Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Should the MWC try to land UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA FIRST?

50 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Why would they do that in Washington DC when they have been having meetings for two days? They even had an Oklahoma State as a Big 12 representative in Boise on Monday to meet with Tromp. That's a MWC thing to do. "Let's go share everything we discussed the last few days with every other conference!"

You're the one who posted the Dickey tweet...about those same mtgs in DC.

You are a riot.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

8 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I honestly don't know much about them. It seems like Montana State is considered the little brother when the media talks about the teams....which is hardly ever. This year I've watched their games though. I'm sure the stadiums are on the 20-25k range but both teams fill the stadiums up. They legit make most G5 teams look bad when it comes to attendence. They also have brand new Athletic centers with locker rooms that make G5 teams look bad as well.

Montana is in a bit bigger market, has the stronger athletic teams and draws more fan support.  MSU is an up-and-comer with a larger enrollment (16K versus Montana’s 10K) and better academic chops (R1 versus Montana’s R2).  Montana’s stadium seats 25K, Montana State’s only 17K but is planned for expansion.  If the MWC had to make a choice today Montana is the better brand.  Also it doesn’t hurt that the Grizzlies just shocked UW in Seattle.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

More insight to what? Scoring Dua Lipa tickets? You're saying  a lot without saying anything.

There’s not much to say.  Sdsu has been in contact with UCF for months, going back before all the big 12 stuff went public.  It’s normal circumstantial discourse.  Boise state has contacted UCF as well since the game for the same reasons.  That doesn’t mean either are going to the aac or even going to be invited.  But there is at a minimum enough interest by them to initiate dialogue with the conference and at least one member institution.  It’s a thing.  That’s all I’ve passed on, not anything more.

Thanks for letting me know. They really have outgrown the Big Sky. Both of them. Seeing what they have done compared to other Big Sky members is nuts.

Montana is better known for football but what’s interesting to me is their hoops.  They draw over 4,000 per game and went to the Dance in both 2018 and 2019.  Not many schools in the MWC’s footprint but not already in the Pac-12 or MWC can say that.

I don't think the MWC is expanding or losing members in the next three years but it seems like they would be a better gamble than most of the other choices in the MWC footprint. Have the ever showed any interest in moving up?

They did a feasibility study a few years back and it wasn't worth it then for them.  That was before TV contracts really blew up though I think. 

Like someone mentioned up thread, they do have some issues as a university right now.  

Edit--Article on the study.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/missoulian.com/college/griz/university-of-montana-athletics-study-move-to-fbs-would-cost-millions/article_b87e6958-5778-11e0-9bd2-001cc4c002e0.amp.html

I do find it funny that some of you are arguing which school contacted who.  

It is the administrators job to seek out guidance and gather facts relating to their schools position in an ever changing landscape.  

Of course they talk to other schools and conferences.  Just like you take meetings with recruiters from time to time to see what else is out there for you in your career.  

If they didn't have those meetings they wouldn't be fulfilling their duty to their institutions

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Do you really think I can or would just tell ‘someone else’ personal information like that? That’s not how these things work.  The information speaks for itself, make of it what you will.  Or don’t.  

Wonderful.  I didn't ask for personal information.  I asked you what board you are referring to? 

You don't seem to be able to answer that.   

That's fine that you heard some rumor that you think is right but don't try to sell it like it's some insider info.

There is no 'board' at SDSU or at SJSU or at Fresno State that your connection can belong to.

You can believe that or don't. The information speaks for itself.

4 minutes ago, NewGuy12 said:

What are chances that GCU could join for all other sports? I know the For Profit thing is an issue from what I remember 

If they had a football team Aresco would have already called.

I'm guessing the MW wouldn't add a non football school unless they were coming with Gonzaga.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

26 minutes ago, Someone Else said:

Wonderful.  I didn't ask for personal information.  I asked you what board you are referring to? 

You don't seem to be able to answer that.   

That's fine that you heard some rumor that you think is right but don't try to sell it like it's some insider info.

There is no 'board' at SDSU or at SJSU or at Fresno State that your connection can belong to.

You can believe that or don't. The information speaks for itself.

You asked for which board my guy is on. Since you know the school and gender if I told you which board he was on you’d have a high chance of using public information to find him.  That is asking for personal information.  That is inappropriate.  Either take the info and use it for your purposes or don’t, that’s where this ends.

10 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

You asked for which board my guy is on. Since you know the school and gender if I told you which board he was on you’d have a high chance of using public information to find him.  That is asking for personal information.  That is inappropriate.  Either take the info and use it for your purposes or don’t, that’s where this ends.

Not sure who is more full of shit - you or Ibanez.

Pretty sure it is you, but the gap is closing.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

11 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

What personal information could he find?  A screen name?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What personal information could he find?  A screen name?

I dont think reddit gives out personal information from its boards...

21 minutes ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

Well, I asked you what 'board' you were talking about... 

until now I didn't know it was a male so you have just revealed some personal information. 

you've also now seem to have indicated its a two person ( one male one female) board...otherwise i wouldn't be able to figure out which male it was... watch out you are soon to be revealing more personal information if you aren't careful ..lol

truthfully i don't really care about your mythical board member from sdsu who is 'leaking' information to you. 

your information isn't accurate anyway but enjoy trying to sound important.  that is all on this from me, carry on.

I do believe we're starting to get a clearer indication of mindset, regarding the teams leaving. 

The MWC's 3 Million Dollar Media Deal is only part of a bigger picture.

MATT BROWN SPEAKS:

A quick reminder for folks blogging about realignment...the topline tier 1 TV rights figure you might hear isn't always the most relevant. Production costs, kickoff time control, linear exposure, etc may matter more than the topline 3M-ish number once the rubber hits the road.

Matt Brown on Twitter: "A quick reminder for folks blogging about realignment...the topline tier 1 TV rights figure you might hear isn't always the most relevant. Production costs, kickoff time control, linear exposure, etc may matter more than the topline 3M-ish number once the rubber hits the road." / Twitter

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 hour ago, Wyobraska said:

They did a feasibility study a few years back and it wasn't worth it then for them.  That was before TV contracts really blew up though I think. 

Like someone mentioned up thread, they do have some issues as a university right now.  

Edit--Article on the study.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/missoulian.com/college/griz/university-of-montana-athletics-study-move-to-fbs-would-cost-millions/article_b87e6958-5778-11e0-9bd2-001cc4c002e0.amp.html

Thanks for the link.  I’m pretty sure that study was done when the old WAC was begging both Montana and Montana State to join.  You’re right that they wouldn’t have gotten much if any TV money back then.

From the handful of Montana fan comments I’ve read over the years since it seems like UM would be a lot more open to joining the MWC.  Any Griz faithful reading this may want to weigh in.