Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

Is it too early to say that Avalos wasn't ready to be a head coach?

29 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Agree that this is far more on green coordinators than Andy if we're looking at coaching deficiency but Andy picked them.  Andy gives them reign too and with rookies that's a gamble.

It is.  I forgot to write that when you hire these unproven guys you have to give them a little time to grow into the role.  To expect them to just jump right in and make all the right calls is unrealistic.  

2 hours ago, BSUFiend said:

You're being overly dramatic.  Losing by 5 to UCF and 1 to OSU is hardly a reason to think we'll be 6-6.  I would expect worst case of 7-5.

Personally I see wins over USU, AFA, CSU, Wyo, UNM and 1 from Fresno/UNR/SDSU.

Really? Based on what? Serious question.  UNM is a gimme win, Fresno, SDSU are gimme losses, CSU is most likely a win, everyone else is a tossup.

41 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I think that has to be a risk you take hiring an unproven HC who has never held the job before.

I'm surprised he didn't surround himself with a little more experience.  

He has made some mistakes but they played two good teams tough and should have won last night.  

I don't think the sky is falling as much as people think.  

I don't think either UCF or Okie Lite are particularly good. 

49 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I think that has to be a risk you take hiring an unproven HC who has never held the job before.

I'm surprised he didn't surround himself with a little more experience.  

He has made some mistakes but they played two good teams tough and should have won last night.  

I don't think the sky is falling as much as people think.  

Harsin was at Arky State for one year, and that was right after Gus Malzahn left.  So, does that even count?

He was also silent during his time at Texas. 

Also, you look at Harsin’s first year at Boise State - played one ranked team during the regular season and got pounded.  Also got embarrassed by AF and nearly sent our starting QB to a mental health facility.  It was definitely Boise State’s easiest road to a major bowl game. 

I’m more than happy to give Avalos time to make some changes and still excited about the season. 

14 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

I don't think either UCF or Okie Lite are particularly good. 

It’s hard to tell what would have been for UCF now that their starting QB is out for the year, but I expected them to crack the top 25. 

I also expect Okie State to beat Kansas State next week and finally show up in the AP poll. 

So, I disagree.  

27 minutes ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

Really? Based on what? Serious question.  UNM is a gimme win, Fresno, SDSU are gimme losses, CSU is most likely a win, everyone else is a tossup.

I suspect Fresno will be about a four point favorite at home.  That's not exactly a gimme loss for BSU or a gimme win for Fresno.

It looks like a little bit of a down year for the Broncos, but its also a tough schedule.

6 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

Honestly, Boise should be sitting pretty with a 3-0 record right now. In their 2 losses against UCF and Okie St., Boise was in the driver's seat and let the game get away from them. Even though it's a small sample size, it seems pretty clear that Avalos was not quite ready to be a head coach yet due to his inability to make halftime adjustments compared to his opponents.

In the UCF game, they had a 24-7 lead before a last second TD to end the half. Despite a 10 point lead, the Broncos came out flat in the 2nd half and were outscored 22-7 the rest of the way.

In the game last night, Boise was up 20-7 early until a 2 minute collapse to end the half. Boise should have come out motivated to take the lead back, but couldn't find a single point the rest of the game and lost 21-20.

I think it's still possible Avalos will have a very good coaching resume when it's all said and done, but it looks like he's been given his chance too early and Boise signed themselves up to be his rocky start to the HC world. Considering he's a well-liked former player, and add in a new AD making this hire, and it will be interesting to see how Boise handles this over the next few years.

Give the guy a year at least. Boise won that game vs. Oklahoma State but had it snatched away by a horrible call. I am always suspicious of claims that the refs screwed a team, but I just saw the play and it was completely botched by the refs. 

Honestly, with the exception of Fresno, I think the verdict is out on the rest of the conference. Boise has pieces, but needs consistency, SDSU needs a passing game, AF, Nevada and USU need defenses. Interesting to see how they develop the rest of the year.

9 minutes ago, jdw said:

Honestly, with the exception of Fresno, I think the verdict is out on the rest of the conference. Boise has pieces, but needs consistency, SDSU needs a passing game, AF, Nevada and USU need defenses. Interesting to see how they develop the rest of the year.

I agree no team looks "complete", but the difference is those other teams have proven that they can adjust and grind out a victory, while Boise is 0-2 in those opportunities. Boise has the roster, but Avalos is not on the same level as those other coaches. It seems like a safe assumption that he wasn't ready for the big time.

Screenshot_20210919-074324.jpg.8b7ce4d06c3687bd9e9f5e3b0b8d14fd.jpg

Screenshot_20210919-074250.jpg.6caa62c7d27abbcaaf17c30a9f6c8e8b.jpg

Time will tell if he was ready.  But early returns suggest he could maybe have gone with experienced coordinators.  Instead he went with two rookies which he's paying for early on.  We'll see if they're fast learners or not.  Again I think they don't have the tools they need that they should have after a recruiting class or two.

1 hour ago, jdw said:

Fresno runs the ball well, they stop the run, good passing game,  good secondary.  Appear well coached.  They are really good, and I don't see holes in the roster.

One major Achilles heel so far though.  They cough up the ball too much.  Cost them the Oregon game and almost the UCLA game.  If they don't clean that up it will cost them a game or two in conference play.

4 hours ago, roughrider said:

Time will tell if he was ready.  But early returns suggest he could maybe have gone with experienced coordinators.  Instead he went with two rookies which he's paying for early on.  We'll see if they're fast learners or not.  Again I think they don't have the tools they need that they should have after a recruiting class or two.

After last year we couldn’t afford to bring in a more experienced staff. The money wasn’t there so we went cheap, particularly with our assistants. 

