Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

tailingpermit

Holy War Game Thread

Just a couple of thoughts. BYU didn’t win on some fluke. We controlled this games. Sitake out coached Whittingham which doesn’t happen often.

on a number of positions BYU looked more athletic. QB, WR. The other sets were even which honestly I haven’t been able to say that in years. When is the last time BYU DL look as good as Utah’s. Utah’s DL look solid but they didn’t dominant BYU’s OL. BYU’s OL handled them well. Slight edge to the Utah RB.

Brewer isn’t a good fit for Utah. I hope Utah try’s to use Brewer like QB’s from now on. Utah not having a dual threat QB really made BYU’s defense an easier night. Utah has a team that matches up well for BYU’s strengths. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

36 minutes ago, robe said:

Just a couple of thoughts. BYU didn’t win on some fluke. We controlled this games. Sitake out coached Whittingham which doesn’t happen often.

on a number of positions BYU looked more athletic. QB, WR. The other sets were even which honestly I haven’t been able to say that in years. When is the last time BYU DL look as good as Utah’s. Utah’s DL look solid but they didn’t dominant BYU’s OL. BYU’s OL handled them well. Slight edge to the Utah RB.

Brewer isn’t a good fit for Utah. I hope Utah try’s to use Brewer like QB’s from now on. Utah not having a dual threat QB really made BYU’s defense an easier night. Utah has a team that matches up well for BYU’s strengths. 

IMO, the key difference in the game was:

3rd Down: Utah 2-9, BYU 11-19

4th Down:  Utah 0-2, BYU 1-1

44 minutes ago, pacougar said:

There were a lot of keys. To me the 0 turnovers and 0 sacks were as important as anything.  No turnovers and I think one sack in two games is huge. Keep that up and it could be a very good season.

I was really worried when the rain started to fall. I thought a TO or 2 was on its way for BYU.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

congrats BYU, we were dominated in that game. I feel good for Sitaki, there was probably a time a few years back that I wasn't sure he'd last at BYU but he's done a fantastic job.

maybe a brutal loss in week 2 makes you focus, prepare and work harder, or maybe it simply means you've got big problems? I don't know which it is with Utah, probably a little of both.

I swear Utah is the place for QBs go to die. Why do they struggle at that spot no matter how many stars they bring in? Is it just a product of Whitt's system?

One thing that has become apparent is that it doesn't seem like anyone cares about this game anymore except in Utah, and more specifically Utah County. For BYU fans and players it became this obsession to get the monkey of their back (understandably) but now what? I mean, eventually it had to happen right? Those poor BYU students have no reference - they were 6 years old the last time it happened and will probably be 30 year olds with 5 kids the next time it happens.

What conclusions do Ute and Coog fans draw from this game?

29 minutes ago, TrueAg said:

I swear Utah is the place for QBs go to die. Why do they struggle at that spot no matter how many stars they bring in? Is it just a product of Whitt's system?

One thing that has become apparent is that it doesn't seem like anyone cares about this game anymore except in Utah, and more specifically Utah County. For BYU fans and players it became this obsession to get the monkey of their back (understandably) but now what? I mean, eventually it had to happen right? Those poor BYU students have no reference - they were 6 years old the last time it happened and will probably be 30 year olds with 5 kids the next time it happens.

What conclusions do Ute and Coog fans draw from this game?

I hear people blaming Utah's QB Charlie Brewer and other than a bad throw that was picked he did about as well as he could with the time he was given IMO. He's a solid QB and proved it at Baylor. He was solid in week 1. Utah didn't lose this game with skill players they lost it up front on O and D.

And people forget Tyler Huntley, all he did was lead Utah to back to back PAC12 championship games. He was as good as we've had since Brian Johnson.

Time for the BYU and Utah talk to be gone from the MWC board. Move along fellas. Isn’t there a Mormon board where you all can talk smack to each other on?

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

4 minutes ago, Del Scorcho said:

I hear people blaming Utah's QB Charlie Brewer and other than a bad throw that was picked he did about as well as he could with the time he was given IMO. He's a solid QB and proved it at Baylor. He was solid in week 1. Utah didn't lose this game with skill players they lost it up front on O and D.

