Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Should the MWC try to land UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA FIRST?

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

I honestly don't know much about them. It seems like Montana State is considered the little brother when the media talks about the teams....which is hardly ever. This year I've watched their games though. I'm sure the stadiums are on the 20-25k range but both teams fill the stadiums up. They legit make most G5 teams look bad when it comes to attendence. They also have brand new Athletic centers with locker rooms that make G5 teams look bad as well.

A historical Bias.

If enrollment trends continue over the next few years MSU will double UM's enrollment

MSU has won the last 5 matchups so Little brother has been kicking big brothers butt both on the field and in student recruitment

47 minutes ago, Billings said:

A historical Bias.

If enrollment trends continue over the next few years MSU will double UM's enrollment

MSU has won the last 5 matchups so Little brother has been kicking big brothers butt both on the field and in student recruitment

It’s a rivalry game, anything can happen.  Montana actually finished ahead of MSU in the Big Sky standings in three of the five full seasons leading up the Covid-shortened 2020-21 season.

Montana also had slightly higher athletic revenues in 2019 ($23.4 million versus $23.2 million for MSU).

Ease of access from MWC cities is a push, as both Missoula and Bozeman have direct flights from San Francisco, San Diego, Las Vegas, Salt Lake City and Denver.

There’s a lot to recommend both but of course this is all just an academic discussion (hopefully).

11 minutes ago, 71Falcons said:

Army Navy Air Force all in one conference makes a lot of sense 

Why?  They already play each other every year.  Army and Navys non football sports wouldn't be in that conference.

It doesn't make much sense at all to me.  I guess it would free those teams to play a more varied OOC schedule but that is about it.  

4 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

Why?  They already play each other every year.  Army and Navys non football sports wouldn't be in that conference.

It doesn't make much sense at all to me.  I guess it would free those teams to play a more varied OOC schedule but that is about it.  

Instead of just playing for the CIC trophy it gives the games even more meaning if they’re playing for a conference title.  The landscape is changing even more and I think all three academies in one conference (which ever that is) makes sense in a most uncertain environment. It also brings more esteem to any conference that can bring those three assets together.  Any other questions? 

57 minutes ago, 71Falcons said:

Instead of just playing for the CIC trophy it gives the games even more meaning if they’re playing for a conference title.  The landscape is changing even more and I think all three academies in one conference (which ever that is) makes sense in a most uncertain environment. It also brings more esteem to any conference that can bring those three assets together.  Any other questions? 

I can definitely see the appeal from Air Force's standpoint. Particularly if they're able to lure Army as well. Air Force has more in common with schools like SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane compared to large public schools. My main question is why CSU would be interested? I guess they just feel they need a change of scenery? Unlike Air Force, I'd imagine that CSU fans have a lot more interest in playing Wyoming, USU, UNM compared to Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane but I guess the admin feels differently? 

Where would the rest of Air Force's sports go? The Summit probably makes the most sense as a travel partner with Denver? The WAC could also potentially work. Or are their talks of an all-sports AAC invite? If that's the case would Navy join as well?

26 minutes ago, bigd said:

I can definitely see the appeal from Air Force's standpoint. Particularly if they're able to lure Army as well. Air Force has more in common with schools like SMU, Tulsa, and Tulane compared to large public schools. My main question is why CSU would be interested? I guess they just feel they need a change of scenery? Unlike Air Force, I'd imagine that CSU fans have a lot more interest in playing Wyoming, USU, UNM compared to Tulsa, SMU, and Tulane but I guess the admin feels differently? 

Where would the rest of Air Force's sports go? The Summit probably makes the most sense as a travel partner with Denver? The WAC could also potentially work. Or are their talks of an all-sports AAC invite? If that's the case would Navy join as well?

Multitude of considerations.  1. Not all about sports / more about associations. 2. Potential loss of Boise / SDSU down the road.  3. Continuing series / travel partner w/AF 4. East Coast bias.  5. More money and exposure 

As for AF All sports, the ones you mentioned are possible / all sports is also possible.  I believe Navy wanted football only in the AAC because they felt their Olympics sports couldn’t compete but maybe that’s different now or they can just keep the affiliation they have currently.  Army’s views on joining a conference might be different 25 years later.  
I simply think it’s an intriguing idea and one that some conferences should try to bring together.  The “American” trademark also fits the brand.  

