bornontheblue

Biden to require all employers who have 100+ employees to mandate the vaccine. $14,000 penalty per violation.

6 minutes ago, bornontheblue said:

You think we can come together and be unified ever again. We are headed fir a divorce, hopefully it’s amicable 

Yes. We can. 

First we were never that unified to start. We've always been a pain in the ass.

Second, I don't think we are even as disunited as we were in the 1960s. people saw those riots as the start of a true civil war. 

third, the idea that we are red vs blue states is a fallacy. There are more republicans in California than there are in Texas. There are more Democrats in Texas than there are in New York. It is impossible to have a divorce. we're intertwined.

fourth, no matter how amicable any split would be, it would involve far worse damage to the people living here than we have now. families separated. economic ties severed - probably forever. the rich will get richer and the poorer will start to be pushed to, and off, of the edge. there will be mass population shifts, some forced. the country won't just divorce either, it will shatter. pent up political forces will rear their ugly head. expect a dozen liberal democracies, a handful of true fascist states, semi-theocracies, several failed areas, probably some anarchist autonomous cities. We will no longer have federal funding for wilderness management in the west, so we will have truly apocalyptic fires for the first few years. 

That's...the best option. The worst quickly includes genocide, war, nuclear attacks, state collapse, infrastructure collapse. It has happened in almost every modern partition to date. I am incapable of overstating this. the result will be a disaster. look at your neighbors. one will get dragged off. one will leave to see family. one will lose everything. your kids? drafted or worse.

• Like 7
5 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

We didn't have this problem until the orange clown came along & one political party fell lockstep being him in cult like fashion.............20 years ago after 9/11 the country was pretty united 

We had rumors of blue states threating to secede if Trump won . We were United fir about two weeks after 9/11 abs  then. Went right back to the toxic relationship 

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

Yes. We can. 

First we were never that unified to start. We've always been a pain in the ass.

Second, I don't think we are even as disunited as we were in the 1960s. people saw those riots as the start of a true civil war. 

third, the idea that we are red vs blue states is a fallacy. There are more republicans in California than there are in Texas. There are more Democrats in Texas than there are in New York. It is impossible to have a divorce. we're intertwined.

fourth, no matter how amicable any split would be, it would involve far worse damage to the people living here than we have now. families separated. economic ties severed - probably forever. the rich will get richer and the poorer will start to be pushed to, and off, of the edge. there will be mass population shifts, some forced. the country won't just divorce either, it will shatter. pent up political forces will rear their ugly head. expect a dozen liberal democracies, a handful of true fascist states, semi-theocracies, several failed areas, probably some anarchist autonomous cities. We will no longer have federal funding for wilderness management in the west, so we will have truly apocalyptic fires for the first few years. 

That's...the best option. The worst quickly includes genocide, war, nuclear attacks, state collapse, infrastructure collapse. It has happened in almost every modern partition to date. I am incapable of overstating this. the result will be a disaster. look at your neighbors. one will get dragged off. one will leave to see family. one will lose everything. your kids? drafted or worse.

I agree it would be damaging, but that is still where we are headed. Countries don’t last forever, this has certainly been proven throughout history. The US is. Or immune from this fact 

Just now, bornontheblue said:

I agree it would be damaging, but that is still where we are headed. 

I think it is a distinct possibility, one that I wish to avoid. 

I mean to be flippant, there's a lot of republican policies that only work when we are one huge interconnected country ;)

3 minutes ago, happycamper said:

I think it is a distinct possibility, one that I wish to avoid. 

I mean to be flippant, there's a lot of republican policies that only work when we are one huge interconnected country ;)

yeah like southern republican dominated state ssucking up all the funding - There's states that couldn't survive without federal funding & 9 of 10 of those are mostly republican 

I think mandating the private sector by Executive Order is a serious overreach and an abuse of power, and I agree with @Bobon this. It is a slippery slope. 

• Like 4
  • Cheers 1
5 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I think mandating the private sector by Executive Order is a serious overreach and an abuse of power, and I agree with @Bobon this. It is a slippery slope. 

A slippery slope that stated at Valley Forge in 1777 right up thru 2021 

If Biden announced he was requiring every company with 100+ employees to do weekly testing, I don't think there would be nearly as much pearl clutching (though there'll always be some)

This is effectively just that, except it gives companies the chance to opt out by mandating the shot

4 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Funny enough I don’t.  I have a significant fear of the government already using private employers to force things they can’t/shouldn’t force.  Such an action is as authoritarian as Trump.   

Can we just stop with Fing old men Boomers as President.  

Straddling the fence once again,  i see

Biden failed to mandate it for air travel... clear federal authority and would have made a huge difference to stop the spread.   Even the weak as French and Canadians tougher. 

1 hour ago, sactowndog said:

Anyone else honestly wonder if it’s time to split the Union up?   

Over this particular vaccine as opposed to all the other ones that are required?