Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

DoubleBlueGold

USC Fired Helton

Thamel's thoughts from Yahoo Sports:

The frontrunner for USC to target likely shifts to Penn State’s James Franklin, a move that would take a substantial amount of money considering the revenue gaps between the two schools. If they can’t sell Franklin on coming — and assuming Bob Stoops is happy in the XFL — they can sift through a list that would likely include Utah’s Kyle Whittingham, Baylor’s Matt Rhule, Minnesota’s P.J. Fleck, Iowa State’s Matt Campbell, Cincinnati’s Luke Fickell and Memphis’ Mike Norvell.

2 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Being fired two days after losing to Stanford makes me think, had SJSU pulled off the upset, he would have been fired before getting off of the field and the end of the game. Ala Lane Kiffin fired in the ASU tunnel/locker rooms immediately after losing that game.

Maybe they would have beaten Stanford if they lost to SJ.

Just now, sjs1968Track said:

I would think that USC has to go with a large name.

I'm thinking: PJ Fleck - Has he done anything of significance at Minnie? This would be an underwhelming and outrageous hire for SC fans.

James Franklin- Can he be lured away? Would be in interesting hire.

Matt Campbell- Has been average at ISU. See PJ Fleck.

I agree with you that it will have to be a hot name.

5 minutes ago, NMpackalum said:

Maybe they would have beaten Stanford if they lost to SJ.

Without Helton, they might have be re-energized. We'll see this Saturday.

4 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

Fleck would be close enough to the ocean.  Maybe his team really could row the boat.

His requirement for rowing the boat is how Fleck missed out on Zach Wilson:

Minnesota offered Wilson in late October, about four months after his commitment to Boise State, as head coach PJ Fleck had zeroed in on a target during his first year with the program.

"(Coach Fleck) had this big thing where he always would talk about Row the Boat; Zach didn't know what it was and I didn't know what it was," Mike Wilson said. "They had a bunch of conversations and at the end their big sell was to get PJ Fleck on the phone with Zach, so he gets on the phone and they're talking for a few minutes. He keeps talking about Row the Boat, Row the Boat, and Zach looks at me and says, 'What does Row the Boat mean?'

"At the end of this long, big conversation coach Fleck is laying it out hard and he's a great motivator. And at the end he goes, 'Zach, are you ready to Row the Boat with me?' And Zach goes, 'I'm sorry coach, I can't Row the Boat.' We didn't know anything about that. After the meeting we looked up videos to see what that meant."

https://247sports.com/LongFormArticle/NFL-Draft-QB-Zach-Wilson-college-schools-that-missed-recruiting-BYU-Utah-Cal-Minnesota-Iowa-Boise-State-164810502/#164810502_3

54 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

USC fans would go apeshit if they tried to hire the SJSU coach after Helton.  Not happening.  It's gonna have to be a big time name.

This

San Jose State
Announced: 85,235
Scanned: 33,892
Percentage: 39.8%
Actual Attendance Per Game: 5,648

4 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

I think they want Harrell to win the job.  He probably shoulda be HC this year anyways.  Helton can go back to managing a Wendy's,

An internal hire probably doesn't do it after the offensive performances this year. Slovis has regressed and the O line is bad. Harrell should be putting out his feelers, maybe trade for Fickell at Cincinatti.

39 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Being fired two days after losing to Stanford makes me think, had SJSU pulled off the upset, he would have been fired before getting off of the field and the end of the game. Ala Lane Kiffin fired in the ASU tunnel/locker rooms immediately after losing that game.

https://www.foxsports.com/stories/college-football/three-years-ago-today-lane-kiffin-was-fired-on-an-airport-tarmac#:~:text=It was on September 29th%2C 2013%2Cthat former Trojans',International Airport following a loss to Arizona State.

Chris Petersen had just joined Fox Sports to work as an analyst.  The realignment, in which Whittingham(Utah) and Patterson(TCU) were granted seats at the table but not him at Boise State, combined with the existence of the transfer portal, may have taken their toll on him.  I don't see him coming back to coaching after all of the crazy stuff that has occurred since 2010.