Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

lobo-tomy

2-0 first time in 15 years

Nothing explains the malaise UNM football fans experience better than  this stat. I couldn’t believe it myself when I saw it.

when you don’t start a year with momentum, like a string of wins, fans just looking for some entertainment don’t come out. It’s not just winning, it’s when you win. Unfortunately the 4 game streak ends this weekend against TA&M,. But for the first time in a long time things are feeling better. 

Out of my mind for the Lobos!!

The Lobos probably won’t win Saturday, but I believe they will make it competitive and won’t get blown out. The fact that the aTm has to start their QB2 helps. Let’s see how he handles Rocky’s defense. Terry Wilson is the other positive. He’s gone up against the Aggies, he lost in OT to them, but he played a great game. 

Watching UNM last year I felt they had some decent pieces to work with. Your athletes appeared to have some size. Plus they brought Rocky back so you know they'll hit you. I also saw them get better as the season progressed. They weren't a total rebuild for Danny Gonzalez.

Alan Tudyk Dancing GIF by DOOM PATROL

2 minutes ago, King Spartan said:

Watching UNM last year I felt they had some decent pieces to work with. Your athletes appeared to have some size. Plus they brought Rocky back so you know they'll hit you. I also saw them get better as the season progressed. They weren't a total rebuild for Danny Gonzalez.

I agree with this. I think Bob Davie was too checked out to get the best out of the players and that we had talent that wasn’t hitting their potential.

I recommend watching the Fresno game from last year. It’s classic Rocky. They just beat on the Bulldogs. They put in 2 down lineman and had like a 2-9 defense and just went for it. 
I’d like to say I’m objective, but I’m a fan, so I hope that the 10-7 TxA&M CU was indicative if we have a chance. If I didn’t have a 25th wedding anniversary weekend planned, I was going to be in College Station this weekend. 
woof woof woof!!

This team will get better throughout the season. Especially the defense.

Dare I say we have one of the best QBs in the conference? Problem now is we are about to play a mad A&M team that will want to prove its rankings. Hopefully we can compete a little.

20 minutes ago, Lobonado said:

This team will get better throughout the season. Especially the defense.

Dare I say we have one of the best QBs in the conference? Problem now is we are about to play a mad A&M team that will want to prove its rankings. Hopefully we can compete a little.

I totally agree. I will take a moral victory here though if we earn it. 
Thinking back to Notre Dame a couple years ago, one of the best segments of the game was after the score was out of hand, it still took ND 7 plays to score from inside the 10. I was proud that the team made them earn it, and I was pretty excited for the season. Then Davie finished his suspension and the team lost its heart. The end. 

12 hours ago, lobo-tomy said:

Nothing explains the malaise UNM football fans experience better than  this stat. I couldn’t believe it myself when I saw it.

when you don’t start a year with momentum, like a string of wins, fans just looking for some entertainment don’t come out. It’s not just winning, it’s when you win. Unfortunately the 4 game streak ends this weekend against TA&M,. But for the first time in a long time things are feeling better. 

There's no guarentee you're going to lose to TA&M. They just won by 3 over Colorado ( colorado isn't exactly world beaters). They start SEC play after you....good chance they are over looking.

Great opportunity for the Lobos here. 

37 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I feel like UNM can be like Wyoming where the fans are looking for any reason to show up.  But when the team gives them one, the passion is in the building.  Hope UNM can keep it rolling 

I’m not as optimistic when it comes to “The Damn Fans”. They didn’t fill the stadium during Rocky’s run from 2001-2008. For some stupid reason my fellow New Mexicans are apathetic towards college football. It’s frustrating as hell. It’s one of the reasons Dennis Franchioni basically made a lat move to TCU, it’s why Joe Morris left to South Carolina, it’s why Rocky said screw it and went to SDSU.  Us die hard, long suffering UNM football fans have no faith in the casual fan showing up, and it’s sad as hell.

22 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I’m not as optimistic when it comes to “The Damn Fans”. They didn’t fill the stadium during Rocky’s run from 2001-2008. For some stupid reason my fellow New Mexicans are apathetic towards college football. It’s frustrating as hell. It’s one of the reasons Dennis Franchioni basically made a lat move to TCU, it’s why Joe Morris left to South Carolina, it’s why Rocky said screw it and went to SDSU.  Us die hard, long suffering UNM football fans have no faith in the casual fan showing up, and it’s sad as hell.

I’d go back to my original point, no winning streak to start the season. Rocky’s best teams did great second half in conference, but had some inexplicable losses early. For we few, but mighty die hard fans, we could see development over the season and get more excited.

I don’t get the lack of passion. New Mexico United has a fanatic base, and they play soccer.
Honestly, IMO, the game day experience is lacking for the casual fan. The music isn’t conducive to fan involvement, it’s too loud for casual conversation before the game, we have no tradition, people would rather sit and eat and drink for a tailgate than go in and watch the game. My brother might never miss a tailgate but never see a game. 
Winning would be a great catalyst, we need a streak and to play for something. 
Danny G I think has a different approach to Lobo Football in the community and is a better fit than Rocky for building community involvement. The dude is everywhere always talking to people. I saw Rocky at other lobo events, but he was pretty private. I will support Lobo football no matter what, I hope Danny can build this up. 

15 minutes ago, lobo-tomy said:

I’d go back to my original point, no winning streak to start the season. Rocky’s best teams did great second half in conference, but had some inexplicable losses early. For we few, but mighty die hard fans, we could see development over the season and get more excited.