Then Harsin didn’t leave much on either line. Our lines on both side of the ball have been really poor. We can’t run the ball and we can’t stop the run. Our LBs are also substandard, no speed whatsoever. Our best Dlineman is out for personal reasons?

I still have confidence Avalos will right the ship, but it may take longer than we want. 

4 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Fresno runs the ball well, they stop the run, good passing game,  good secondary.  Appear well coached.  They are really good, and I don't see holes in the roster.

One major Achilles heel so far though.  They cough up the ball too much.  Cost them the Oregon game and almost the UCLA game.  If they don't clean that up it will cost them a game or two in conference play.

A lot of the fumbles feel like bad luck and are hard to pin on skill players.  Kelly had the ball wrapped against his chest with both arms and was clearly expecting a forward progress call but UCLA's DBs, very cannily i think, just let him sort of keep drifting forward to keep taking potshots at it.   Haener was screwed by a blown OL block in the red zone, he got hit in the middle of the RB/QB exchange.

Is this for real?  I’m as big of a BSU hater as anyone on the board but two losses to quality programs does not mean imminent demise for their program.  They have long been the standard bearer for the MWC and it will take more than two losses to relegate them to the basement or fire their new coach……I realize this is a troll thread but as usual, BSU is circled on my schedule as a game I want to see.  Give it a few conference games and see where they are.  The West looks tough and have some quality wins but they’d better be ready when the Donks come to town.   One last thing…it still sucks to be a CSU Ram! 

It SUCKS to be a CSU Ram!

9 hours ago, Pokes Forever said:

Is this for real?  I’m as big of a BSU hater as anyone on the board but two losses to quality programs does not mean imminent demise for their program.  They have long been the standard bearer for the MWC and it will take more than two losses to relegate them to the basement or fire their new coach……I realize this is a troll thread but as usual, BSU is circled on my schedule as a game I want to see.  Give it a few conference games and see where they are.  The West looks tough and have some quality wins but they’d better be ready when the Donks come to town.   One last thing…it still sucks to be a CSU Ram! 

Sort of this. We are definitely down.  The refs 100% cost us the OSU game, horrendous calls were an easy 14 points.  Maybe 11 I guess, assuming they would have kicked the fg if the ref didn't call PI on an uncatchable ball where the WR barreled over the db.  Plus who knows if we fumble if they would have just kicked the fg then kicked off.  UCF was close, also should have won. Our lines are BAD though. Offensive slumps every single game for 60% of the game won't work.

On 9/19/2021 at 6:41 AM, misplacedcowboy said:

Honestly, Boise should be sitting pretty with a 3-0 record right now. In their 2 losses against UCF and Okie St., Boise was in the driver's seat and let the game get away from them. Even though it's a small sample size, it seems pretty clear that Avalos was not quite ready to be a head coach yet due to his inability to make halftime adjustments compared to his opponents.

In the UCF game, they had a 24-7 lead before a last second TD to end the half. Despite a 10 point lead, the Broncos came out flat in the 2nd half and were outscored 22-7 the rest of the way.

In the game last night, Boise was up 20-7 early until a 2 minute collapse to end the half. Boise should have come out motivated to take the lead back, but couldn't find a single point the rest of the game and lost 21-20.

I think it's still possible Avalos will have a very good coaching resume when it's all said and done, but it looks like he's been given his chance too early and Boise signed themselves up to be his rocky start to the HC world. Considering he's a well-liked former player, and add in a new AD making this hire, and it will be interesting to see how Boise handles this over the next few years.

I think what you're discovering... and what SDSU will discover very shortly is in modern college football you need to put up points quickly. Defenses get worn down down chasing mobile QB's and covering the spread receivers in space. You have to be able to go score for score at some point. 

We damn near lost a game we literally dominated in every phase until the last 5 minutes when the backup came in who was a mobile spread guy. He killed us.  Brady was doing Brady; took the air out of the ball and tried to use defense and field position( old school football) to win the game. That doesn't work any more against good teams.

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

1 hour ago, SDSUfan said:

I think what you're discovering... and what SDSU will discover very shortly is in modern college football you need to put up points quickly. Defenses get worn down down chasing mobile QB's and covering the spread receivers in space. You have to be able to go score for score at some point. 

We damn near lost a game we literally dominated in every phase until the last 5 minutes when the backup came in who was a mobile spread guy. He killed us.  Brady was doing Brady; took the air out of the ball and tried to use defense and field position( old school football) to win the game. That doesn't work any more against good teams.

Can you please fax this over to Coach Bohl as well.  He has not gotten that memo either.  

21 hours ago, roughrider said:

Harsin recruited well by the numbers but his teams were getting worse every year.  He left a depleted D and no RB's behind Holani.   And when a new coach takes over there's a culture change and you lose some player's focus and motivation.  It's too simplistic to say a new coach 'should have' or 'could have' with results.    Given that if Harsin had stayed we wouldn't be good either I lean towards a one year reclamation project but also think they should improve as the season goes on.

It take more than 1 year to build a culture, I feel that it will take a couple of years for him to get his type of players in to the system (year 3).  I think he is building a solid foundation right now and Boise St has not had a "What the Heck was That" game yet like former coach seemed to have at least once a year.  Granted it's still early in the season, but UCF and Oklahoma St are both good programs and Boise St was in the game at the end.  UTEP, Boise St did what they should have done in that game.

Need to give him 3 recruiting classes to get his type of OL and DL recruits in the program, before even thinking about if he was the right hire IMO.  Now if he went 6-6 or 5-6 this year and follow that with 6-6 or worse next year that could put Andy on a very hot seat,  But I don't see those types of seasons happening.