Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

misplacedcowboy

Is it too early to say that Avalos wasn't ready to be a head coach?

Honestly, Boise should be sitting pretty with a 3-0 record right now. In their 2 losses against UCF and Okie St., Boise was in the driver's seat and let the game get away from them. Even though it's a small sample size, it seems pretty clear that Avalos was not quite ready to be a head coach yet due to his inability to make halftime adjustments compared to his opponents.

In the UCF game, they had a 24-7 lead before a last second TD to end the half. Despite a 10 point lead, the Broncos came out flat in the 2nd half and were outscored 22-7 the rest of the way.

In the game last night, Boise was up 20-7 early until a 2 minute collapse to end the half. Boise should have come out motivated to take the lead back, but couldn't find a single point the rest of the game and lost 21-20.

I think it's still possible Avalos will have a very good coaching resume when it's all said and done, but it looks like he's been given his chance too early and Boise signed themselves up to be his rocky start to the HC world. Considering he's a well-liked former player, and add in a new AD making this hire, and it will be interesting to see how Boise handles this over the next few years.

I don't think it's a coincidence that other teams in similar positions have found a way to grind out these types of games already this year (Fresno, SDSU, Nevada, Utah State, WYO). 

It's hard for a young, rookie coach like Avalos to be capable of making those type of in-game adjustments. It was a gamble to offer him a chance to be HC. Even more of a head scratcher to put that hire on a new AD.

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

It's Tims offense that the problem. On two out of three games the offense has stalled. Plus the O-Line and it's run protection has been awful. We are looking at a 7-5 season right now.

That's a good point. Another downside of a young coach is that he might not have big enough network to go out and bring in a high quality supporting cast.

17 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

It's Tims offense that the problem. On two out of three games the offense has stalled. Plus the O-Line and it's run protection has been awful. We are looking at a 7-5 season right now.

Run defense is a problem to.  Gave up 246 yards to Okie State and 255 to UCF.

2 hours ago, Ibanez said:

3 out of 3 games. The offense did nothing in the second half of the UTEP game either. It's a gimmicky, finesse FCS offensive sceme that doesn't work in big boy football.

2 hours ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Run defense is a problem to.  Gave up 246 yards to Okie State and 255 to UCF.

Run defense definitely needs to improve but the offense is the problem. Boise's D gave up 14 points to Okie State (a red zone turnover accounted for the other score). The D played their guts out (no points in the second half). The offense can't do anything once it gets past its scripted plays and lets Bachmeier make the RPO decisions.

It's awfully difficult to overcome the refs spotting a quality opponent 14 pts.  The fumble one was by far the most egregious.  Yes there was some coaching mistakes, but frankly BSU should have won that game.  I very rarely blame a loss on refs, but that fumble my gawd..  Skinner had already run 25-30 yards and was on the 10-15 yard line by the time the refs blew the whistle.

For myself, I didn't realize the rebuild project handed Avalos by Harsin as far as the lines and LBs.  I think they're just not athletic enough or the proper build or something.  We're 3 games into a brand new coaching staff, give them some grace.  I think they'll be good.  The OC and DC do need to learn quickly.  Calling pass plays when we're trying to kill the clock, refusing to stack the box when it's obvious they're running over and over again..

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

Way too early.  But his rookie coordinators need to grow up fast or be replaced.

Both lines are slow and getting dominated and that's the worst roster of LB's collectively I've ever seen here.  Whimpey is good to decent and the others are not good.

And I wish Hank never had that one game against FSU so we could move on.  He's not getting any better after 3 years and he has zero pocket presence.

Andy needs 1-2 recruiting classes to get rid of Harsin's DNA then we can evaluate him and his staff, especially both coordinators

3 hours ago, Ibanez said:

7-5??? Are you kidding me? I would kill for that. Where on earth do you see six more wins on our schedule?

1 minute ago, thespywhozaggedme said:

7-5??? Are you kidding me? I would kill for that. Where on earth do you see six more wins on our schedule?

You're being overly dramatic.  Losing by 5 to UCF and 1 to OSU is hardly a reason to think we'll be 6-6.  I would expect worst case of 7-5.

Personally I see wins over USU, AFA, CSU, Wyo, UNM and 1 from Fresno/UNR/SDSU.

bsu%252520mwc%252520logo.jpg

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

Andy needs 1-2 recruiting classes to get rid of Harsin's DNA then we can evaluate him and his staff, especially both coordinators

This Boise team isn't a rebuild project (like what Bohl inherited) and a capable coach could have gotten results with this group while still changing the culture and roster over time. Not saying Avalos won't be good, but it just seems like he was brought in too early in his career. The AD should have done better and not let his player resume influence their decision. 

Boise was in a perfect position to get back to their prime by getting out of the perpetual contract with Harsin. They blew it. 

I’m not concerned about it, last year was really fcked up with Covid so we really have no idea what Harsin left Andy with. 

Both lines are suspect, Bachmeier may be in Special Ed by the end of the season.  But, hey - there’s always Jack Sears.  

We’re definitely getting clown fcked by BYU.  

If anyone needs me you know where I’ll be…

57A0E99D-699E-4F81-A72F-647637BC1B72.gif

I think that has to be a risk you take hiring an unproven HC who has never held the job before.

I'm surprised he didn't surround himself with a little more experience.  

He has made some mistakes but they played two good teams tough and should have won last night.  

I don't think the sky is falling as much as people think.  

1 hour ago, misplacedcowboy said:

This Boise team isn't a rebuild project (like what Bohl inherited) and a capable coach could have gotten results with this group while still changing the culture and roster over time. Not saying Avalos won't be good, but it just seems like he was brought in too early in his career. The AD should have done better and not let his player resume influence their decision. 

Boise was in a perfect position to get back to their prime by getting out of the perpetual contract with Harsin. They blew it. 

Harsin recruited well by the numbers but his teams were getting worse every year.  He left a depleted D and no RB's behind Holani.   And when a new coach takes over there's a culture change and you lose some player's focus and motivation.  It's too simplistic to say a new coach 'should have' or 'could have' with results.    Given that if Harsin had stayed we wouldn't be good either I lean towards a one year reclamation project but also think they should improve as the season goes on.

3 minutes ago, Wyobraska said:

I think that has to be a risk you take hiring an unproven HC who has never held the job before.

I'm surprised he didn't surround himself with a little more experience.  

He has made some mistakes but they played two good teams tough and should have won last night.  

I don't think the sky is falling as much as people think.  

Agree that this is far more on green coordinators than Andy if we're looking at coaching deficiency but Andy picked them.  Andy gives them reign too and with rookies that's a gamble.