Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

USC Fired Helton

So maybe this is how you can hire the assistant.

1st- Keep HC till after the season starts

2nd- Promote AC to IHC

3rd- If the IHC does well you put his name into the search pool and then announce a few weeks later that in the interest of building and continuity he is the new HC.

I realize that the Pac 12 put out a statement saying they are not expanding, which is all well and good, but does that necessarily mean that individual Pac 12 schools are not still exploring other options, such as the Big 10? I just think USC is not content where they are. Somehow this firing 2 games in might be more than what it appears to be on the surface.

I don't know. I just don't think it's a knee jerk reaction to losing to Stanford.

4 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

hell, Eddie O has IMHO maxed out at LSU...I'd switch to USC and see what I could do there.

but that's just me. worst case is you get a raise from LSU

The way he was handled by UCLA, its doubtful he'd receive a warm reception.

7 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

DAMN! Brennan is gone, for sure. JK. Does it affect the MW? Harsin would have been the only coach I saw USC possibly considering. Longs shots are UNR's Norvell and Fresno's DeBoer.

https://twitter.com/USC_mikebohn/status/1437524310348886018?s=20

USC is going to try and go big.  I doubt they even look at a MW coach.  Their boosters want a big name coach.

36 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

hell, Eddie O has IMHO maxed out at LSU...I'd switch to USC and see what I could do there.

but that's just me. worst case is you get a raise from LSU

Orgeron took over as USC interim HC after Kiffin was fired. He led the Trojans to a 6-2 record, but he got blasted by UCLA while he was there. He ended up not getting the job and USC hired Sark to replace him and we all know how that turned out.

0918_FootballVBoise(Weir)6081.jpg.91934a8a511e3532b39599f1988bbacb.jpg

1 hour ago, 4UNLV said:

I realize that the Pac 12 put out a statement saying they are not expanding, which is all well and good, but does that necessarily mean that individual Pac 12 schools are not still exploring other options, such as the Big 10? I just think USC is not content where they are. Somehow this firing 2 games in might be more than what it appears to be on the surface.

I don't know. I just don't think it's a knee jerk reaction to losing to Stanford.

There have been some boosters that have wanted Helton gone for 2 years.  They were just itching to can him.  I don't think it is much deeper than that.

27 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

ah, bad blood...gotcha

Sorry. I edited my error. I mean the way UCLA dominated LSU a couple of Saturdays ago. That won't be forgotten anytime soon. 

29 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

2 things:

1) I mentally inserted the crying laughing emoji at the end of this thread title 

2) urban Meyer must hate the nfl. I see a Bobby petrino situation in his near future

I didn't know Meyer liked to drive motorcycles.  

3 hours ago, Wyobraska said:

There have been some boosters that have wanted Helton gone for 2 years.  They were just itching to can him.  I don't think it is much deeper than that.

I know they wanted him gone, and it's most likely only that. But even if unrelated, I still am not sure that USC is content where they are.

15 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

DAMN! Brennan is gone, for sure. JK. Does it affect the MW? Harsin would have been the only coach I saw USC possibly considering. Longs shots are UNR's Norvell and Fresno's DeBoer.

About two years to late.

They coulda had Ed Orgeron or Urban Meyer. They kept choosing the "Nice Guy".

I think they should reach out to Rocky Long. He would finally be able to recruit a quarterback.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

15 hours ago, 702Canary said:

USC fans would go apeshit if they tried to hire the SJSU coach after Helton.  Not happening.  It's gonna have to be a big time name.

I don't know about that.

They hired an unknown assistant from Oregon (when they were the UNLV of their Conference) 1960 and he won a shit ton of Natty's and Rose Bowls.

Americans Mayor

14 hours ago, NMpackalum said:

An internal hire probably doesn't do it after the offensive performances this year. Slovis has regressed and the O line is bad. Harrell should be putting out his feelers, maybe trade for Fickell at Cincinatti.

That is the difference between the Top 10-12 teams and the rest of CFB. There are tons of skill players to go around. What seperates the top programs from everyone else is the trenches.

When Helton announced he was going to run the Spread Offense, my mind immediately went to, "He doesn't have the horses in the trenches." 

SC has been average in the trenches since  Pete Carroll left.

Americans Mayor

13 hours ago, 702Canary said:

Agree,  Del Rio and Anthony Lynn should be on the very short list.

Anthony Lynn ?

:rotflmfao:

He made Norv Turner look like a genius when it came to clock management and winning close games.

Americans Mayor

30 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

I think they should reach out to Rocky Long. He would finally be able to recruit a quarterback.

As a Lobo fan I’d hate it. As a football fan I’d love to see Rocky’s defense run with USC’s talent level. 

The story so far:

In the beginning the Universe was created.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.