Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Aukus.

15 hours ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

On the heels of the Afghanistan pullout, I think a good gfy is probably in order from your friends. France just has a big enough salt shaker that it makes people notice.

If the anglophone countries want France to be aligned with us in geopolitics we need to stop treating them like second class citizens in the western alliance.

So this whole brouhaha is about the US stealing a sub contact from France so that the Aussies have better subs to generally promote western influence in the region? Maybe the US should just compensate the French somewhat. :shrug:

14 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

If the anglophone countries want France to be aligned with us in geopolitics we need to stop treating them like second class citizens in the western alliance.

Yes, but what choices do they have? 

23 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

IDK I think the French are still dealing with remnants of the DuGaul attitude in terms of governing.  That guy did more to hurt their international policy than any other leader they have ever had due to his own arrogance.

18 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

This has been all over the news around the world the past week.  Thoughts?

I like the idea of it.  Australia having 8 new nuclear subs is a significant counter to China in the region.  I know France is enraged and Canada is not happy either, but not sure I should care.  I mean, it would be nice to communicate better with our European partners.  Biden is Trump like in that regard it seems.

I just want to know how we can make some coin out of it.

18 minutes ago, toonkee said:

So this whole brouhaha is about the US stealing a sub contact from France so that the Aussies have better subs to generally promote western influence in the region? Maybe the US should just compensate the French somewhat. :shrug:

look the US stealing a sub contract from France is like Alabama stealing a playoff spot from Notre Dame. We all know what the deal is with naval tech it's not like we browbeat Australia into accepting F-35s instead of Rafales or some shit. 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, HR_Poke said:

IDK I think the French are still dealing with remnants of the DuGaul attitude in terms of governing.  That guy did more to hurt their international policy than any other leader they have ever had due to his own arrogance.

aYxvow0_700b.jpg
No respect.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

36 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

aYxvow0_700b.jpg
No respect.

shoulda listened to Robert Fulton

30 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

^ Genius!!!!  My favorite dictator!  Well except for the metric system, phuck that idiocy....

hey, if they had only made a base 12 counting system, it woulda been perfect

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

1 hour ago, happycamper said:

look the US stealing a sub contract from France is like Alabama stealing a playoff spot from Notre Dame. We all know what the deal is with naval tech it's not like we browbeat Australia into accepting F-35s instead of Rafales or some shit. 

All right, but there is also the precedent of exporting nuclear sub technology. 

My primary objection isn’t even the politics with the French, it’s that I’m skeptical the Aussies will make the long term financial commitment required to have a viable SSN fleet.  Their defense budget is half of the UKs and France, and they have like ten between the two of them.  And they have a nuclear Industry and decades of experience with nuclear naval technology.  The RAN is going to start from scratch with a 25 billion dollar annual defense budget?  I don’t think it’s practical.

Just now, CPslograd said:

My primary objection isn’t even the politics with the French, it’s that I’m skeptical the Aussies will make the long term financial commitment required to have a viable SSN fleet.  Their defense budget is half of the UKs and France, and they have like ten between the two of them.  And they have a nuclear Industry and decades of experience with nuclear naval technology.  The RAN is going to start from scratch with a 25 billion dollar annual defense budget?  I don’t think it’s practical.

On the one hand, they have less than half the population of the UK and France, so that level of investment per capita is more significant.

On the other hand, yeah, you do gotta worry about that. our military force is very deadly and requires such an absurd logistical tail that one of our most successful hegemonic strategies is just trying to get countries with less resources as us to try to keep up.

IDK what the right answer is here. But I do know that the French bitching about losing out on naval arms sales to the US navy is legitimately funny shit

2 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

are they going to build them in AUS?  Or buy them from the UK/US?  

2 hours ago, happycamper said:

Dear France

You are a land power

We are a sea power

Stay in your lane

France has the second largest EEZ in the world, and a legitimate navy.  

can’t believe I’m the one defending the French on this board.

France has the second largest EEZ in the world, and a legitimate navy.  

can’t believe I’m the one defending the French on this board.

do their ships come pre-equipped with white flags?

2 minutes ago, HR_Poke said:

are they going to build them in AUS?  Or buy them from the UK/US?  

The US doesn’t have any extra capacity, I don’t know about England.  The domestic politics in Australia will require a majority of the work to be done there

The US doesn’t have any extra capacity, I don’t know about England.  The domestic politics in Australia will require a majority of the work to be done there

I would think we would have issues with our people not being the ones to install and maintain the reactors.  Not sure about the UK.  Our reactor designs are still classified.