Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

Should the MWC try to land UNT, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA FIRST?

With all the smoke that the AAC will likely secure the the NAVY-Air Force rivalry as well as Colorado State...

A.) Should the MWC try to beat the AAC into Texas, and try to procure a commitment from any number of North Texas, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA?

B.) Would those teams come to the MWC?

IMO, the AAC should try to expand by one more into Texas too. They already have SMU but could probably use another.

Perhaps Criag Thompson could try to beat the AAC to the punch and lock in some commitments.

air_force_navy_reschedule_2_2.jpg

3mxsBs3.jpg

4 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

No

IMHO, UNT should've been in the MWC A LONG time ago. They have a nice basketball arena and just built a brand new Apogee football stadium.

Clearly the AAC would be most interested in UNT and UTSA (good team that owns the San Antonio market).

If Craig Thompson has no preemptive strike strategy then he will be taking what's left.

**You can probably throw Texas State somewhere in there too.

3mxsBs3.jpg

No thanks.  There aren't any programs who help us. 

If we do lose AFA & CSU, we are instantly better, and we have more money.  We don't have to be in any hurry to replace them.  We can wait until our contract is getting close to ending and, working in conjunction with our media partners, possibly replace them with better programs.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

10 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

No thanks.  There aren't any programs who help us. 

If we do lose AFA & CSU, we are instantly better, and we have more money.  We don't have to be in any hurry to replace them.  We can wait until our contract is getting close to ending and, working in conjunction with our media partners, possibly replace them with better programs.

Matt Brown seems to think the AAC will move rather quickly.

Matt Brown on Twitter: "Hearing this morning that this is much farther along than you might think. I'd honestly be a little surprised if AFA and CSU *dont* leave the MWC." / Twitter

I disagree that the MWC without AFA and CSU is desirable and will retain its value without those brands.

Those 2 brands were really the main MWC teams the Big 12 considered.

Losing those 2 schools will be a financial hit - without their inventory.

Craig Thompson has shown very weak leadership, essentially appealing to Boise State and SDSU to make themselves better expansion targets in the MWC. WHO DOES THAT???? He's crapping all over his own conference.

IMO, the loss of the AFA/CSU brand power would put the MWC on the edge of a cliff... IF IT STAYS AT 10, and is hoping that BSU "makes itself a viable Big 12 school" (which essentially creates an existential threat if the Big 12 does come calling).

The MWC is playing a dangerous game here. 

3mxsBs3.jpg

16 minutes ago, Ram1554 said:

The only Texas school that should be added is SMU.

SMU isn't leaving a conference that houses its headquarters in their city. They're an ESPN school.

They know that losing the money and national exposure with the WWL (which draws significantly higher ratings) would hurt their brand.

The AAC also houses their tournaments in DFW.

The main (realistic) schools the MWC needs to romance are the ones that have bad TV deals and aren't on networks that have garnered good ratings (FB/Fox/etc)

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 minute ago, OrediggerPoke said:

There is no smoke to that effect.  This is just bullshit spread by you and a couple other AAC fans equally uninformed.  

just stop

Matt Brown of course put a disclaimer that nothing is a done deal yet. However, he is a very reputable source.

Matt Brown on Twitter: "Nothing is a *done* deal or anything, but based on what I've heard, I would also be surprised if UAB doesn't join the AAC." / Twitter

3mxsBs3.jpg

2 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Matt Brown seems to think the AAC will move rather quickly.

Matt Brown on Twitter: "Hearing this morning that this is much farther along than you might think. I'd honestly be a little surprised if AFA and CSU *dont* leave the MWC." / Twitter

I disagree that the MWC without AFA and CSU is desirable and will retain its value without those brands.

Those 2 brands were really the main MWC teams the Big 12 considered.

Losing those 2 schools will be a financial hit - without their inventory.

Craig Thompson has shown very weak leadership, essentially appealing to Boise State and SDSU to make themselves better expansion targets in the MWC. WHO DOES THAT???? He's crapping all over his own conference.

IMO, the loss of the AFA/CSU brand power would put the MWC on the edge of a cliff... IF IT STAYS AT 10, and is hoping that BSU "makes itself a viable Big 12 school" (which essentially creates an existential threat if the Big 12 does come calling).

The MWC is playing a dangerous game here. 

They are dead weight.  If the AAC wants them and they want to be there, no one will be upset to see them leave. 

The only loss to us would be the prestige of having an academy in our conference, but sports fans generally don't care about that.  They just want to see a good game. 

If AFA & CSU think the grass is greener on the other side of the fence, then go.  I hope it works out for them.

What would be funny, is if they took those two teams and we replaced them with SMU and Tulsa.  That's pretty much a wash.

I still don't think it's happening. 

Barack Obama

I'm not commenting on anything that Thompson didn't publicly mention yesterday...

In Thompson's plea to "Make yourselves more appealing expansion candidates in the MWC!!"

That kind of stuff kills MWC TV partners narratives to promote the MWC.

What happened to "At The Peak"?

3mxsBs3.jpg

3 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Matt Brown of course put a disclaimer that nothing is a done deal yet. However, he is a very reputable source.

Matt Brown on Twitter: "Nothing is a *done* deal or anything, but based on what I've heard, I would also be surprised if UAB doesn't join the AAC." / Twitter

He's a twitter troll looking for clicks.  But do carry on. 

Barack Obama

Just now, Cowboy said:

But Thompson talked about it too in the San Diego paper.

So what?  He commented on the AAC trying to get MW teams.  It was no secret or surprise they would try to do it.  The fact they are only contacting weaker teams with minimal fan support only demonstrates how desperate they are. 

You may have noticed that no one really cares if they leave.  

Barack Obama

1 minute ago, Cowboy said:

I'm not commenting on anything that Thompson didn't publicly mention yesterday...

In Thompson's plea to "Make yourselves more appealing expansion candidates in the MWC!!"

That was the very best thing Thompson said..He is advising every school to step up their spending, recruiting and coaching..What we have now is a lot of schools treading water.  The more ambition the better the product as a whole..

Unfortunately, the presidents all have different ideas about everything..Thompson will be gone soon enough but why would anybody want to be the commissioner of the MW..? Such individual would have little to no influence on the major issues..

Also, unfortunately, the conference presidents aren't going to cede any power what so ever to anybody..

46 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

With all the smoke that the AAC will likely secure the the NAVY-Air Force rivalry as well as Colorado State...

A.) Should the MWC try to beat the AAC into Texas, and try to procure a commitment from any number of North Texas, Rice, UTEP, and/or UTSA?

B.) Would those teams come to the MWC?

IMO, the AAC should try to expand by one more into Texas too. They already have SMU but could probably use another.

Perhaps Criag Thompson could try to beat the AAC to the punch and lock in some commitments.

air_force_navy_reschedule_2_2.jpg

Dude, if you’re going to troll, you have to come across as believable, and this is just silly nonsense. Fail. 

kat.jpg

5 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

So what?  He commented on the AAC trying to get MW teams.  It was no secret or surprise they would try to do it.  The fact they are only contacting weaker teams with minimal fan support only demonstrates how desperate they are. 

You may have noticed that no one really cares if they leave.  

Air Force is the best brand in the MWC, imo. But I guess that's subjective.

The combo of AFA-NAVY is a huge addition/rivalry.

It's most definitely significantly additive from a branding standpoint, especially with a conference deemed the American Athletic.

Aresco is a TV exec. He knows where the money is.

3mxsBs3.jpg