Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Should the MWC try to land UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA FIRST?

19 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

NMSU wouldn't be a bad add if their football team wasn't so bad.

Truth. These Conference realignments are all about   FOOOTBALL  and Football Revenue.

While it would be really awesome to add Gonzaga and the NewMags for B-ball, they don't drive the revenue bus.

Wichita St did talk to the MWC about joining before going to the AAC especially when talks of them starting up their football program again but once that got voted down, pretty much the talking was done because MWC wants teams that play all sports

Schitts Creek Reaction GIF by CBC

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

2 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

At the g5 level yes.  The only program I’ve heard that hasn’t made any overtures to the aac so far is Army (of the usual suspects).

You and I have exchanged opinions on this previously.  I can guarantee you that you are wrong.  SDSU does not want to go to the aac as it stands now... nor does BSU because they already would have had they wanted to, regardless of what you have heard from your 'board member'.  (I might point out that you never answered when I asked you what 'board' you were referring to that your source is on.)

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

You're right for once. They are gonna add UAB and either UTSA or FAU. So Aresco isn't improving the league one bit.

Which still leaves the MWC with the option of adding a Texas wing with North Texas, Rice, UTEP, and either UTSA or Texas State.

I’m not saying it will happen or that it should, just that the option will still be there.

5 hours ago, Did I hear a WOOSH? said:

It probably doesn’t stop there.  The aac isn’t going to just add AF and CSU then be done.  

From what I've been hearing, is they won't be adding CSU either.   It's looking like Aresco has made lots of inquires but can't get any takers.  

It is looking more certain that the Sunbelt will replace the AAC as the top G5, east of the Rockies.  

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

38 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Yeah, CSU is most likely a no go. Air Force however....

I'm not seeing the upside for them either.  They play Navy every year anyway. 

Now if Army joins the AAC, that's a different discussion. 

I have heard (all rumors of course) that Aresco reached out, Army considered it, and turned them down. 

I've also heard, contrary to what some AAC fans have said,  that Aresco is making calls and not merely responding only to schools who have first contacted the AAC. 

Have you heard anything in that regard?

Barack Obama

3 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

...The MWC is looking at several schools for realignment but I'm thinking it's basketball. And it's not Gonzaga either unfortunately.

I wonder if Wichita reached out again?  

I'd like to see their BB here, but not the rest of their sports. 

Barack Obama

4 hours ago, Someone Else said:

You and I have exchanged opinions on this previously.  I can guarantee you that you are wrong.  SDSU does not want to go to the aac as it stands now... nor does BSU because they already would have had they wanted to, regardless of what you have heard from your 'board member'.  (I might point out that you never answered when I asked you what 'board' you were referring to that your source is on.)

Do you really think I can or would just tell ‘someone else’ personal information like that? That’s not how these things work.  The information speaks for itself, make of it what you will.  Or don’t.  

39 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The MWC is looking at several schools for realignment but I'm thinking it's basketball. And it's not Gonzaga either unfortunately.

I mean, we'd classy up the place a bit.  And location location...

image.png.77a733eeb54a87a2802c723f0f948d92.png

28 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

I don't think so. Grand Canyon wants in the WCC. Maybe they are tired of waiting for an invite?. I do know one of them is Denver and one is Omaha. Had no idea Omaha was a thing. They are in the Summit League. Who knew? I sure didn't. It could also be replacement schools for Air Force and CSU if they do leave. I know there hasn't been much interest from teams we would actually want. A little surprised Tulsa would be willing to leave the AAC. That's probably the best candidate that has shown the MMC interest.

Interesting.  I would expect Denver to get a look to fill the gap in Colorado if both Air Force and CSU leave.  Omaha not so much, unless the conference wanted to get back to 11 in hoops with schools that could serve as travel partners for both New Mexico and Wyoming.  While Denver and Omaha both have nice arenas, neither has done anything competitively for many years and neither draws fans; Denver averages around 1,500 per game and Omaha around 2,500.  Grand Canyon would be a much better catch; even Utah Valley would be a better addition but perhaps Utah State doesn't want an in-state rival.

I'm equally surprised Tulsa has shown interest, but I assume that's contingent on the MWC not losing anyone.

2 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Interesting.  I would expect Denver to get a look to fill the gap in Colorado if both Air Force and CSU leave.  Omaha not so much, unless the conference wanted to get back to 11 in hoops with schools that could serve as travel partners for both New Mexico and Wyoming.  While Denver and Omaha both have nice arenas, neither has done anything competitively for many years and neither draws fans; Denver averages around 1,500 per game and Omaha around 2,500.  Grand Canyon would be a much better catch; even Utah Valley would be a better addition but perhaps Utah State doesn't want an in-state rival.

I'm equally surprised Tulsa has shown interest, but I assume that's contingent on the MWC not losing anyone.

Tulsa has zero interest in the MWC.

12 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

I mean, we'd classy up the place a bit.  And location location...

image.png.77a733eeb54a87a2802c723f0f948d92.png

If UH were to return to the MWC for all sports I'd be happy to have UCSB come along.  You folks have a good thing going in hoops with Pasternack.  Not sure how the MWC CSUs would feel about it though... they might prefer LBSU.

Any conference dumb enough to invite Tulsa should be forced to keep them.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Those meetings I was telling you all about are over. 

A conference of FBS ADs.  In DC.

You are consistent.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

IMO, "Staying at 10" would incur quite a big hit in media revenue.

Colorado State and Air Force pull in the most revenue in the MWC.

You simply can't take away the most valuable brands and pretend the media dollars would remain the same.

My guess is that UTEP and UNT would be the top picks of the MWC.

E_1vMC1VQAcWwFX?format=jpg&name=large

3mxsBs3.jpg

On 9/20/2021 at 11:14 AM, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm beginning to wonder whether we may not have the ultimate trolling genius in our midst.

Could Cowboy and RebelAlliance be the same person? Think about it. Both appear to start threads with no apparent purpose other than to stir up shit. Who besides the supposedly departed Stunner has ever done that? Or could the two actually be Stunner in disguise? Whatever is the case, big props to both or the same of them for pulling off such trolling brilliance during football season rather than a few months earlier when there's little else to talk about.

His "affection" for Wyoming and his love of the shitty Texas schools.

Yep

Stunner

Come out Come out Stunner....

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

22 hours ago, Ibanez said:

Again, if I am the MWC id go for Texas State and North Texas. Big schools with good facilities. You get them for the potential.

If you go to 14 which I wouldn't, Montana would be OK if they would be willing to make the move. I just don't think there is a #4. I don't know anything about Montana State and Rice would be a pointless add. I guess it would have to be UTEP.

Montana State is actually a better target than Montana.  UM is broke and doing cutbacks in programs on top of a declining student population.  MSU is growing leaps and bounds