Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

USC Fired Helton

22 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

I think they want Harrell to win the job.  He probably shoulda be HC this year anyways.  Helton can go back to managing a Wendy's,

I doubt the boosters will allow another promotion. They will go external, with prior NFL experience very likely. Think Del Rio, O' Brien or Lynn. I suspect they will give a good look at Seattle OC, Dave Canales. Local roots- Carson HS, El Camino CC, APU- Pete Carroll protege. Has been molded by him since their time at SC. Speaking of Carroll, one of his sons is an OC in the NFL. I expect they will look in that direction too.

56 minutes ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Thamel's thoughts from Yahoo Sports:

Mr Thamel seems to be unaware of the XFL's current condition with regards to Bob Stoops.  Or that Matt Rhule isnt at Baylor, but the Carolina Panthers.  Good work, Pete.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

4 minutes ago, RSF said:

Mr Thamel seems to be unaware of the XFL's current condition with regards to Bob Stoops.

Yeah, I noticed that too.  But I think Stoops and Petersen both retired early for a reason.  They don't need to deal with the drama and feel like they've made enough of an impact.

7 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I doubt the boosters will allow another promotion. They will go external, with prior NFL experience very likely. Think Del Rio, O' Brien or Lynn. I suspect they will give a good look at Seattle OC, Dave Canales. Local roots- Carson HS, El Camino CC, APU- Pete Carroll protege. Has been molded by him since their time at SC. Speaking of Carroll, one of his sons is an OC in the NFL. I expect they will look in that direction too.

Agree,  Del Rio and Anthony Lynn should be on the very short list.

1 minute ago, bsu_alum9 said:

Yeah, I noticed that too.  But I think Stoops and Petersen both retired early for a reason.  They don't need to deal with the drama and feel like they've made enough of an impact.

Similar to what I told my brother. Petersen's departure from UW was all of a sudden. There's a reason for that. He's not coming to SC. Also, he continues to look uncomfortable behind the camera. I was impressed when I saw him as an analyst on Saturday night. It is obvious that he still dislikes it, though. At USC, the camera is on 24/7.

18 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I think your logic is much better than Thamel's.  All those midwest/eastern dudes are going to have a tough time in Southern California.  The biggest problem with the PAC is the exodus of players from California to the SEC/ACC/B1G.  Ever since Carrol left the PAC the players have been leaving in droves, a big name NFL dude could help stop that.

1 minute ago, MrBug708 said:

I hope they hire Brennan. If Chip fails, I dont want him as an option for UCLA.

Eventually, fUCLA, AZ or OS will hire him. Based on fUCLA's performance two Saturday nights ago and AZ having a year-one coach, it might be OS.

The mid season firing of Sark was necessary because he was boozing on the job.  Kiffin had become dead man walking and was a huge distraction  so it was appropriate, although not waiting till get got back to LA after the game was poor on Hayden’s part.

they gave Helton plenty of rope, I just don’t get keeping him all this time, then canning him the second week of the season after a loss to Stanford.  

1 hour ago, 702Canary said:

1 hour ago, bsu_alum9 said:

I think your logic is much better than Thamel's.  All those midwest/eastern dudes are going to have a tough time in Southern California.  The biggest problem with the PAC is the exodus of players from California to the SEC/ACC/B1G.  Ever since Carrol left the PAC the players have been leaving in droves, a big name NFL dude could help stop that.

24 minutes ago, CPslograd said:

The mid season firing of Sark was necessary because he was boozing on the job.  Kiffin had become dead man walking and was a huge distraction  so it was appropriate, although not waiting till get got back to LA after the game was poor on Hayden’s part.

they gave Helton plenty of rope, I just don’t get keeping him all this time, then canning him the second week of the season after a loss to Stanford.  

It is the final year of his contract, cheaper buyout, so I think that is why they pulled the trigger. Granted, it is SC, but you don't fire someone without having a plan. While I expect the next coach to be from the league, I forgot that Bohn was Fickell's AD at UCincy. That's a hot name, Meyer protege, leads a metropolitan university, has had consecutive winning seasons, helped get the bearkats into the BXII. Could they have spoken yesterday or earlier today?

1 hour ago, 702Canary said:

I never favor hiring legacies (although as a USC hater, I would have no problem with them hiring OJ). As to Lynn, I like the guy a lot but he lost way too many close games while with the Chargers and his replacement won just such a game yesterday in his coming out party.

The poster who said Matt Campbell's star has fallen obviously has no idea about the history of football at Iowa Effing State: http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/IowaState.htm

1 hour ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I never favor hiring legacies (although as a USC hater, I would have no problem with them hiring OJ). As to Lynn, I like the guy a lot but he lost way too many close games while with the Chargers and his replacement won just such a game yesterday in his coming out party.

The poster who said Matt Campbell's star has fallen obviously has no idea about the history of football at Iowa Effing State: http://www.jhowell.net/cf/scores/IowaState.htm

You know that USC fans don't care about Iowa State's history. They will see an average record of 8-5  as good enough for Iowa State, but for not USC.