Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Holy War Game Thread

4 minutes ago, Mano said:

Algier had 102, but on 27 attempts, less than 4 ypc. Utah's defense on running backs was fine, the thing that killed them was Hall making all those 3rd and medium to long conversions because he was able to evade the pass rush and either run for it or find someone open. 

I think the QB spot is fine, but the WR's have not been getting a lot of separation, and there have been a lot of drops. BYU was blitzing a lot and it was not getting picked up, either because line or RB's missed an assignment, so there was only so much Brewer could do. I don't think the coaches prepared them for the pressure BYU brought, and they assumed that they would play the same against Utah as they did Arizona, which was not the case. 

I don't know what Utah looks like this week, I could see anything from a loss to them blowing the Aztecs out. I don't think film and practice will be pleasant this year, hoping they respond with a big effort.

The running game didn't seem to produce much for BYU early in the game, but opened up quite a bit later.  That was probably a combination of the BYU's OL wearing down Utah's DL and Hall keeping Utah's D honest with his QB keepers so they couldn't just crash down on the running backs. 

Allgeier's average in the first quarter was 2.33 yards per carry.  It dipped in the second quarter to 1.5.  But then in the third quarter it was 6 and the fourth quarter it was 5.3.  In the first half, he only had 2 runs of more than 4 yards and got stopped for a loss on a third of his carries.  In the second half, he was only stopped for a loss once and he had runs over 4 yards on 8 of his 14 second-half carries.

You're right about Hall extending drives.  I was surprised at how few passing yards Hall had during the game.  When they showed a graphic, I figured it must be incorrect.  It turned out the graphic was correct.  He was not particularly efficient throwing the ball (18 of 30 for 149 yards), but he did throw three touchdowns and was very effective in moving the chains both through the air and with his feet.  He was not flustered in the face of rushers.  He showed nice spatial awareness, avoided the rush, and often connected with his receivers while he was on the run.  No sacks, no turnovers. 

His ESPN QBR for the game was 92.8, which is better than all but three of Zach Wilson's games last year - and even those were pretty close (93.2 vs Troy, 94.0 vs LaTech, 93.2 vs North Alabama).

BYU brought a lot more pressure this week than they did against Arizona or, really, for any other game I can remember since Sitake has been the head coach.  Utah was not ready for it.  And it seems that Brewer is not the dual-threat as a rusher that has often killed BYU when they have tried to bring pressure in the past.  Brewer got sacked twice, intercepted once, hit many times, and tipped (and nearly intercepted again) at least one other time. 

I would think that they'll be better prepared for what they will face from SDSU's defense this week (though they won't necessarily fare any better).

I didn't see the SDSU game, so I'm not sure what to make of their offensive production, nor do I have an opinion on how well Utah's defense will be able to stop the Aztec offensive attack.

2 hours ago, Mano said:

Algier had 102, but on 27 attempts, less than 4 ypc. Utah's defense on running backs was fine, the thing that killed them was Hall making all those 3rd and medium to long conversions because he was able to evade the pass rush and either run for it or find someone open. 

I think the QB spot is fine, but the WR's have not been getting a lot of separation, and there have been a lot of drops. BYU was blitzing a lot and it was not getting picked up, either because line or RB's missed an assignment, so there was only so much Brewer could do. I don't think the coaches prepared them for the pressure BYU brought, and they assumed that they would play the same against Utah as they did Arizona, which was not the case. 

I don't know what Utah looks like this week, I could see anything from a loss to them blowing the Aztecs out. I don't think film and practice will be pleasant this year, hoping they respond with a big effort.

3.8 x 3 equals 11.4, which would average a first down.  The first half the Utah D held BYU to 49 yards rush (K Whit said in his press conference).  But the second half is where both Hall and Allgeier were getting big chunk plays on the ground.

17 hours ago, SparkysDad said:

Didn't watch the game (just the highlights) but it appeared when Utah was moving the ball, the BYU DB's (and sometimes LB's) weren't the best in coverage.

Was it just the pressure the Ute QB was under? At least in the highlights, it appeared the Utah WR's were running pretty free...

Brewer isnt a dual threat. He isn’t a Utah type QB. BYU did a 180 to its defense and pressured him all day. To be fair I doubt Utah had prep much for a blitzing BYU defense. They probably had prep almost entirely on a 3 man rush. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

The ratings for this game were better than for BYU's game against Arizona the prior week, which is not particularly surprising.  It had 1.5 million total viewers, which was good for 9th among the weekend's college football games.  All of the games rated better included at least one Big 10 or SEC team. 

I'm surprised that the game edged out the Stanford-USC game which was broadcast over the air on Fox (1.4 million total viewers), though that game did start even later - 11:56 pm ET vs 10:20 pm ET for BYU-Utah.

