relevant as the AAC headquarters being in the Dallas area. 

It doesn't matter. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Silly talk.

Mark my words...

Hair Thompson should be on the phone with the Presidents of (at least) North Texas and UT-San Antonio, pronto. The MWC needs to be in the program building business now. ***Neither of those schools were anywhere near the Airport meeting.***

You'll see...

Lots of hurdles to overcome..If the presidents direct Thompson to make inquiries to various schools, he will

However, not all of the presidents are in favor of expanding, so there will have to be some vote  which could lead to weird shit. i.e. uneven pay outs, scheduling demands, odd ball game slots..etc...

It is possible, and even likely that no Texas schools would have any interest in the MW..

Nothing in any of this is easy or even remotely a sure thing..

16 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

See option 1.  It's exactly the same as what you said we should do.

I get that you think going big with multiple Texas additions is a bad idea.  Frankly if I was forced to choose I would opt for standing pat as well.  But I think the MWC has to consider option 3 as well given the open support among multiple Big 12 members for further expansion.  If we stand pat and then Boise State and/or SDSU get cherry-picked away we'll have no choice but to backfill, and because we'll be weaker we'll likely have fewer and worse options to choose from.  University presidents are a risk-averse bunch and backfilling now is the safer play.

I agree.  And the Big 12 isn’t the only risk.  Once CSU goes to the AAC they will be pushing to take others nearby.   Let’s say Wyoming or New Mexico gets good, they will be gone to the AAC in minutes.    If SDSU had a suitable travel partner they would be gone already.    

As long as the term sheet is in place this conference is unstable.  Hell the term sheet may prevent us from adding teams now! 

17 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Silly talk.

Mark my words...

Hair Thompson should be on the phone with the Presidents of (at least) North Texas and UT-San Antonio, pronto. The MWC needs to be in the program building business now. ***Neither of those schools were anywhere near the Airport meeting.***

You'll see...

I would be completely on board with North Texas and UTSA if CSU and AF leave.  North Texas has really good facilities and solid fan support.  UTSA while playing in the Alamo Dome is the only team in town and  get fairly good support as well.

1 minute ago, Aggie84025 said:

I would be completely on board with North Texas and UTSA if CSU and AF leave.  North Texas has really good facilities and solid fan support.  UTSA while playing in the Alamo Dome is the only team in town and  get fairly good support as well.

I am neither for or against adding anybody..That will be decided by a bunch of presidents with very different agendas and ambitions..

My point is when you consider schools is it fair to suspect they might not want to be in the MW?  If this sort of thing was easy, it would be one thing..But it isn't easy.

4 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

Whether both want to join will be an open question.   But given the choice of being a southwest/west conference or a high plains/west conference …..  I would take the former.   

4 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

https://lastwordonsports.com/collegefootball/2020/06/19/utsa-football-attendance-issues/

And all this while the team that actually owns the San Antonio market i.e. the Longhorns has been experiencing a serious downturn in performance.

24 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

We can't match the $ the Zags get in the WCC.

We already passed on Wichita before the joined the AAC.

The times, they are a changin'.

And fast.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Just now, Spaztecs said:

The times, they are a changin'.

And fast.

Not really.  They have no reason to leave the WCC.  They were fine before BYU and will be fine when they leave. 

BYU hasn't won a NCAA tournament game in ten years.  It's not a huge loss for the Zags and WCC, and if what we saw posted here is correct, the Zags did everything they could to help BYU move to the B12.  Supposedly, the cougs are grateful for their efforts.

I don't think anyone is mad at BYU for moving to the B12.

Barack Obama

9 minutes ago, Aggie84025 said:

If the MWC truly wants to improve, the fact the UTSA does not have their own stadium should be detour enough

They aren't the only game in town

D1 Incarnate Word is in San Antonio and Texas State is in nearby San Marcos  

UT football is an hour drive away

Plus, you know, the Spurs 

37 minutes ago, sactowndog said:

I agree.  And the Big 12 isn’t the only risk.  Once CSU goes to the AAC they will be pushing to take others nearby.   Let’s say Wyoming or New Mexico gets good, they will be gone to the AAC in minutes.    If SDSU had a suitable travel partner they would be gone already.    

As long as the term sheet is in place this conference is unstable.  Hell the term sheet may prevent us from adding teams now! 

WTF?  What would they be leaving for?  They won't be getting more money.  Probably less. 

Better exposure?  Not on ESPN+.

The BSU deal will end with the new contract.  And we'll all be getting a raise.

