Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

BYU

On 9/19/2021 at 12:58 AM, tailingpermit said:

I honestly thought this was a rebuilding year, instead it’s a reload.  

12-0 is not a ridiculous idea, two back to back top 25 wins.  

They should definitely be ranked in the top 10 shortly.  

Meanwhile, we're just hoping to cling to .500........

I'm going to fix it. 

:police:

New-Signature.jpg

On 9/19/2021 at 12:58 AM, tailingpermit said:

I honestly thought this was a rebuilding year, instead it’s a reload.  

12-0 is not a ridiculous idea, two back to back top 25 wins.  

They should definitely be ranked in the top 10 shortly.  

Since they haven't lost yet, undefeated is still possible, but unlikely.  ESPN's FPI only ranks BYU at #47 so far, which is understandable considering BYU's opponents so far.  Arizona hasn't beaten anyone - they even lost to FCS Northern Arizona (or, as my son pointed out on the ESPN tracker - "No Arizona").  Utah's only victory so far is over FCS Weber State and Arizona State's only victories are over FCS SUU and FCS-like UNLV.

The FPI tool is saying that BYU will be favored in all but two of their remaining games - at Baylor and the home finale against USC.  The Virginia game, at 52% chance of winning, is basically projected to be a toss up.  Overall, the expected regular season record for BYU according to current FPI probabilities would be 9.7 wins and 2.3 losses.

I think BYU's current AP ranking of #15 is plenty generous and don't expect them to ascend to the top ten anytime soon.  If they're still undefeated after the Baylor game on October 16, the top ten would be reasonable then.

Changing gears to TV ratings:

The total viewership of BYU's game against Arizona State was a little less than their game against Utah (1.498 million vs 1.503 million).  The 18-49 demographic was also down a bit (644k vs 698k).  For total viewers, it ranked 12th among college games this week.  In the 18-49 demographic, it ranked 9th, beating out Georgia Tech-Clemson on ABC, Tulsa-Ohio State on FS1, and USC-Washington State on Fox.

Other Big12 entrants:

Louisville-UCF preceded the BYU-ASU game on ESPN and had 1.881 million total viewers and 654k in the 18-49 demographic. 

Cincinnati-Indiana, also on ESPN but airing at noon ET, had 1.681 million total viewers and 653k in the 18-49 demographic. 

I don't see Houston's game listed in the ratings for the week.

Games from others considered for Big12:

Boise State vs Oklahoma State on FS1 drew total viewers of 596k and 189k in the 18-49 demographic.

Mississippi State vs Memphis on ESPN2 drew total viewers of 401k and 162k in the 18-49 demographic.

I don't come here for BYU talk and spent most of the last decade since TCU and BYU lurking.   The MWC remains my 2nd favorite conference and the only one I follow much outside of the B12.

That being said, this looks like a pretty good year for BYU.  LES is rocking like it was in the 80s and 90s instead of having almost no home field advantage.  The team plays tough in ways it hasn't for awhile.  It still has room to grow, but I was expecting 7-5 before the season, even after last year.   BYU could easily have been 0-3 at this point. 

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper