Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

The Big 12 Will NOT Expand Until The B1G Takes The Pac 12 Schools

The speculation around Big 12 Expansion is misplaced.

Now that the Big 12 has grown back to 12 teams, the next "fault line" in College Sports is the Pac 12...

USC and the B1G.

The B1G will take:

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Washington

Stanford

Cal

The Big 12 can afford to wait until the Arizona schools become available. 

(1) Christopher Lambert on Twitter: "Again, informed, unconfirmed rumor. Arizona & Arizona State are still interested in the Big 12. Both believe the B1G raids the P12 very soon." / Twitter

3mxsBs3.jpg

If some slack jawed, nose picking, moonshine swillin' retard from West-By-God Virjinee says it on the Twitter machine, it has to be true

“Science is the belief in the ignorance of experts.”

-Richard Feynman

"When buying and selling are controlled by legislation, the first things to be bought and sold are legislators."

-P.J. O’Rourke

5 minutes ago, SDSUfan said:

If some slack jawed, nose picking, moonshine swillin' retard from West-By-God Virjinee says it on the Twitter machine, it has to be true

Dennis Dodd is alluding the Big 12 waiting out the Pac 12 fallout in his story as well.

American targeting Mountain West powers among handful of expansion candidates in realignment - CBSSports.com

3mxsBs3.jpg

Lambert has as much credibility as MHver3.  The WV Expansion Twitter Twins.  They've been doing this for years.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

Now that the Big 12 has grown back to 12 teams, the next "fault line" in College Sports is the Pac 12...

USC and the B1G.

The B1G will take:

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Washington

Stanford

Cal

(1) Christopher Lambert on Twitter: "Again, informed, unconfirmed rumor. Arizona & Arizona State are still interested in the Big 12. Both believe the B1G raids the P12 very soon." / Twitter

Check Amazon to see if there is a book titled, "Trolling For Dummies."  If they have it, buy it and read it twice. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

1 hour ago, Cowboy said:

USC and the B1G.

The B1G will take:

USC

UCLA

Oregon

Washington

Stanford

Cal

Ohio State so butthurt over the Oregon loss that they're going to nuke the entire PAC from orbit. 

There has been speculation for a couple decades that USC might leave the Pac due to displeasure with not getting any more of the TV dollars than anyone else despite having easily the conference's most valuable football program. Talk about that has diminished some with the downturn in the Trojans program. However, I fully expect the next HC hire to be much better than recent ones following which USC will return to being a legit contender for the NC most years. If that happens, there's probably a good chance SC could leave but if the Trojans joined the B1G, it would be for football only. Because SC is a private university, the WCC would jump at the chance to take their Olys and basketball has never much mattered to SC alumni anyway. (Plus, the WCC would presumably give SC the same kind of enhanced TV $$ that Gonzaga has been getting.)

Bottom line is that unless all-football conferences are created (in which case Oregon and UDub would join USC in one), nobody else will be leaving the Pac any time in the forseeable future.

3 hours ago, namssa said:

The Pac-12 TV deal is due up next.  If they get a good deal the Grant of Rights will be attached and the conference will be stable for the next decade.   If not then...

I think Kliavkoff will deliver 

Related image

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

There has been speculation for a couple decades that USC might leave the Pac due to displeasure with not getting any more of the TV dollars than anyone else despite having easily the conference's most valuable football program. Talk about that has diminished some with the downturn in the Trojans program. However, I fully expect the next HC hire to be much better than recent ones following which USC will return to being a legit contender for the NC most years. If that happens, there's probably a good chance SC could leave but if the Trojans joined the B1G, it would be for football only. Because SC is a private university, the WCC would jump at the chance to take their Olys and basketball has never much mattered to SC alumni anyway. (Plus, the WCC would presumably give SC the same kind of enhanced TV $$ that Gonzaga has been getting.)

Bottom line is that unless all-football conferences are created (in which case Oregon and UDub would join USC in one), nobody else will be leaving the Pac any time in the forseeable future.