I don’t get the lack of passion. New Mexico United has a fanatic base, and they play soccer.
Honestly, IMO, the game day experience is lacking for the casual fan. The music isn’t conducive to fan involvement, it’s too loud for casual conversation before the game, we have no tradition, people would rather sit and eat and drink for a tailgate than go in and watch the game. My brother might never miss a tailgate but never see a game. 
Winning would be a great catalyst, we need a streak and to play for something. 
Danny G I think has a different approach to Lobo Football in the community and is a better fit than Rocky for building community involvement. The dude is everywhere always talking to people. I saw Rocky at other lobo events, but he was pretty private. I will support Lobo football no matter what, I hope Danny can build this up. 

I saw all the articles where people were excited about Danny being the head coach, they were happy one of our own was now the face of the program, but the butts in the seats to begin the season didn’t reflect that. My dad took me to my first Lobo game when I was 5. It was 1970 against Texas Tech. I was hooked from that moment on. I’m excited about the Danny Gonzalez era, and I just want to see that excitement spread to the entire state. I hope it happens.

5 hours ago, DestinFlPackfan said:

There's no guarentee you're going to lose to TA&M. They just won by 3 over Colorado ( colorado isn't exactly world beaters). They start SEC play after you....good chance they are over looking.

Great opportunity for the Lobos here. 

I was reverse jinxing it. That 10-7 score does give me hope. 

Principles in your staff are Lobo's at heart=THAT will sell seats. Their coaching will sell travel seats.

Nice to see NM and even the Josers (expect them to be "One Hit Wonders" as that staff will move and quickly).

22 hours ago, sean327 said:

I went to a ton of games from about 2002-2006 (work got in the way and I wasn't able to go to games much after that). I have nothing but a bunch of good memories of fierce competitive football and a packed university stadium. I mean packed. 35,000+ every game. A few times we got close to or exceeded 40,000. Fans were anything but apathetic. Rambunctious crowds they were. Student section going nuts. Very, very loud, and very, very much invested in the team.

Not sure what the atmosphere was like during Rocky's final years here, but it couldn't have been that bad as we were still going to bowl games right up until the end.

I don't think Rocky left strictly because of the fans, even though the damn fans thing always gets thrown around. Perhaps things were stagnating a bit and some "fans" became restless, craving more, but I believe a lot of it had to do with the administration that he butted heads with and a new AD who wanted to hire his own coach because he thought we hit a ceiling with Rocky.

Only Rocky really knows for sure, but this place can be pretty special with the right ingredients. I witnessed it myself over the course of several games/seasons. I was there when we packed 44,000+ in for NMSU and it felt like a real college football atmosphere. Was surreal looking around at the massive sea of red. There when we beat hated Texas Tech on a last second field goal and the huge crowd went nuts. This place can do it. I believe Danny Gonzales is the perfect coach for this job and will take us to a high level in this conference. He is going to be so good that the fans will have no choice but to come out and support this team.

1 hour ago, TopLobo said:

I went to a ton of games from about 2002-2006 (work got in the way and I wasn't able to go to games much after that). I have nothing but a bunch of good memories of fierce competitive football and a packed university stadium. I mean packed. 35,000+ every game. A few times we got close to or exceeded 40,000. Fans were anything but apathetic. Rambunctious crowds they were. Student section going nuts. Very, very loud, and very, very much invested in the team.

Not sure what the atmosphere was like during Rocky's final years here, but it couldn't have been that bad as we were still going to bowl games right up until the end.

I don't think Rocky left strictly because of the fans, even though the damn fans thing always gets thrown around. Perhaps things were stagnating a bit and some "fans" became restless, craving more, but I believe a lot of it had to do with the administration that he butted heads with and a new AD who wanted to hire his own coach because he thought we hit a ceiling with Rocky.

Only Rocky really knows for sure, but this place can be pretty special with the right ingredients. I witnessed it myself over the course of several games/seasons. I was there when we packed 44,000+ in for NMSU and it felt like a real college football atmosphere. Was surreal looking around at the massive sea of red. There when we beat hated Texas Tech on a last second field goal and the huge crowd went nuts. This place can do it. I believe Danny Gonzales is the perfect coach for this job and will take us to a high level in this conference. He is going to be so good that the fans will have no choice but to come out and support this team.

I missed the good years. I moved to SoCal in 2000 and moved back in ‘08. I’ve had season tickets ever since gave them away, but wanted to support the Lobos. I  don’t think I’ve ever attended with more than 30k in my life and I’ve been going since the ‘70s. I was gone during the good Davie years. Now I’m back. 

On 9/14/2021 at 10:49 PM, sean327 said:

Rocky should have been there for life. He didn’t give a crap about money or OOC games. I think he got tired of the fans expected a National title form him and always completing about only winning 6-9 games a year.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

19 hours ago, TopLobo said:

butted heads with and a new AD who wanted to hire his own coach because he thought we hit a ceiling with Rocky.

Those Rocky teams were the ceiling. He is a great recruiter and Coach. Its just hard to get kids to come to the ABQ.  

I don't follow the recruiting wars, but i have looked up some of SDSU''s top players. SDSU and the rest of the MW are recruiting the same kids and in the same football hotbeds. SDSU consistently signs more kids that everybody offered than the bottom half of the Conference. When kids have options, they're choosing better options than UNM.

I think Danny and Rocky will do well and will consistently be in the upper half of the Mountain Division. Boy-Z is just to big of a hill to climb to win a Division title.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, robe said:

Rocky should have been there for life. He didn’t give a crap about money or OOC games. I think he got tired of the fans expected a National title form him and always completing about only winning 6-9 games a year.

Beats the hell out 2,1, and 0 win seasons.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor