Jump to content
DoubleBlueGold

USC Fired Helton

Recommended Posts

The Pac-12 will expand, not right now but they will expand it just comes down to who they will want and they already have targets on who they want.

With USC its going to be an outside hire, reading between the lines they pretty much have already said that. You need to look to the new AD to see how his hiring practices have been and USC threw out a lot of names they are looking at but most of that was a smoke screen. You know they already have their short list ready to go, but also if you are their coach you know, just like with Yankees in baseball, every little move you make is going to be looked at through a microscope. 

 

Link to post
Share on other sites
4 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

So, urban Meyer to USC in 3... 2...1, lol

According to Colin Cowherd Dr. Folt blocked the potential hiring of Urban a few years ago. There's a rumor going around campus that she may be stepping down now that she helped steer the university out of all the scandals. I haven't been a huge supporter of her but if we had just another USC guy things may have ended up way worse for the university. If she is stepping down I think a run could be made for Urban despite what he said earlier today. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Trojan209 said:

According to Colin Cowherd Dr. Folt blocked the potential hiring of Urban a few years ago. There's a rumor going around campus that she may be stepping down now that she helped steer the university out of all the scandals. I haven't been a huge supporter of her but if we had just another USC guy things may have ended up way worse for the university. If she is stepping down I think a run could be made for Urban despite what he said earlier today. 

It's BECAUSE of what he said today that I posted that, lol. \

And things change..

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

The Pac-12 will expand, not right now but they will expand it just comes down to who they will want and they already have targets on who they want.

 

The PAC took a hard look at expansion this round. Nothing made sense. If it was going to happen, now was the time. Our tv contract will be coming in a few years. Probably smart to see what that looks like before they start looking at yard sales again.

So unless the B10 starts some chaos, I think we are done for a decade. Our tv $$ is based on 2010 numbers and we also have a lot internal house cleaning to do from Larry Scott's mess with bloated salaries and bad deals on the P12 network.

So far the new guy is getting shit done. We also need to go to 8 conference games. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

Think he'll try to grab Fickell?  My reservation there would be Fickell has been in Ohio his whole life.  Would need some West Coast connections on staff 

Don't see Fickell taking the job.  He's in a perfect position and waiting for Ryan Day to head to the NFL.  Also, he's staunchly Catholic and living in one of the most Catholic cities in the country.  I really don't see him uprooting his family and moving them to LA unless USC is ready to drop guaranteed generational wealth onto the table.  

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, soupslam1 said:

How about Del Rio or another pro coach? It worked with Carroll and Saban. Actually I think it makes the most sense if you get the right guy. 

I wouldn't call Saban a pro guy.  He had a national title at LSU before he went to the NFL and Bama. He also coached at Michigan St for awhile before LSU.  

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Trojan209 said:

According to Colin Cowherd Dr. Folt blocked the potential hiring of Urban a few years ago. There's a rumor going around campus that she may be stepping down now that she helped steer the university out of all the scandals. I haven't been a huge supporter of her but if we had just another USC guy things may have ended up way worse for the university. If she is stepping down I think a run could be made for Urban despite what he said earlier today. 

So Dr. Folt managed to keep USC from hiring Urban Meyer while she was still chancellor at UNC? That's pretty impressive that she was worried about the reputation of a school that wouldn't hire her for another four years. Come on. Try to make message board rumors at least semi-believable. Folt wasn't hired at USC until 2019, which was long after Helton was hired.

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, utenation said:

The PAC took a hard look at expansion this round. Nothing made sense. If it was going to happen, now was the time. Our tv contract will be coming in a few years. Probably smart to see what that looks like before they start looking at yard sales again.

So unless the B10 starts some chaos, I think we are done for a decade. Our tv $$ is based on 2010 numbers and we also have a lot internal house cleaning to do from Larry Scott's mess with bloated salaries and bad deals on the P12 network.

So far the new guy is getting shit done. We also need to go to 8 conference games. 

