Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

The AAC is only talking with (MWC) programs who contact them first.

15 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Yes, the MWC's contract is up again in a few years...

BUT the AAC already has ESPN, and going longer has proven to be the perfect move for them.

Who will the MWC negotiate with? Craig Thompson's F.A.N.G.?

If you already have ESPN, you don't want to go anywhere else in the rough tides of 2025. It's going to get crazy.

The AAC already staked their claim.

The problem that I repeatedly see among AAC fans, is they make an oblique reference to the AAC as if it still will include Cincy, Houston and UCF. 

Things have changed and the AAC's "staked claim" has lost its gold nuggets!

The MW has SEVERE problems with the uneven TV deal and poor commissioner, but the MW has one thing the AAC doesn't - it feels like an actual home.  

The AAC is effectively a downtown 1BR hotel that schools stay in until they find something more permanent to move into. 

I know the AAC might have schools of interest.  So why not fire Hair, hire Aresco, and then have Aresco (with ESPN) go and pull the AAC/WCC/whoever schools to the MW?  You could even have Aresco move you to ESPN and improve your visibility.

It's hyper-aggressive, but wouldn't it work?

2 minutes ago, blueandolive said:

The MW has SEVERE problems with the uneven TV deal and poor commissioner, but the MW has one thing the AAC doesn't - it feels like an actual home.  

The AAC is effectively a downtown 1BR hotel that schools stay in until they find something more permanent to move into. 

I know the AAC might have schools of interest.  So why not fire Hair, hire Aresco, and then have Aresco (with ESPN) go and pull the AAC/WCC/whoever schools to the MW?  You could even have Aresco move you to ESPN and improve your visibility.

Probably not...

42 minutes ago, blueandolive said:

Aresco, the guy who left tens of millions on the table signing that horribly long T.V. contract?  Hard no.

42 minutes ago, blueandolive said:

Aresco maybe a little better than Thompson, but is not that much better.   He comes like a clown show (aka... we are going to raid the Big12) to me, there is much better replacement options out there than him.

43 minutes ago, blueandolive said:

not to be rude, but because you're in the middle of it but the AAC:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bdxy7y1k9frccugob781

10 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Aresco maybe a little better than Thompson, but is not that much better.   He comes like a clown show (aka... we are going to raid the Big12) to me, there is much better replacement options out there than him.

Aresco didn't have much to work with early on.  

SMU/Memphis/Tulane/Temple were absolute dregs in FB when they joined the AAC.  The AAC actually gave those programs space to make bowl games and develop quite nicely.  

He had to turn chicken shit into chicken salad - and had it moving nicely until the AAC got raided.  

He says some goofy shit, but he had to be extroverted in order to give the conference a real chance.  

Thompson feels like a pushover.  Maybe he's good behind the scenes?

1 minute ago, Del Scorcho said:

not to be rude, but because you're in the middle of it but the AAC:

200w.gif?cid=82a1493bdxy7y1k9frccugob781

Yes but no.

It's not a power conference, but it's done well and developed nicely relative to other G5 conferences/programs. The P6 thing seems silly, but if it got three schools into the Big XII did it actually fail?  

The MW didn't fail Utah/TCU/BYU. 

17 hours ago, Cowboy said:

Dodd is not a well spoken human, or a good writer. Do you really believe they have to "recruit" UAB? (and by extension the rest)

They don't need to recruit Boise, SDSU, CSU and AFA.  They need a miracle.  If they can keep SMU from bolting to the MWC, call it a huge win because it meant the MWC did not want them.

4 minutes ago, blueandolive said:

Yes but no.

It's not a power conference, but it's done well and developed nicely relative to other G5 conferences/programs. The P6 thing seems silly, but if it got three schools into the Big XII did it actually fail?  

I think we likely have a different perspective. You'd argue the AAC with Cincy, UCF and Houston was a better league than the MWC. I believe its at best a push, (although the AAC clearly had more football and hoops success in the last few years). 

Put Boise and San Diego St in the Central or Eastern Time zones and I'd argue those schools are in the Big XII.

3 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I think we likely have a different perspective. You'd argue the AAC with Cincy, UCF and Houston was a better league than the MWC. I believe its at best a push, (although the AAC clearly had more football and hoops success in the last few years). 

Put Boise and San Diego St in the Central or Eastern Time zones and I'd argue those schools are in the Big XII.

Utah and TCU were threatening the TITLE GAME at their peak.  MW football had 1-2 years where they were BETTER than a power conference in football.  The AAC hasn't done that - but were very close in about 3-4 years.  Both leagues were wrongly underseeded and underranked the entire time. 

I actually agree with the second statement.  

32 minutes ago, blueandolive said:

Yes but no.

The P6 thing didnt get them into the Big 12.  They got in on their own.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

SMU has no interest in MWC, I think if they had to leave they would talk to C-USA first as that would be more of a natural feel for them, that was one reason they wanted to join C-USA. 

If NMSU's football program didn't suck monkey's balls, they would be an ideal fit for MWC with their strong basketball and baseball programs

3 hours ago, blueandolive said:

:facepalm:

Aresco is the guy who brought the AAC a school which first set in motion Boise State and San Diego State's backing out of membership: Too-lame University.

No thanks.

14 minutes ago, liquidshade said:

Hey you remember that time Boise State wanted to join the AAC as a full member but the conference said football only? Pepperidge farms remembers.

Hey remember that time that the AAC had some of the best G5 teams in college football and the B12 said, "No!", then Boise State said, "Thank God the AAC said, 'football only' and we said, 'no'"?