And people forget Tyler Huntley, all he did was lead Utah to back to back PAC12 championship games. He was as good as we've had since Brian Johnson.

I think he's a really good QB.

BYU dropped 7 or 8 and pressured him with 3 or 4. It's hard to make great throws like that. He had a few that were awesome. He also faced a lot of pressure and the run game didn't help him much of the game. the WRs had 5 catches for 46 yards, pretty pedestrian especially given the talent level of that group.

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

Didn't watch the game (just the highlights) but it appeared when Utah was moving the ball, the BYU DB's (and sometimes LB's) weren't the best in coverage.

Was it just the pressure the Ute QB was under? At least in the highlights, it appeared the Utah WR's were running pretty free...

24 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Didn't watch the game (just the highlights) but it appeared when Utah was moving the ball, the BYU DB's (and sometimes LB's) weren't the best in coverage.

Was it just the pressure the Ute QB was under? At least in the highlights, it appeared the Utah WR's were running pretty free...

I felt like he was pressured much of the night. Utah's OL needs some work. I think they've had some injuries and problems there, but I'll defer to the Utah fans on that.

What you didn't see was 2 early turnovers, Utah missing a long FG, BYU stopping Utah on 4th and 2 at the 5 yard line with 2 minutes left in the half, then going down the field and scoring at TD right before the half. Utah had a better half in the 2nd half. They only ran like 50 plays the whole game, BYU possessed the ball 11 minutes longer and ran for over 200 yards on Utah's defense, so they kept the offense off the field. BYU put the game away on a long drive that resulted in a FG and put BYU up by 9. 

Biggest thing that happened was BYU was able to convert third downs, possess the ball, and run the ball against Utah. Those are things we haven't been able to do, really ever, during this streak. I can't remember BYU having a 100+ yard rusher against Utah in ages, and our QB ran for 80 as well.

Utah returned their whole team and I still think Whittingham will have them ready for SDSU.

Something that hasn't been talked about is that I think they might be having some hangover from that poor kid that accidentally shot himself. That kind of stuff can hang over the program, I'd think. 

Image result for jim mcmahon with lavell edwardsImage result for byu logoImage result for byu boise state end zone hail maryc07489bb8bb7f5bad3672877f8b04f34.jpg

26 minutes ago, SparkysDad said:

Highlights show the highlights, BYU DB's made a number of good plays on the ball.  BYU has played a lot more man this year than I can remember in like forever in these first 2 games.  BYU has 6 sacks in these first 2 games, with 2 against Utah.  In the last 4 games against Utah BYU had a grand total of 1 sack (the 2018 game), Utah's OL and DL are just that good.  So I really like the idea that BYU's OL and DL have looked to get to the same level as Utah's.   Because Utah's O and D lines are very, very talented and good this year, San Diego St better have things strapped up this Saturday (those OL and DL will have red in their eyes).

8 minutes ago, Rev McQuervo said:

Watched the game. Unimpressed with either team.

Our lines will be ready.

Utah’s defense isn’t anything like it’s been in the past. They usually have three or four big Samoans on the Dline that stuff any chance at running the ball. 

1 hour ago, SparkysDad said:

9 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Highlights show the highlights, BYU DB's made a number of good plays on the ball.  BYU has played a lot more man this year than I can remember in like forever in these first 2 games.  BYU has 6 sacks in these first 2 games, with 2 against Utah.  In the last 4 games against Utah BYU had a grand total of 1 sack (the 2018 game), Utah's OL and DL are just that good.  So I really like the idea that BYU's OL and DL have looked to get to the same level as Utah's.   Because Utah's O and D lines are very, very talented and good this year, San Diego St better have things strapped up this Saturday (those OL and DL will have red in their eyes).

Yes, the highlights don't show the full picture.  There's a reason why Brewer only passed for 147 yards.  BYU's DB successfully defended several balls downfield.  There were at least a couple of plays in which BYU's coverage wasn't great - one was on Utah's first touchdown.  There was another - Utah's longest pass play (37 yards) - on which the defender slipped, leaving Kincaid wide open.

