Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

thedude15

Is Boise's next in line (for Big-12) status in jeopardy?

To me the ONLY reason BSU should be next in line for a Big-12 invite is football on the field performance. But going 8-4 this year won't help that. To me if the Big-12 was looking forward I would have the following tiers of MW teams. If they didn't have the football success or if they keep having good but not great seasons will BSU  still be in line for the next Big-12 invite?  

tiers  

1- SDSU

2. UNLV

3. Air Force/Colorado State

4. Hawaii/Boise

5. Nevada/Fresno

6 and below no chance USU/SJSU/WY/NM

4 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

Expansion has rarely been about performance.

Which is why I am asking if BSU is next in line. To me on the whole SDSU would be a much better choice than BSU. I also think there are several other schools that would make more sense than BSU. This is not me being a homer as I rank my team (Fresno) in the middle of the pack and behind BSU...

1 minute ago, thedude15 said:

Which is why I am asking if BSU is next in line. To me on the whole SDSU would be a much better choice than BSU. I also think there are several other schools that would make more sense than BSU. This is not me being a homer as I rank my team (Fresno) in the middle of the pack and behind BSU...

I just don't think they're going to expand with Boise and Memphis.

I don't think either of those are interesting markets. I don't think the league will do that unless there are more defections.

I think it's much more likely the P12 gets poached and you end up getting some combination of the Arizona schools and Utah than Memphis/Boise/SDSU joining the B12.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

Expansion has rarely been about performance.

Classic Keifer laughable statement along the lines of his classic “Dems don’t run California in Sacramento” kind of lunacy. And the sun doesn’t come up in the morning and the IRS isn’t wanting any of your paycheck.

Of course it’s about performance, along with other factors. But without success on the field, you’re going to be an anchor on the conference making money and hurt the strength of the conference overall which hurts rankings and opportunities for the best teams. The money comes the more you win, so candidates with no or questionable performance will get passed over virtually every time.

kat.jpg

1 hour ago, Jack Bauer said:

I don't think either of those are interesting markets. I don't think the league will do that unless there are more defections.

I think it's much more likely the P12 gets poached and you end up getting some combination of the Arizona schools and Utah than Memphis/Boise/SDSU joining the B12.

Another absolutely ridiculous “opinion”. The PAC-12 has been down in FB, but no one in the PAC-12 is going to bolt to the worst P5 conference in which they have no rivalries, geographical fit or better money once the Big12 contract is re-done. The Big12 just got worse and added two more mouths to feed. It wasn’t long ago that the P12 was the 2nd best FB conference. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, thedude15 said:

To me the ONLY reason BSU should be next in line for a Big-12 invite is football on the field performance. But going 8-4 this year won't help that. To me if the Big-12 was looking forward I would have the following tiers of MW teams. If they didn't have the football success or if they keep having good but not great seasons will BSU  still be in line for the next Big-12 invite?  

tiers  

1- SDSU

2. UNLV

4. Hawaii/Boise

5. Nevada/Fresno

If Boise had continued it’s elite success in the last 10 years, they would’ve been a top candidate and because of their unique brand, had they remained elite. Without the 4 joining the Big12 existing, BSU and SDSU might have been chosen. But the Big12 has no reason to add 2 more to 16. 

UNLV is nothing but a big turd, and it’s hilarious you have them listed at all. So is AF, CSU and Hawaii. Nevada and Fresno would be Loooong shots. 

kat.jpg

3 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

If Boise had continued it’s elite success in the last 10 years, they would’ve been a top candidate and because of their unique brand, had they remained elite. Without the 4 joining the Big12 existing, BSU and SDSU might have been chosen. But the Big12 has no reason to add 2 more to 16. 

UNLV is nothing but a big turd, and it’s hilarious you have them listed at all. So is AF, CSU and Hawaii. Nevada and Fresno would be Loooong shots. 

