Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

utgrizfan

Sunbelt Expanding?

Saw this going around a few FCS message boards. If this does happen could very well affect the American and their expansion plans. I'd tagged Marshall and App State as options for the American, they lose them they very well could go after some MWC schools.

And I have to say this would be a very smart move for the Sunbelt.

FB_IMG_1631650311962.jpg

Just now, utgrizfan said:

Saw this going around a few FCS message boards. If this does happen could very well affect the American and their expansion plans meaning they very well could go after some MWC schools.

FB_IMG_1631650311962.jpg

No doubt the AAC would like some MW schools to join them.  None will join.  If anything, we'll take some of their programs, should we choose to expand.   

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

IOW...they know what's coming from the AAC.  Coastal and App State.  If true.

JMU would have to make a move up from IAA.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

3 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

If this is true it would doom the AAC to  3rd  best G-5 conference. This would be a brilliant move by the Sun Belt that nobody saw coming. Would be time for the MW to take its pick from the remnants of the AAC and C-USA. First choice should be SMU and Wichita St.

Or the Sun Belt knows that they will be poached soon potentially by the AAC and want to have a plan in place. 

Smart of them to reinforce their conference regardless

This makes sense from the Sun Belt's perspective. That would form a nice geographical conference that would undoubtedly be better than C-USA. 

The AAC could then add UAB, Liberty, Army and Rice giving them 12 football members, and a western division of private academic powerhouses with the large markets in the east.

That would then give C-USA 9 members and they could stay put or backfill with NMSU which would give them 5 eastern and 5 western teams, maybe they'd add 2 more to go to a division format? 

Giving something like:

image.png.9529a6ae904b7206bbb6507560bf28ac.png

Still not perfect (some membership trades could be made by C-USA and Sun Belt that would make more sense), but it's an improvement over the current state of the C-USA and Sun Belt. 

31 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

That's not happening with Mike Aresco still in control of the P6 Conference.

Just watch. Aresco's gonna rape the Sun Belt, CUSA AND the Mountain West.

Then on the seventh day, he will rest.

I don't think the bar is set that low for the AAC. Word on the street(one of woosh's insiders) is, the OU and Texas to the SEC deal isn't final yet. I guess there's been a last minute push and bidding war to get them to the AAC. Rumor has it OU is 100% down but Texas wants another $25 Mill per year and Aresco is currently meeting with AAC presidents to just raid the petty cash drawer at the home offices of the AAC.

35 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

That's not happening with Mike Aresco still in control of the P6 Conference.

Just watch. Aresco's gonna rape the Sun Belt, CUSA AND the Mountain West.

Then on the seventh day, he will rest.

How can anyone realistically think they could raid the MW, They couldn't do it when they were called the Big East and still had some great BB schools along with Rutgers, Louisville, Pittsburg and Syracuse. They have nobody left except Memphis. Their money is about to be drastically reduced and the added travel cost for Boise and their fans would be substantial. Wont happen if anything the MW will raid the aac.

6 minutes ago, utenation said:

I don't think the bar is set that low for the AAC. Word on the street(one of woosh's insiders) is, the OU and Texas to the SEC isn't final yet. I guess there's been a last minute push and bidding war to get them to the AAC. Rumor has it OU is 100% down but Texas wants another $25 Mill per year and Aresco is currently meeting with AAC presidents to just raid the petty cash drawer at the home offices of the AAC.

Woosh's sources have also let leak that Texas is very interested in the AAC as Aresco has assured them that they can keep the Longhorn network.

:lol:

17 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Woosh's sources have also let leak that Texas is very interested in the AAC as Aresco has assured them that they can keep the Longhorn network.

:lol:

Well…. I also heard from the same source that BYU was in the AAC mix until Aresco told BYU to pound sand on keeping their BYU tv network.

Just now, Ibanez said:

I think Old Dominion and UAB are AAC bound. Liberty and James Madison are probably Sunbelt bound.

After that it's just gonna be decided how big each conference wants to go. Also the Sunbelt needs to get rid of their Basketball only schools like Little Rock.

Still waiting on the MWC to get proactive and go get SMU us someone else.

I wouldn't complain if we added SMU.  I just don't see how they add much value. 

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

6 minutes ago, utenation said:

Well…. I also heard from the same source that BYU was in the AAC mix until Aresco told BYU to pound sand on keeping their BYU tv network.

Sounds like a convenient excuse.  The real truth is that there's no room for yBu in the AAC after UCF, Cincy and Houston come running back following the OU and UT to AAC announcement!

2 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

They don't. Solid football and basketball I'm a big market that they don't carry. But they wouldn't hurt the MWC either. It's more about making sure the MWC is the best non-P5. It also guarantees the playoff spot most years assuming it still goes to 12.

Yeah, SMU doesn't make much sense on their own. But as part of a broader package (Memphis, SMU, Wichita, Gonzaga) that would help convince the other 3 it would make a ton of sense. 

24 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

I wouldn't complain if we added SMU.  I just don't see how they add much value. 

I continue to think having one Texas school would be beneficial to MWC football recruiting. The mere fact SDSU and a few other MW members have been getting a few Texas kids annually doesn't mean that wouldn't increase with a conference member from that state.

To me, the decision should be based on which available school would be the least likely to just ride in the cart and eat income as opposed to helping push the cart. Based on that, I'd put SMU at the top toer.

Tier 1

SMU

Tier 2

Texas State
UTSA

Tier 3

North Texas

Tier 4

Rice
UTEP

Seems to me that SMU would probably bring as much benefit financially through basketball credits and TV income from that sport as it would cost to feed them. UTSA and Texas State haven't accomplished much football wise but they have only been playing at the Division I level for nine years. In 35 years at the DI(A) level, North Texas hasn't accomplished anything more than those other two schools. Rice is closer to REAL Texas than is UTEP so would be of greater recruiting benefit but Rice football has been terrible for decades and their basketball program is basically nonexistent. UTEP, OTOH, has had a decent hoops program. So they would be of equal value IMO; which is to say that they might lighten the load by falling out of the cart occasionally but rather than then helping pull it after they sprinted to catch up, they'd simply jump back on.