Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Eat_Your_Dried_Fruits

MW home attendance numbers week 2

Considering how bad Nevada's attendance has been as of late I was pretty happy with the crowd. 

The students showed up, and it was a great atmosphere for an FCS game. Now hopefully if we can beat/compete against Boise and K-State it will start to increase. This team and Norvell deserve it. 

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

It was obviously tickets sold, not butts in the seats. 

But that is not the way it's been counted for decades. I get it, new AD trying to create more excitement by inflating the numbers in hopes that it will lead to a trend in sellouts.  I'd rather see the real numbers.

17 minutes ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Chris Murray
@ByChrisMurray
The 23,965 fans who attended Nevada's home opener against Idaho State
were the most for a game at Mackay Stadium in the Jay Norvell era and most since the stadium's 2016 renovation.
Student attendance was more than double its average from 2019.

Nice crowd. Biggest student section in years. Plus, they opened up the tailgating. Students had actual tailgaters!! The beer garden area was fun. Didn’t hurt that the weather was perfect. 

24 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Nice crowd. Biggest student section in years. Plus, they opened up the tailgating. Students had actual tailgaters!! The beer garden area was fun. Didn’t hurt that the weather was perfect. 

the Mackay concessions staff were not up to the crowd.  Some guy nearby  said he waited 30 minutes for his beer. Thats dedication to a cause!

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 hour ago, Lester_in_reno said:

Chris Murray
@ByChrisMurray
The 23,965 fans who attended Nevada's home opener against Idaho State
were the most for a game at Mackay Stadium in the Jay Norvell era and most since the stadium's 2016 renovation.
Student attendance was more than double its average from 2019.

I'm highly impressed by your AD. That person has made some great coaching hires and although I never thought I would say as much, metro area size notwithstanding, your school is now considerably more valuable to the conference than your rival down south which if it can't stop tripping over its own feet is going to get a self-induced concussion one of these days.

I'll be curious to see if SDSU can even break 10 grand on Saturday. Everybody among SD media seems to be blaming the commute but I'm here to tell you that another reason nobody showed up for the opener against NMSU is the price of tickets. They ain't cheap; prolly as expensive as seats in the new stadium in Mission Valley. I'll be there Saturday for Utah but not sure I'll make any other home games this year.

the Mackay concessions staff were not up to the crowd.  Some guy nearby  said he waited 30 minutes for his beer. Thats dedication to a cause!

I waited too and missed much of the halftime. Which sucked because I wanted to see Kaep and just caught the tail-end of the ceremony. Here’s something I noticed. Nevada stops selling beer at the end of half. Cal doesn’t. I’m not even sure it stopped in the 4th quarter. Times have changed. 

4 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

I'm highly impressed by your AD. That person has made some great coaching hires and although I never thought I would say as much, metro area size notwithstanding, your school is now considerably more valuable to the conference than your rival down south which if it can't stop tripping over its own feet is going to get a self-induced concussion one of these days.

I'll be curious to see if SDSU can even break 10 grand on Saturday. Everybody among SD media seems to be blaming the commute but I'm here to tell you that another reason nobody showed up for the opener against NMSU is the price of tickets. They ain't cheap; prolly as expensive as seats in the new stadium in Mission Valley. I'll be there Saturday for Utah but not sure I'll make any other home games this year.

Eh, let's just still lie and say it's a sellout.  Seems to piss off the ladyboys in Boise.  

38 minutes ago, 818SUDSFan said:

yep! I think its amazing Doug Knuth hasn't been poached by a "bigger boy U". $$$$

I think he likes the area.

and UNR is looking good with all their new buildings and dorms too!

cerified_Subarus.jpg

1 hour ago, NevadaFan said:

I waited too and missed much of the halftime. Which sucked because I wanted to see Kaep and just caught the tail-end of the ceremony. Here’s something I noticed. Nevada stops selling beer at the end of half. Cal doesn’t. I’m not even sure it stopped in the 4th quarter. Times have changed. 

At least in the area that I was buying Cal cutoff beer sales right at the end of halftime. They were pouring ours right as the third quarter began and wouldn't allow anyone behind us (who'd been waiting in line for 15 minutes) to order any. 

But the concession lines at Mackay were insane. That's easy revenue just going out the window...

2 minutes ago, bigd said:

At least in the area that I was buying Cal cutoff beer sales right at the end of halftime. They were pouring ours right as the third quarter began and wouldn't allow anyone behind us (who'd been waiting in line for 15 minutes) to order any. 

But the concession lines at Mackay were insane. That's easy revenue just going out the window...

Ah. My wife cut me off mid-third quarter.  😬 I had a headache for two days after the game. 

3 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

But that is not the way it's been counted for decades. I get it, new AD trying to create more excitement by inflating the numbers in hopes that it will lead to a trend in sellouts.  I'd rather see the real numbers.

Yeah, we have always been BITS.  Not a fan of the SDSU counting method. Tickets sold gives us a good idea of the money the program is bringing in though.

yep! I think its amazing Doug Knuth hasn't been poached by a "bigger boy U". $$$$

I think he likes the area.

and UNR is looking good with all their new buildings and dorms too!

He's doing great. Not every hire is a homer,  but he's still getting singles and doubles in there, with a low strike out rate.

4 hours ago, bsu_alum9 said:

For those wondering, we were able to purchase the turnstiles from Qualcomm on the cheap after SDSU relocated to Carson, CA.

Looked more like about 28k to me

Yeah, it was one of the smallest home crowds I've seen in decades. New AD obviously switched from turnstile to sold

58 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Yeah, we have always been BITS.  Not a fan of the SDSU counting method. Tickets sold gives us a good idea of the money the program is bringing in though.

I worked in the front office for a professional sports team and every team in our league reported tickets sold/out (including comps).  I can't think of any other professional league/team that reports bits.  Every team has a turnstile count, too, but it has always been tickets distributed that gets publicly reported.  

2 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

What'chu talkin' bout 818? Tickets in Carson are ridiculously cheap. 

4 hours ago, NevadaFan said:

I liked that they let the south endzone fans come all the way up to the fence and most students stood for the game.  In years past security kept everyone away which hurts the vibe. 

"You pukin morons are just plain too dumb."

-bluerules008 aka jibscout aka Hal "Mosquito Man" Newman