All we need is a decent coach FOR ONCE and it's a different story. We've literally got everything else, all we have to do is win a damn game or two, lol.

But we're not going to the Big 12. It'll be the Pac 12.

6 hours ago, Jack Bauer said:

Is it simply a case of ‘size matters’?

Maybe not. Consider the Memphis market’s obsession with college football. While it doesn’t rank at the lofty levels of the Southeastern Conference-rich Birmingham market, the Memphis area holds its own on college football Saturdays. Memphis has consistently ranked among the top five markets in ESPN’s college football final annual ratings. While Birmingham has topped the list in recent years with ratings surpassing 9.0 (ratings are used to estimate the percentage of households in a media market tuned to a station while a program is being aired), Memphis has had a stronghold at No. 5 (in 2013 and 2014) and finished 10th in 2015. If Memphis were to join the Big 12, the combination of offerings from the SEC and the Big 12 on Saturdays might push those ratings closer to Birmingham’s.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/university-of-memphis/football/2016/07/26/big-12-expansion-examined-focus-on-tv-markets/90571860/

mem skyline sig.jpeg

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

Is it simply a case of ‘size matters’?

Maybe not. Consider the Memphis market’s obsession with college football. While it doesn’t rank at the lofty levels of the Southeastern Conference-rich Birmingham market, the Memphis area holds its own on college football Saturdays. Memphis has consistently ranked among the top five markets in ESPN’s college football final annual ratings. While Birmingham has topped the list in recent years with ratings surpassing 9.0 (ratings are used to estimate the percentage of households in a media market tuned to a station while a program is being aired), Memphis has had a stronghold at No. 5 (in 2013 and 2014) and finished 10th in 2015. If Memphis were to join the Big 12, the combination of offerings from the SEC and the Big 12 on Saturdays might push those ratings closer to Birmingham’s.

https://www.commercialappeal.com/story/sports/college/university-of-memphis/football/2016/07/26/big-12-expansion-examined-focus-on-tv-markets/90571860/

How man of those television sets are tuned into SEC games?

7 hours ago, thedude15 said:

tiers  

1- SDSU

2. UNLV

4. Hawaii/Boise

5. Nevada/Fresno

USU is stronger in the two sports that matter than four of the schools above them.

Unfortunately, all the Big 12 can see is a return to the Denver Metro. Kinda like the MW dry humping Vegas'  leg in the late 90's.

CSU is more likely in than anyone else in the MW. Boise just doesn't have the eyeballs they want.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

No P5 gives a shit about SDSU. Dennis Dodd and Max Olsen have both recently came out and said the Big 12 does not want in the Pacific time zone. No one wants UNLV. No one. Any insider or reporter you can find will say Boise State and Memphis are really the only two non P5 teams left with any value.

So, that's why the New12 has been courting CS-Ewe and AFA.

:hmmm:

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

21 minutes ago, MWC Tex said:

The Big Question is, would Boise decline a Big 12 invite if they had to give up the blue field?  

To expound upon your Big Question, does or would any conference want to deal with or put up with BS U and the way they treat their conference mates?

They are just too cool for school. I’m personally hoping for their rise to the prominence in the immediate future but I don’t see any P5 conference lowering their standards to the BS U level without other significant teams playing musical chairs. Let’s just make sure that when they walk out the door that we lock it behind them. Let’s also make sure that when they try to return that we as a conference charge a yearly fee…maybe $1.8 million for 10-15 years. Of course all of this is based on a return to the national discussion for them and that in itself is a dubious proposition. I believe that we are stuck with them for years to come, dammit.

6 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Another absolutely ridiculous “opinion”. The PAC-12 has been down in FB, but no one in the PAC-12 is going to bolt to the worst P5 conference in which they have no rivalries, geographical fit or better money once the Big12 contract is re-done. The Big12 just got worse and added two more mouths to feed. It wasn’t long ago that the P12 was the 2nd best FB conference. 

The PAC is a joke.