Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

Is it too early to say that Avalos wasn't ready to be a head coach?

20 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

I agree no team looks "complete", but the difference is those other teams have proven that they can adjust and grind out a victory, while Boise is 0-2 in those opportunities. Boise has the roster, but Avalos is not on the same level as those other coaches. It seems like a safe assumption that he wasn't ready for the big time.

Screenshot_20210919-074324.jpg.8b7ce4d06c3687bd9e9f5e3b0b8d14fd.jpg

Screenshot_20210919-074250.jpg.6caa62c7d27abbcaaf17c30a9f6c8e8b.jpg

I don't think you can say they have the roster just quite yet,  They have the skilled players, but I don't think the trench are there.  IMO, Harsh's lines got weaker the longer he was Boise St's coach.  Not sure what it was (recruiting, coaching, or S and C), but as time went on it seemed more noticeable to me they were and as strong as when Pete left.  It takes time to build strength and depth on the lines, just like it over time for the lines to regress. 

8 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

It take more than 1 year to build a culture, I feel that it will take a couple of years for him to get his type of players in to the system (year 3).  I think he is building a solid foundation right now and Boise St has not had a "What the Heck was That" game yet like former coach seemed to have at least once a year. 

If Boise was outmatched from the opening kick in their losses, then I agree that makes a strong argument that Avalos needs time to get the right players to Boise and time to have them buy in to what he's selling. But the fact is, Boise was able to come out hot in those 2 losses, and completely fell apart as the game went on. The other teams were able to make adjustments on the fly and grind out results. Even a first-year head coach should be able to do that, such as Malzahn at UCF in the opener. It seems reasonable to think that Avalos has been hired as a HC too early in his career. Too young and too untested.

4 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

If Boise was outmatched from the opening kick in their losses, then I agree that makes a strong argument that Avalos needs time to get the right players to Boise and time to have them buy in to what he's selling. But the fact is, Boise was able to come out hot in those 2 losses, and completely fell apart as the game went on. The other teams were able to make adjustments on the fly and grind out results. Even a first-year head coach should be able to do that, such as Malzahn at UCF in the opener. It seems reasonable to think that Avalos has been hired as a HC too early in his career. Too young and too untested.

That thing often happens when you have no depth in the lines.  BYU rotates 7 to 9 OL in a game and have 7 different OLmen that have started games and that is still with the loss of 3 starter from last years team.  Their DL rotates around the same numbers.

1 hour ago, e-zone99 said:

It take more than 1 year to build a culture, I feel that it will take a couple of years for him to get his type of players in to the system (year 3).  I think he is building a solid foundation right now and Boise St has not had a "What the Heck was That" game yet like former coach seemed to have at least once a year.  Granted it's still early in the season, but UCF and Oklahoma St are both good programs and Boise St was in the game at the end.  UTEP, Boise St did what they should have done in that game.

Need to give him 3 recruiting classes to get his type of OL and DL recruits in the program, before even thinking about if he was the right hire IMO.  Now if he went 6-6 or 5-6 this year and follow that with 6-6 or worse next year that could put Andy on a very hot seat,  But I don't see those types of seasons happening.

Agree that a total transformation will take more than one class.  I do think the 2022 class can make a decided difference if there are some starters in there.  And for the record I'm 100% on board with Andy and know he'll get it turned around before long.   OL will  be a total rebuild but DL can change with 1-2 recruits, we've had that happen here before.  

On 9/19/2021 at 7:52 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

Run defense is a problem to.  Gave up 246 yards to Okie State and 255 to UCF.

Boise State can’t run the ball or stop the run right now.  They are going to have trouble with USU this week.

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

26 minutes ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Another excellent 2nd half performance by the Boise State coaching staff. 

@slappy, thoughts? 

Screenshot_20211002-192651.jpg.7b29aa6882ce6fdef7bb9baa088c7805.jpg

I’m glad the local guys in Boise are finally catching up with me on the MW board.  

It was pretty easy for me to see this.  Boise took a big gamble on hiring a defensive guy.  Somewhere they kind of forgot who and what got them there.  They have had really good offensive minds there for quiet a while.   Why change?   Made no sense.  Now they will be pretty average for a few years until they fire him prior to his fourth year.  Why wait?   Makes no sense.  If you really think your headed to the big 12 go get ready.  It is obvious this staff is outclassed in the MW.  Let alone the big 12 

2 minutes ago, slappy said:

I’m glad the local guys in Boise are finally catching up with me on the MW board.  

It was pretty easy for me to see this.  Boise took a big gamble on hiring a defensive guy.  Somewhere they kind of forgot who and what got them there.  They have had really good offensive minds there for quiet a while.   Why change?   Made no sense.  Now they will be pretty average for a few years until they fire him prior to his fourth year.  Why wait?   Makes no sense.  If you really think your headed to the big 12 go get ready.  It is obvious this staff is outclassed in the MW.  Let alone the big 12 

Another issue is they didn't hire a coach until the new AD was brought in. Should have had the coach sign first so the AD can fire him early if needed and justify it by saying "he wasn't my choice".

A visit to BYU next week will only make the issues more obvious. Local media will be fun to follow the next few weeks

Lol. Tedfart Troll's tread on this went ignored, while the old thread was bumped up.:hahaha: