Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

bornontheblue

Teachers

16 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Well if you are teaching government or civics it is pretty hard to eliminate any political perspective.   Nor am I sure you want to.  Germany, as an example, teaches the warning characteristics of a fascist leader to insure they never go down that road again.  

Many on the right would object to those characterizations today.   Those characterizations are certainly not they have shot people in the streets because by the time you get to that point it is too late.   

Well, since he referenced only teaching the 3 r's, I would assume he does not want classes like government, history, philosophy, social studies, music, art, theater, physical education, science, etc. The whole "only teach the 3 R's" movement has a deeper and more insidious goal, IMO.

3 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Well, since he referenced only teaching the 3 r's, I would assume he does not want classes like government, history, philosophy, social studies, music, art, theater, physical education, science, etc. The whole "only teach the 3 R's" movement has a deeper and more insidious goal, IMO.

I hate to be the one to point this out.....  But writing and arithmetic don't start with R's....

Just now, HR_Poke said:

I hate to be the one to point this out.....  But writing and arithmetic don't start with R's....

Yeah and that goes to really explain a lot about the movement too. It is just wholly anti-education. The proponents use "indoctrination" as their justification to limit education, but limiting education does far more to present indoctrination.

17 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Of course this comes from @soupslam1 who grew up in California when it had one of the best K12 education programs in the country. A broad based education which focused on more than just the 3 r's.

What's also funny about those who spout such nonsense is that most often speak with reverence of our "founding fathers". Many who were well educated with a very broad base of language, philosophy, art, etc.

7 minutes ago, renoskier said:

Of course this comes from @soupslam1 who grew up in California when it had one of the best K12 education programs in the country. A broad based education which focused on more than just the 3 r's.

What's also funny about those who spout such nonsense is that most often speak with reverence of our "founding fathers". Many who were well educated with a very broad base of language, philosophy, art, etc.

Also funny because it is often the same idiots who spout the need to promote an "informed electorate" as justification for election reform. What they really want is an even less informed electorate to control.

15 hours ago, renoskier said:

That reminds me of my early 60s political science teacher who was constantly berating us for being apathetic about politics. Little did she know what was coming in the mid to late 60s.