I've never fully understood the narrative that because USC is unhappy with the PAC they'll pick up and take the football program elsewhere and leave their olympic sports behind. I'll give you basketball, for such a large city with the potential to attract talent it just hasn't been done other than UCLA. USC olys have been extremely successful, not just historically but over the last 20 years especially. In Tokyo USC athletes won 21 medals which would have placed them 7th as a country. It was the 5th summer games where USC athletes had at least 20 medals. In collegiate play USC baseball has 12 national championships, men's tennis has 21 national championships, men's volleyball has 6 national championships and so on and so on. I can't see the university opting to chase just glory in football to the B1G without taking olympic sports in them. Fans and alums especially do care about their olympic sports and have spent a lot of money supporting those programs successes. I could definitely see some rioting from alums if the olympic sports were ever parked in the WCC or Big West. Despite a less than stellar tv deal USC still attracts strong recruits to its Olympic sports and I can't see that being the case in a non power conference. 

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.jpg

I'll admit that most of what I know about USC goings on is rather ancient. My dad, my ex-wife, her father and two of my best friends were all USC grads and although all were big football fans, they basically didn't care about other sports in the slightest. Consistent with that, I've probably attended three dozen Trojans games at the Coliseum but not even one event involving one of the school's Oly teams. So I'll defer to you that they are atypical.

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I'll admit that most of what I know about USC goings on is rather ancient. My dad, my ex-wife, her father and two of my best friends were all USC grads and although all were big football fans, they basically didn't care about other sports in the slightest. Consistent with that, I've probably attended three dozen Trojans games at the Coliseum but not even one event involving one of the school's Oly teams. So I'll defer to you that they are atypical.

I can tell you that the National Champ Beach volleyball team are big fish in the USC pond right now according to my freshman son. They have almost as many Instagram followers as the men’s basketball team. 

15 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

The obvious outcome here is that the “big 4” conferences form one league with their own scheduling and playoff procedures. 

Not a matter of if but when.

I agree with your first comment. Not so sure about the second. I’d give it 50:50 odds on happening. 

Dennis Dodd doesn't know his ass from a hole in the ground, surprised he still has a job there just like Palm over there. It makes no sense whatsoever for Big 10 to add west coast schools, however there were rumors years ago about Big 12 having some interest in Arizona and Arizona St I think that was around the time Pac-10 grabbed Colorado and Utah

18 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

SC can park their Olys in the MW. We will throw them a life line.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

6 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

I don't see the Pac12 getting raided, if anything I see the Big12 falling apart eventually. I honestly was surprised it didn't happen already. Was expecting:

Big 10: Kansas, Kansas State, WVU, ISU

Pac12: TTU, TCU, Baylor, OK State

You are joking right....   ISU to the Big10, I'm sure Iowa would welcome that addition with open arms.  Kansas St many had going to the MWC, because no P5 conference would want them.  West Virginia to the Big10, the ACC thinks they are a "Hillbilly School", so do you really think the Big10 would want their academics in their conference.  Heck, since Nebraska lost their AAU status that has been received their Big10 peers.

Now the Pac, which of those schools would even come close to culture of Pac schools?  Aka... Mid-West schools do not see things the same way as a West Coast school. Then there is the academics side of this, since the Pac see them as the Ivy league of the West Coast or desire to an all AAU conference like Big10.  All 4 schools are in the CDT zone.  Baylor is a Baptist school and TCU stands for Texas Christian University I didn't know that the Pac has become more open to adding schools (TCU I could kind of see, but not Baylor).

Then there the fact that Texas and Oklahoma is thought to have close to half of the Big12's value, but for this example lets say those 8 schools average value is $20 million (many believe it is around $15 million per).  So the Pac would 4 schools that's culture does not fit, adds no value (likely decrease their average value), and increases their travel expenses.   The Big10 is going to add not 1, but 4 schools who average half or less of the current value of the Big10, take 2 schools that are not remotely close to being AAU and a small populated State who they already have a current AAU member in that  likely control most of the State.  With the 4 school being a "Blue Blood" in basketball, but very lacking in football (the sport that drives the bus).