Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

The AAC is only talking with (MWC) programs who contact them first.

25 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

The only thing that COULD get a merger done is if ESPN doesn't cut the AAC pay and adds to it to make travel easier, actually restructures the media deal, makes sure the new AAC adds another bowl versus a P5, makes leaving the league easier in case someone gets a P5 invite, make it an all sports invite, have a full western wing.....

And that still probably wouldn't be enough.

The only thing that makes any sense between the AAC and the MWC is for the top programs of each to reform a new conference. Both conferences have bottom feeders that lower value and not enough top level programs to grow financial value, especially with the AAC losing their three upper tier programs. MWC frankly is in better shape than the AAC but not anywhere near in position to have AAC teams leave to join the MWC.

The problem with a true Best-of-the-Rest conference is, once established, the B12 (or others) can simply invite the top 2 to 4 programs and everyone's in the same boat again until the true Power conferences are "full", whatever that number is.

21 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

That's true.

Enter Rice & UTEP to the MWC

What makes you think we are expanding?  Just like the PAC, we are fine with what we have and there aren't any AAC or other G5 programs who can improve our standing as the 6th best conference, or improve the value of our TV deals.  

Unlike the AAC, our TV contract is up in a few years.  ESPN will make another run at us, which means we'll have multiple suitors which will result in a more lucrative media deal.  

All is well in the MW.  We have a stable, regional, conference with great TV coverage and a bright future.  We are the envy of every G5 conference.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

13 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

Nothing to see here.

Nothing to see here? His sources?

The AAC is only talking with the teams that call them.

I doubt his source is the same person who called Aresco at all those schools.

Maybe he knows a periphery person in the SDSU athletic dept. who basically got saddled with the responsibility of deflecting why they would call the AAC.

3mxsBs3.jpg

21 minutes ago, UNLVFan90 said:

9CB4B214-031B-4063-A990-2791580CF697.png

Yes, the MWC's contract is up again in a few years...

BUT the AAC already has ESPN, and going longer has proven to be the perfect move for them.

Who will the MWC negotiate with? Craig Thompson's F.A.N.G.?

If you already have ESPN, you don't want to go anywhere else in the rough tides of 2025. It's going to get crazy.

The AAC already staked their claim.

3mxsBs3.jpg

9 minutes ago, Cowboy said:

Nothing to see here? His sources?

The AAC is only talking with the teams that call them.

I doubt his source is the same person who called Aresco at all those schools.

Maybe he knows a periphery person in the SDSU athletic dept. who basically got saddled with the responsibility of deflecting why they would call the AAC.

Just so we know, whose sock are you? You claim to be a Wyoming fan, but you’re literally Baghdad Bob-level, and that’s tough to accomplish.

Is it fitting or irony that possibly the most versatile word in the English language is also of unknown origin?

5810036134_cb4d739b38_b.jpg

2 hours ago, Cowboy said:

After the Dodd's article came out, I've see a lot of misinformation in these threads.

Just to offer clarification:

The AAC has not been recruiting any teams. 

The programs who are in the article have initiated the discussions; not the other way around.

Mike Aresco has been transparent that the AAC will only consider teams that contact the AAC offices first.

It simply doesn't work the other way around.   

Let's let Dennis Dudd speak for himself. His article is entitled "the AAC is targeting" various schools and then in the body of the article it says "the AAC has focused on recruiting a group of schools that includes Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and UAB, sources tell CBS Sports

:yoda:

1 minute ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Let's let Dennis Dudd speak for himself. His article is entitled "the AAC is targeting" various schools and then in the body of the article it says "the AAC has focused on recruiting a group of schools that includes Air Force, Boise State, Colorado State, San Diego State and UAB, sources tell CBS Sports

:yoda:

Dodd is not a well spoken human, or a good writer. Do you really believe they have to "recruit" UAB? (and by extension the rest)

3mxsBs3.jpg

I understand people here WANTING to believe the AAC called those schools.

I understand people here THINKING the MWC could try and poach the AAC.

The AAC people believed they were going to poach the Big 12.

I get it.

That's being a homer.

3mxsBs3.jpg

1 hour ago, Ibanez said:

Nothing to see here.

That stoopid mofo Aresco could have had all four of us had he offered to create a full western division of his conference a year or two ago.

Time for those who have said for years here what a good commissioner the guy has been to fess up. Hey, it's no big deal that you were simply wrong.

Oh screw that. SIMPLY is a vast understatement. MASSIVELY wrong would be the more accurate way to describe your misjudgment of that idiot.

The AAC is ONLY talking to schools that call them.

That makes absolutely no sense.

I understand people here WANTING to believe the AAC called those schools.

I understand people here THINKING the MWC could try and poach the AAC.

The AAC people believed they were going to poach the Big 12.

I get it.

That's being a homer.

The MW doesn't want to add anybody right now, unless grabbing a couple of schools decimates the AAC. You know, kind of like we destroyed the WAC when BYU was manipulating.