Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utgrizfan

Sunbelt Expanding?

James Madison is gearing up for a move up and the most logical place people thought was Sun Belt and Southern Mississippi could work there. But it would make no sense for Marshall to move there but there have been talking that some of the C-USA schools aren't exactly happy with the conference.

On 9/14/2021 at 6:33 PM, wolfpack1 said:

James Madison is gearing up for a move up and the most logical place people thought was Sun Belt and Southern Mississippi could work there. But it would make no sense for Marshall to move there but there have been talking that some of the C-USA schools aren't exactly happy with the conference.

Marshall in the proposed Division would make perfect sense. Would have ODU and all their division games located in either the Carolinas or Georgia which isn't terrible for travel.

EAST

JMU, App State, Costal Carolina, ODU, Marshall, Georgia Southern, GSU

(States: VA, WVA, NC, SC, GA)

WEST

Troy, USA, UAB, Texas State, Arkansas State, ULL, ULM, USM

(States: AL, AR, LA, TX, MS)

Have to admit that is a solid looking Conference and probably proposed or being fast-tracked with the AAC being raided, it's a good idea to keep members from leaving.

Marshall would be a solid add for the Sum Belt. Southern Miss. is an okay add. But ODU and James Madison ?

Seems to me they are UNLV.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

James Madison has a solid football program there, I think they would be above UNLV, however ODU is kind of finding their way and to me being in C-USA is perfect. For travel and such Marshall would be an outliner in the Sun Belt it would be like Louisiana Tech was in the WAC out on an island all by themselves. However I don't expect Louisiana-Lafayette or Applachian St to stay in Sun Belt as I think they will be the first targets for American Athletic Conference

21 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Or the Sun Belt knows that they will be poached soon potentially by the AAC and want to have a plan in place. 

Smart of them to reinforce their conference regardless

Kind of like how the AAC said they were going after the Big12 schools first...

26 minutes ago, ViAggie said:

The Sun Belt should raid the WAC for all of those up and coming FCS schools - Tarleton State and Cal Baptist to the Sun Belt, makes sense to me. 

Raid the WAC.   wow that is scraping the bottom of the barrel

5 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

James Madison has a solid football program there, I think they would be above UNLV, however ODU is kind of finding their way and to me being in C-USA is perfect. For travel and such Marshall would be an outliner in the Sun Belt it would be like Louisiana Tech was in the WAC out on an island all by themselves. However I don't expect Louisiana-Lafayette or Applachian St to stay in Sun Belt as I think they will be the first targets for American Athletic Conference

I don't see Marshall as much more of an outlier in this new Sun Belt than they currently are in C-USA. Appalachian State and JMU would be closer than any current conference mates. Here is a map of the 24 making up the C-USA and Sun Belt:

c--ocLl0p-glzCkz-FDMSTaMPrUG8o-K2R0lUc83EGI.jpg

Smart move by the SBC if they can pull this off. Not only do they have more cushion when they lose some schools to the AAC, but by locking these schools in they get the exit fees if a school like Marshall ends up getting a AAC invite and “leaves” the SBC before officially joining. I am hoping NMSU can end up getting a CUSA invite once all the realignment dust settles.

8 hours ago, ViAggie said:

The Sun Belt should raid the WAC for all of those up and coming FCS schools - Tarleton State and Cal Baptist to the Sun Belt, makes sense to me. 

Cal Baptist doesn't play football

Sun Belt and C-USA should form an alliance and quasi-merger.  Keep both autobids and make the conferences technically separate but with the same branding (such as Sun Belt East and Sun Belt West).  Make conferences geographically coherent and have some crossover games and an East-West basketball challenge as well.

Negotiate the TV contract w/ ESPN to cover both the SBE and SBW.  You could negotiate from a position of stability and you'd have a lot of different teams and markets covered.