They are still looking at expansion, they aren't done, but there are some things going on behind the scenes but they are still looking. A lot of things are in flux, in many different conferences and TV deals that are going to be coming up soon. When more of the dominoes are shown things will move even quicker, however remember he is from a different type of background but also remember he gets his directions from the school presidents and with some pulling different ways that puts him in an odd spot as well. But they are still looking

Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, utenation said:

The PAC took a hard look at expansion this round. Nothing made sense. If it was going to happen, now was the time. Our tv contract will be coming in a few years. Probably smart to see what that looks like before they start looking at yard sales again.

So unless the B10 starts some chaos, I think we are done for a decade. Our tv $$ is based on 2010 numbers and we also have a lot internal house cleaning to do from Larry Scott's mess with bloated salaries and bad deals on the P12 network.

So far the new guy is getting shit done. We also need to go to 8 conference games. 

Also with this new Alliance sounds like Pac 12 will be going back to 8 conference games

Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, wolfpack1 said:

They are still looking at expansion, they aren't done, but there are some things going on behind the scenes but they are still looking. A lot of things are in flux, in many different conferences and TV deals that are going to be coming up soon. When more of the dominoes are shown things will move even quicker, however remember he is from a different type of background but also remember he gets his directions from the school presidents and with some pulling different ways that puts him in an odd spot as well. But they are still looking

Really? Do you have legit info on this? But I'll play along, what exactly will this expansion look like? We know the B12 just stabilized.  And I've already said if the B10 starts making moves, it could happen but as of now, they are fine. 

Which teams would be a good fit academically and add value, and significant value? Otherwise, why add to a stable conference? 

Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, utenation said:

Really? Do you have legit info on this?

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-07-27/george-kliavkoff-pac-12-does-not-need-to-expand-after-texas-oklahoma-moves-to-the-sec

“We believe the move by Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 to the SEC strengthens our unique position as the only Power Five conference with teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones,” Kliavkoff said. “Given our investments in football and men’s basketball and historic combination of other sports, we do not think expansion is required to continue to compete and to thrive. “That said, the fallout from Texas and Oklahoma gives an opportunity to once again consider expansion. We’ve already had significant inbound interest from other schools. We will work with our chancellors and presidents to evaluate these opportunities.”

Link to post
Share on other sites
37 minutes ago, azgreg said:

https://www.latimes.com/sports/story/2021-07-27/george-kliavkoff-pac-12-does-not-need-to-expand-after-texas-oklahoma-moves-to-the-sec

“We believe the move by Texas and Oklahoma from the Big 12 to the SEC strengthens our unique position as the only Power Five conference with teams in the Mountain and Pacific time zones,” Kliavkoff said. “Given our investments in football and men’s basketball and historic combination of other sports, we do not think expansion is required to continue to compete and to thrive. “That said, the fallout from Texas and Oklahoma gives an opportunity to once again consider expansion. We’ve already had significant inbound interest from other schools. We will work with our chancellors and presidents to evaluate these opportunities.”

So they are not going to expand but they will keep an open mind about it should an opportunity present itself. 

Nothing new here. 

Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

So they are not going to expand but they will keep an open mind about it should an opportunity present itself. 

Nothing new here. 

That's the nice way of saying, we appreciate all the teams reaching out showing interest but nothing makes sense right now.  And if a golden nugget falls in our lap, we would be stupid not to look at it.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, StanfordAggie said:

So Dr. Folt managed to keep USC from hiring Urban Meyer while she was still chancellor at UNC? That's pretty impressive that she was worried about the reputation of a school that wouldn't hire her for another four years. Come on. Try to make message board rumors at least semi-believable. Folt wasn't hired at USC until 2019, which was long after Helton was hired.

I should have clarified. Carol was hired July 2019 and Bohn was hired November 2019. By the time Bohn was hired USC was already 6-4 and 5-3 in conference play and was pretty much out of the race to win the south by that point. Then they finished the year by getting blown out by Iowa in the Holiday Bowl. Which in came the rumors that Bohn wanted to fire Helton and try to make a run at Urban Meyer and that Folt said no because of his baggage and that she wanted to clean up the universities image. 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Big 12 is not stabilized, and yes Pac 12 is not done with expansion but one thing that will and is slowing things down a bit is different visions from the different presidents as some want to continue on the same path have having like minded school for education while others want to widen things. 

Big 10 has also sent some feelers out about expansion as well

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...