Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

USC Fired Helton

The nice thing about this hire is that it's not going to be done by people with major ties to USC (i.e Swann, Haden Garrett) hiring guys with USC ties. I feel like Bohn won't be swayed by the alumni to hire another Kiffin or Sark just because they've been with the program for 10+ years. I also think the firing had to occur ASAP. The team looked defeated form the opening kick. We thought we turned the corner after SJSU but the missed tackles, stupid penalties, and oddball decisions were going to have us lose out on another recruiting class if we didn't pull the trigger. A few guys already pulled their consideration for USC now, which was expected. But I think if the team already looked ready to quit after game 2 I couldn't imagine what they would have looked like going into October/November. At least with the firing the recruits that are ready to make their decision in the early signing period already know now that Helton isn't coming back. 

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.jpg

On 9/13/2021 at 6:31 PM, rebelcuff said:

I really hope they take James Franklin from Penn State. Grew up in Pennsylvania and that guy is so obnoxious. He turned Penn State into woke state.

I just want to see Penn St tank, so I’m all for Franklin taking the job.

19 minutes ago, Trojan209 said:

The nice thing about this hire is that it's not going to be done by people with major ties to USC (i.e Swann, Haden Garrett) hiring guys with USC ties. I feel like Bohn won't be swayed by the alumni to hire another Kiffin or Sark just because they've been with the program for 10+ years. I also think the firing had to occur ASAP. The team looked defeated form the opening kick. We thought we turned the corner after SJSU but the missed tackles, stupid penalties, and oddball decisions were going to have us lose out on another recruiting class if we didn't pull the trigger. A few guys already pulled their consideration for USC now, which was expected. But I think if the team already looked ready to quit after game 2 I couldn't imagine what they would have looked like going into October/November. At least with the firing the recruits that are ready to make their decision in the early signing period already know now that Helton isn't coming back. 

How do you not lose a recruiting season?

Maybe a quick hire, as in coach Pete or someone else not currently coaching?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

2 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

How do you not lose a recruiting season?

Maybe a quick hire, as in coach Pete or someone else not currently coaching?

Not that we won't lose out on some recruits, because a few have already pulled back. But at least now those that were on the fence before might be more willing to sign on with the right hire. At least these guys won't be waiting and wondering until the end of the season to see what will happen with Helton if they decided to let him finish out the season. I guess we'll see how it goes. I've never seen how recruiting goes when firing a coach mid-season. 

2022_SOC_AnnounceB1G_Web_1920x1080_58_.jpg

2 minutes ago, Trojan209 said:

Not that we won't lose out on some recruits, because a few have already pulled back. But at least now those that were on the fence before might be more willing to sign on with the right hire. At least these guys won't be waiting and wondering until the end of the season to see what will happen with Helton if they decided to let him finish out the season. I guess we'll see how it goes. I've never seen how recruiting goes when firing a coach mid-season. 

It's going to be interesting to watch.

Good luck.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 9/13/2021 at 8:57 PM, 4UNLV said:

I don't know. I just don't think it's a knee jerk reaction to losing to Stanford.

You're right. It was a long overdue and delayed reaction to something that should have happened four years ago.

Kinda like going to the doctor. He administers the knee reflex test in his office and your knee responds after you've left the office.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Cristobal is going to be their obvious first choice, and they'll try and throw a metric +++++ton of money at him.  The problem is that Phil Knight will match anything they offer, so why leave Oregon for the revolving door of coaches at USC?  After that, there really are no obvious answers for USC.  Fickell, Franklin, FLeck, Campbell?  None of them have any ties to the West Coast.  Hope Meyer has another health incident this Fall? Lure Petersen out of retirement?  There is no clear Meyer to Ohio State, Saban to Alabama or Harbaugh to Michigan type of guy waiting in the wings.

1 hour ago, RebelAlliance said:

There is no clear Meyer to Ohio State, Saban to Alabama or Harbaugh to Michigan type of guy waiting in the wings.

Harbaugh to Michigan has proven to be a disaster.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

3 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

You're right. It was a long overdue and delayed reaction to something that should have happened four years ago.

Kinda like going to the doctor. He administers the knee reflex test in his office and your knee responds after you've left the office.

I get that, but why not do it at the end if the season last year, instead of 2 games in? But On the other hand, just get it done. 

I see them maybe trying for Peterson, but I think they look at the NFL. They aren’t going small. 

On 9/13/2021 at 7:12 PM, DoubleBlueGold said:

You know that USC fans don't care about Iowa State's history. They will see an average record of 8-5  as good enough for Iowa State, but for not USC. 

Maybe so. However, any athletic director who hires coaches based on what ignorant fans might say as opposed to what the facts dictate is the right thing to do lacks the guts to keep his or her job.

In this case we're talking about Mike Bohn. I wasn't very impressed with the guy during his short time at SDSU nor thereafter at his alma mater Colorado but he did a great job at Cincinnati and since he's been at USC, he hasn't kowtowed down to rich alumni in the slightest that I'm aware of. So I suspect that if Bohn thinks Matt Campbell is the best man for the job, he will offer it to him.

1 hour ago, Spaztecs said:

Harbaugh to Michigan has proven to be a disaster.

Hiring alumni is stupid. As the Trojan said, just look at how awful their three ADs were. Or how 'bout Tom Craft at SDSU?

To reply to a few other posts, Ed Orgeron will absolutely not be returning to USC. Mario Cristobal will absolutely be the first choice? Seriously? I'm with rebelcuff and Lootz in thinking the the longer Mike Bohn waits to hire a replacement for Helton, the greater the chances he'll try to get James Franklin. https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/as-james-franklin-enters-his-prime-penn-state-hopes-to-hold-off-usc-other-potential-suitors/

37 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Maybe so. However, any athletic director who hires coaches based on what ignorant fans might say as opposed to what the facts dictate is the right thing to do lacks the guts to keep his or her job.

In this case we're talking about Mike Bohn. I wasn't very impressed with the guy during his short time at SDSU nor thereafter at his alma mater Colorado but he did a great job at Cincinnati and since he's been at USC, he hasn't kowtowed down to rich alumni in the slightest that I'm aware of. So I suspect that if Bohn thinks Matt Campbell is the best man for the job, he will offer it to him.

Think he'll try to grab Fickell?  My reservation there would be Fickell has been in Ohio his whole life.  Would need some West Coast connections on staff 

47 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

Unfortunately for Bohn, some of those are the same ones with deep pockets and checks made out to Trojans.

I remember being puzzled when the Arizona Cardinals hired Kliff Kingsbury out from under USC after only a month on the job as offensive coordinator. Its still early, but in hindsight that looks like a solid hire for the Cardinals and a major loss for USC.