Where BYU's defense really struggled was against Bernard running the ball.  He had 146 yards on 12 carries - 12.2 yards per carry.  Even if you take out his longest run of 50 yards, he still averaged 8.7 yards on the remaining 11 carries.

A few areas in which BYU fared much better than they have over the last decade:

• Didn't allow any turnovers
  • Didn't allow any defensive scores
  • Didn't give up any sacks
  • Sacked Utah twice
  • Didn't give up any turnovers
  • Forced two turnovers (though they only scored 3 points total off of the turnovers)
  • Rushed for over 200 yards
  • Controlled the clock

23 minutes ago, Jack Bauer said:

I felt like he was pressured much of the night. Utah's OL needs some work. I think they've had some injuries and problems there, but I'll defer to the Utah fans on that.

What you didn't see was 2 early turnovers, Utah missing a long FG, BYU stopping Utah on 4th and 2 at the 5 yard line with 2 minutes left in the half, then going down the field and scoring at TD right before the half. Utah had a better half in the 2nd half. They only ran like 50 plays the whole game, BYU possessed the ball 11 minutes longer and ran for over 200 yards on Utah's defense, so they kept the offense off the field. BYU put the game away on a long drive that resulted in a FG and put BYU up by 9. 

Biggest thing that happened was BYU was able to convert third downs, possess the ball, and run the ball against Utah. Those are things we haven't been able to do, really ever, during this streak. I can't remember BYU having a 100+ yard rusher against Utah in ages, and our QB ran for 80 as well.

Utah returned their whole team and I still think Whittingham will have them ready for SDSU.

Something that hasn't been talked about is that I think they might be having some hangover from that poor kid that accidentally shot himself. That kind of stuff can hang over the program, I'd think. 

Allgeier had 102 , Hall had 92, Katoa had 33, and Wake had 7 yards, Utah made sure the yards were hard earned with Hall's 23 yard run the longest (the one that was thought to be a TD, but replay showed he stepped on the sideline).

35 minutes ago, Pelado said:

Yes, the highlights don't show the full picture.  There's a reason why Brewer only passed for 147 yards.  BYU's DB successfully defended several balls downfield.  There were at least a couple of plays in which BYU's coverage wasn't great - one was on Utah's first touchdown.  There was another - Utah's longest pass play (37 yards) - on which the defender slipped, leaving Kincaid wide open.

Where BYU's defense really struggled was against Bernard running the ball.  He had 146 yards on 12 carries - 12.2 yards per carry.  Even if you take out his longest run of 50 yards, he still averaged 8.7 yards on the remaining 11 carries.

A few areas in which BYU fared much better than they have over the last decade:

• Didn't give up any sacks
  • Sacked Utah twice
  • Didn't give up any turnovers
  • Forced two turnovers (though they only scored 3 points total off of the turnovers)
  • Rushed for over 200 yards
  • Controlled the clock

I think I'm seeing a theme...

2 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

Allgeier had 102 , Hall had 92, Katoa had 33, and Wake had 7 yards, Utah made sure the yards were hard earned with Hall's 23 yard run the longest (the one that was thought to be a TD, but replay showed he stepped on the sideline).

Algier had 102, but on 27 attempts, less than 4 ypc. Utah's defense on running backs was fine, the thing that killed them was Hall making all those 3rd and medium to long conversions because he was able to evade the pass rush and either run for it or find someone open. 

I think the QB spot is fine, but the WR's have not been getting a lot of separation, and there have been a lot of drops. BYU was blitzing a lot and it was not getting picked up, either because line or RB's missed an assignment, so there was only so much Brewer could do. I don't think the coaches prepared them for the pressure BYU brought, and they assumed that they would play the same against Utah as they did Arizona, which was not the case. 

I don't know what Utah looks like this week, I could see anything from a loss to them blowing the Aztecs out. I don't think film and practice will be pleasant this year, hoping they respond with a big effort.

I'm a desperate man
Send lawyers, guns, and money
The shit has hit the fan