12 hours ago, 71Falcons said:

Multitude of considerations.  1. Not all about sports / more about associations. 2. Potential loss of Boise / SDSU down the road.  3. Continuing series / travel partner w/AF 4. East Coast bias.  5. More money and exposure 

As for AF All sports, the ones you mentioned are possible / all sports is also possible.  I believe Navy wanted football only in the AAC because they felt their Olympics sports couldn’t compete but maybe that’s different now or they can just keep the affiliation they have currently.  Army’s views on joining a conference might be different 25 years later.  
I simply think it’s an intriguing idea and one that some conferences should try to bring together.  The “American” trademark also fits the brand.  

Thanks for the insight!

My view of the collective value of the academies under one umbrella (appropriately named "The American") is they are "Tentpole Programs"..

That's a very intriguing conference structure.

The ability of a league that to brand itself with those rivalries and pageantry defining the divisional and conference race landscape is a HUGE defining feature. I don't know why it's never happened before given that Army-Navy is so storied within the lexicon of college sports.

Mike Aresco has found the right brands/tentpoles, imo, to set his league up for national eyeballs. Whether anyone wants to admit it, placing such a league within the Eastern media scope is a solid recipe for sustainable relevance. It also gives The American a teflon shield if the P5 decide they want to escape the NCAA. 

Going forward, "The American" can essentially grow (or replenish) teams from anywhere - under those tentpoles - and the leagues narrative wont miss a beat. 

3mxsBs3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

I doubt we'd invite them and they'd probably prefer the Sunbelt or AAC anyway, due to travel considerations.

IIRC, there was some talk with them when the MW added SJSU & USU.  The preferred to go to CUSA to keep things more regional.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

18 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Montana is in a bit bigger market, has the stronger athletic teams and draws more fan support.  MSU is an up-and-comer with a larger enrollment (16K versus Montana’s 10K) and better academic chops (R1 versus Montana’s R2).  Montana’s stadium seats 25K, Montana State’s only 17K but is planned for expansion.  If the MWC had to make a choice today Montana is the better brand.  Also it doesn’t hurt that the Grizzlies just shocked UW in Seattle.

We wouldn't leave without Montana State, we're a dual package.

10 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

We wouldn't leave without Montana State, we're a dual package.

So not only would the MWC expand into Missoula, population 77k, but ALSO Bozeman, population 46k?  That combination being considered seems highly unlikely considering the schools that would accept in Texas.  Do both schools even want to move to FBS?  

18 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

CSU and Air Force will need to decide to stay regional or go after TV markets.

Colorado State and Air Force are on an island in the MWC. 

Whether they are on the Eastern edge of the MWC, or the Western edge of the AAC, they aren't any more regional in either.

There is a lot more synergy with Colorado State and the Western AAC academics than the MWC schools.

Colorado State football will get that Eastern media exposure that will drive greater interest and viewership.

Colorado State basketball becomes a neighbor to the storied Wichita State Shockers and divisional foes with Memphis. It's a good step up for them.

Air Force gets reunited with NAVY, which ties into their neighbor Colorado State.

Both programs will get to FINALLY recruit Texas hard again, which was hard to do effectively after losing TCU (the only team that ever allowed them to make regular trips into the football Holyland). 

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 minute ago, Ibanez said:

CSU is on an island yet they are closer to Wyoming than any AAC school. OK. I don't agree with people who say you're Stunner. You don't have enough sense to be Stunner.

The teams that came to the MWC can't relate to what the league was like with TCU. The MWC Originals (especially CSU & AFA) lost A LOT when they lost those Texas trips.

The WAC refugees live in their own private universe.

3mxsBs3.jpg

24 minutes ago, alum93 said:

So not only would the MWC expand into Missoula, population 77k, but ALSO Bozeman, population 46k?  That combination being considered seems highly unlikely considering the schools that would accept in Texas.  Do both schools even want to move to FBS?  

There are people who want to move up but due to financial issues with enrollment it would be very difficult to justify it. Would need a healthy donation first to execute it.

27 minutes ago, alum93 said:

I'm guessing we would have to be in desperation mode before we'd even consider inviting those two.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

4 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I'm guessing we would have to be in desperation mode before we'd even consider inviting those two.  

Location and population size/market aside, on the field product I feel would be solid and easily have 2 of the best fan bases. Seems to me on the field production matters more in terms or exposure (Boise State, UCF ect.)