Barack Obama

3 hours ago, Cowboy said:

With all the smoke that the AAC will likely secure the the NAVY-Air Force rivalry as well as Colorado State...

A.) Should the MWC try to beat the AAC into Texas, and try to procure a commitment from any number of North Texas, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA?

B.) Would those teams come to the MWC?

IMO, the AAC should try to expand by one more into Texas too. They already have SMU but could probably use another.

Perhaps Criag Thompson could try to beat the AAC to the punch and lock in some commitments.

air_force_navy_reschedule_2_2.jpg

Stop it. Just stop. You're like a moronic Q'Anon'er except you think you know to a certainty everything about football that just isn't so. Typical of someone who basically has no life, no friends, nothing except a keyboard and connectivity of all the wrong sort. Nothing here will change whatever outcome is coming in all of this, and no one is going to celebrate you being correct in any of your myriad possible universes. Comic-con season is upon us, don't you have some shopping to do?

Image result for h.l. mencken quotes

22 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

WTF?  What would they be leaving for?  They won't be getting more money.  Probably less. 

Better exposure?  Not on ESPN+.

The BSU deal will end with the new contract.  And we'll all be getting a raise.

That's the hope.  If CSU and AFA go but no one else leaves then by standing pat we'll be well-positioned to leapfrog the AAC in per-member payout.  If Gonzaga won't jump now they may then.

As I said before, not backfilling is a strategically sound option with a high upside.  It's just further up the risk-reward curve.  The question is whether our conference presidents would be willing to take on more risk for a potentially higher reward.

NMSU wouldn't be a bad add if their football team wasn't so bad. They have a solid basketball and baseball program down there and would fit within the geography of the conference. But I wouldn't add them namely because of their football, I mean just 4 years ago they were in a bowl game and then tailspin back to status quo after that.

If CSU and AFA leaves, then something had to happen within the MWC that made them want to leave. Then I would be very worried about that part. Also making a pitch to a conference doesn't mean they want you, hence why AFA and CSU were never on the short or long list of Big 12 expansion.

Wichita St did talk to the MWC about joining before going to the AAC especially when talks of them starting up their football program again but once that got voted down, pretty much the talking was done because MWC wants teams that play all sports

3 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

IF AFA & CSU are both stupid enough to take an offer from the AAC - The MWC could:

1) Do nothing & stand pat at 10 schools, lose the divisions & go back to a 9 game MWC schedule

2) Add UTEP & NMSU - a bit of a step down in FB overall but probably a step up in BB - Losing AFA FB hurts while losing AF BB is a net gainer for NMSU & UTEP & probably a push for losing CSU FB & BB 

3) Go bigger into Texas by adding UTEP, UTSA, SMU along with one of (NMSU, North Texas, Texas St) as a 4th option going to seven teams in each division with 6 Division games & 2 or 3 cross division games (the 4 new adds along with UNM, Wyoming & USU in the eastern division 

No way to NMSU. Let those clowns twist in the wind. 

1 minute ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

ESPN is way better than fox.  And if you have espn as a partner 100% of your games are on espn+.  

You'd be hard pressed to find many people here who would like us to return to ESPN. 

With the combo of FOX & CBSS, we get way better coverage than we ever did with ESPN.  We also have a few games on the Stadium Network, which I like much better than ESPN+.

I'm glad you like ESPN.  We'll have to see if you're still singing their praises after your media deal gets slashed by 60% or more. 

That conference has lost everything of value except Memphis.  

Barack Obama

Just now, sean327 said:

No way to NMSU. Let those clowns twist in the wind. 

Some UNLV fans said the same thing about UNR back when they were following UNLV up the conference ladder.........UNLV left the Big West, UNR joined........UNLV left the WAC16, UNR joined........Finally both ended up in the MWC & the once "legislatively forced to play" games became way more meaningful ...........Same with UNM & NMSU, you're gonna play, so why not make it matter even more !! :cheers:

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Some UNLV fans said the same thing about UNR back when they were following UNLV up the conference ladder.........UNLV left the Big West, UNR joined........UNLV left the WAC16, UNR joined........Finally both ended up in the MWC & the once "legislatively forced to play" games became way more meaningful ...........Same with UNM & NMSU, you're gonna play, so why not make it matter even more !! :cheers:

Because those pussies would still refuse to play us later in the year on rivalry weekend. Even more so now that Rocky is back, and his protege Danny Gonzales is the HC. I’ll take UTEP all day and twice on Sunday before I would take NMSU.