One of the curious things about the ratings is the key 18-49 demographic that is reported separately from total viewers at the site below.  The Utah-BYU game drew 698k in that demographic, which was the 7th highest of the weekend, beating out Pittsburgh-Tennessee on ESPN (516k) and Florida-South Florida on ABC (468k).

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekly-sports-tv-ratings-9-6-9-12-2021.html

I don't see any of the other new Big 12 additions (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) on the ratings list for the week.  Did they all have byes this weekend?  Or maybe they were all playing on CBS Sports Network, which doesn't report their ratings?

1 hour ago, Pelado said:

Would you think less of me if I told you I don't know what that means?

It was a hastily submitted link solicitation, before realizing the thread was old. 

Wanted to catch the end. 

Votr!

New-Signature.jpg

32 minutes ago, Jeffkills said:

It was a hastily submitted link solicitation, before realizing the thread was old. 

Wanted to catch the end. 

Votr!

Here's a link to the game - you can watch the whole thing if you want: https://www.byutv.org/player/8f055430-4071-40bc-8fc3-d7fa7f44c248/byu-football-utah-vs-byu-91121

On 9/12/2021 at 8:34 PM, robe said:

Utesnations reality just got blown up. Somebody better go check on him.

Poor guy hasn't posted in days.   All that smack last week and then he disappeared after that beatdown.   

Yeah… where is this vaunted national fan base of BYU?  Only 1.5 million viewers?  I’m sure half of that is from fans of the Utes.

same goes for Navy and Air Force.  Those “national fan bases” only drew 1.07 million viewers on CBS?

https://www.sportsmediawatch.com/college-football-tv-ratings/

12 hours ago, Pelado said:

The ratings for this game were better than for BYU's game against Arizona the prior week, which is not particularly surprising.  It had 1.5 million total viewers, which was good for 9th among the weekend's college football games.  All of the games rated better included at least one Big 10 or SEC team. 

I'm surprised that the game edged out the Stanford-USC game which was broadcast over the air on Fox (1.4 million total viewers), though that game did start even later - 11:56 pm ET vs 10:20 pm ET for BYU-Utah.

One of the curious things about the ratings is the key 18-49 demographic that is reported separately from total viewers at the site below.  The Utah-BYU game drew 698k in that demographic, which was the 7th highest of the weekend, beating out Pittsburgh-Tennessee on ESPN (516k) and Florida-South Florida on ABC (468k).

https://showbuzzdaily.com/articles/skedball-weekly-sports-tv-ratings-9-6-9-12-2021.html

I don't see any of the other new Big 12 additions (Cincinnati, Houston, UCF) on the ratings list for the week.  Did they all have byes this weekend?  Or maybe they were all playing on CBS Sports Network, which doesn't report their ratings?

More impressive is all that despite the late kickoff time.  My guess is that will be one of the higher rated games all year for ESPN in that time slot.

v0icAvfW.jpg

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

Yeah… where is this vaunted national fan base of BYU?  Only 1.5 million viewers?  I’m sure half of that is from fans of the Utes.

same goes for Navy and Air Force.  Those “national fan bases” only drew 1.07 million viewers on CBS?

It appears some don't understand the concept of a "time slot" and what represents "good" ratings for a game starting at 10:30 pm eastern.   

BYU v Utah beat USC v Stanford. And no, Utes don't draw ratings like BYU.

BYU is the ESPN Saturday night cap for the 3rd week in a row for a reason. 

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

1 hour ago, MWC Tex said:

Clueless are we....

1 hour ago, Cougar/Frog said:

Interesting. So on the ratings of the Utah/BYU game, you know which TV's were BYU and Utah?

And this link has already been posted here a dozen times. It appears Utah does have more eyeballs and this is a decent window to compare.  

https://medium.com/run-it-back-with-zach/which-college-football-programs-bring-in-the-most-tv-viewers-efc03c689e50

BYU fans are one of the only fanbases I know that run around with TV ratings in their back pocket and it doesn't appear that Utah is a good comparison for this topic.

10 hours ago, x97 said:

Poor guy hasn't posted in days.   All that smack last week and then he disappeared after that beatdown.   

So what did this game prove? BYU can beat Utah 1 time in 10 games? I noticed you weren't around on Utah's 9 wins..

Poor guy... Only a 10% win %.....

3 hours ago, MWC Tex said:

It was like the 8th best rated game of the day, played at like 10 at night.

It's ok, buddy. We know you're sad BYU was invited, when you said for years they wouldn't be. Let it out.

I'll let you in on a little secret. BYU and Utah fans watch each others games.

Bob Belcher Grasping At Straws GIF by Bob's Burgers

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

1 hour ago, Cougar/Frog said:

It appears some don't understand the concept of a "time slot" and what represents "good" ratings for a game starting at 10:30 pm eastern.   

BYU is the ESPN Saturday night cap for the 3rd week in a row for a reason. 

Times lots don’t matter for BYU especially against a rival!  Show your “national fan base “ is all that you make it to be.