Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

UNLV at Arizona State

10 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I wasn't overly impressed by ASU.........most of what they did was due to UNLV not getting a 1st down in the 2nd half..........ASU probably a middling Pac12 team 

But things have been weird so far this season for quite a few teams..........Fresno could have beat Oregon & then Oregon goes into Ohio St wins.

SDSU struggled to get going vs New Mexico St, then blows the doors off Arizona in Tucson 

Yeah basically two years of rust. as much as i complain about performance, 1st week is always wacky. 

Disclaimer (idon'tthinkanyMWteamshouldlosetoan FCS teamever) I had a drug commercial disclaimer in my head

Looks like we'll be seeing Tathan sooner than later.  Even if Brumfield is healthy, he's gonna get knocked out of games.  Gotta give it to the kid he is fearless running the ball.  Needs to take a little heat off his passes, the WR are clearly struggling catching his fastballs.

6 hours ago, mundyc3 said:

Beat the spread, I won money on that. I hope I never see Rodgers take another snap. I've seen skittish dogs with more confidence. 

I had a bad feeling from the moment he committed here.  I knew he couldn’t be any good if he was transferring here.

1 hour ago, 702Canary said:

Looks like we'll be seeing Tathan sooner than later.  Even if Brumfield is healthy, he's gonna get knocked out of games.  Gotta give it to the kid he is fearless running the ball.  Needs to take a little heat off his passes, the WR are clearly struggling catching his fastballs.

Please don’t use that name ever again!

8 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

This UNLV under Arroyo is looking like a rebuild from the ground up - there's just not much impactful talent and too many holes & young guys - Arroyo could possibly be looking at an 0-18 start as UNLV HC :unsure:

Tough to keep fans in the stadium with a win every few seasons.  How long can unlv keep a program like this with the current financial pressures of college sports.  Big sky made sense for Idaho.  When does it make sense for unlv

Just now, slappy said:

Tough to keep fans in the stadium with a win every few seasons.  How long can unlv keep a program like this with the current financial pressures of college sports.  Big sky made sense for Idaho.  When does it make sense for unlv

That will NEVER happen, and rightfully so. That’s a LOSER attitude.

4 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

That will NEVER happen, and rightfully so. That’s a LOSER attitude.

Football is bringing down your basketball.  No reason why unlv can’t be like Gonzaga in hoops.   Not sure why you can not see it.  Cut football put all energy into hoops.  

14 minutes ago, slappy said:

Football is bringing down your basketball.  No reason why unlv can’t be like Gonzaga in hoops.   Not sure why you can not see it.  Cut football put all energy into hoops.  

Las Vegas is a prime location, and if managed properly, UNLV could play their way into a P5 conference.  The recruiting has to pick up because the defense is terrible!

16 minutes ago, slappy said:

Football isn't bringing down BB.  Where do you people come up with this crap?   Oh and there's the other fact that FB provides the funding that keeps BB alive at most major D1 universities.  FFS

5 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

Football isn't bringing down BB.  Where do you people come up with this crap?   Oh and there's the other fact that FB provides the funding that keeps BB alive at most major D1 universities.  FFS

Actually at most non P5 uni's football loses money. Therefore it can not provide funding to keep basketball alive.  UNLV is assuredly a non P5 university therefor it DOES NOT provide the money that keeps basketball alive.

1 minute ago, 1066 said:

Actually at most non P5 uni's football loses money. Therefore it can not provide funding to keep basketball alive.  UNLV is assuredly a non P5 university therefor it DOES NOT provide the money that keeps basketball alive.

Actually that's false.  It's true at UNLV bc we suck and don't bring in the revenue that other programs do.

1 minute ago, 1066 said:

Prove it or be quiet.

+++++ off.  Prove your statement jagofff.  Everyone with a working brain knows FB funds basically THE ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPTs at most D1 schools.  Not just BB.  Everything bro.

Show me your stats showing most P5 schools lose money.  You can't because it's a false statement.  Pulling sh!t out of your ass.

Looking at the history since UNLV went D1, with the exception of John Robinson, no coach has lasted more than 5 seasons.  I think UNLV needs to worry less about football success and settle for coach that will bring a winning season every now and then and keep them around for a while.  
I would like to have seen Bobby Hauck stay longer being he was the last coach to give UNLV a winning season.

Plenty of speculation about what is wrong with UNLV football and the current state of the program. That’s all it is, speculation. 

One thing that we know for sure and it has been proven out on the field these past 2 weeks is: Rogers is not our QB and needs to move to the bottom of the list or retrained to another position. The one absolute mistake made by Arroyo so far is in 2 parts: starting Rogers last week and if there was a reason then leaving him in starting the 2nd half. Rogers as QB is a settled issue….NO!

47 minutes ago, 702Canary said:

+++++ off.  Prove your statement jagofff.  Everyone with a working brain knows FB funds basically THE ENTIRE ATHLETIC DEPTs at most D1 schools.  Not just BB.  Everything bro.

Show me your stats showing most P5 schools lose money.  You can't because it's a false statement.  Pulling sh!t out of your ass.

The majority of universities in the nation’s top athletic conferences lost money through their sports programs to the tune of approximately $16 million each.

It's worse for Division I non-autonomy schools, or those outside the Power Five conferences. All 64 of these institutions lost money in 2019, with a median deficit of $23 million per school.

Also included in the NCAA's Division I classification are Football Championship Subdivision (FCS) schools, the former I-AA programs that compete in a year-end tournament to determine the national champion. The Power Five and other top conferences are classified as Football Bowl Subdivision schools, which compete at the season's end through a series of bowl games culminating in a four-team playoff to determine the champion.

Of the 125 FCS schools, all reported a negative net generated revenue in 2019, with a median loss of $14.3 million per institution.

Finally, Division I includes 97 schools without football programs. All of them had a negative net revenue in 2019, with a median loss of $14.4 million. And not one college in the NCAA's Division II or III saw their revenues exceed expenses that year.

In total, then, only 25 of the approximately 1,100 schools across 102 conferences in the NCAA made money on college sports last year. That's because the cost of running an entire athletics program, which can feature as many as 40 sports, almost always exceeds the revenue generated by the marquee attractions of football and basketball.

The Role of College Basketball in the NCAA

Basketball, particularly the annual March Madness tournament, brings in most of the NCAA's income. Of its roughly $1 billion in annual revenue, about $820 million comes from this Division I men's championship, largely through TV and marketing rights. The organization earns another $129.4 million in March Madness ticket sales.

Basketball brings in most of the NCAA’s income.

But as a nonprofit, the NCAA isn't about making money for shareholders. Instead, it allocates around $842 million annually — nearly 90% of its income — to member institutions for scholarships, travel, academic services, compliance, and drug testing. The remaining funds support the NCAA's operations.

Curiously enough, the NCAA doesn't receive revenue from college football bowl games and the championship playoffs, all of which are independently operated. For example, the Allstate Sugar Bowl — one of the bowls involved in the January 2021 championship semifinals — is run by a nonprofit organization of the same name, which earns money through ticket sales, sponsor payments, and licensing fees.

How the Pandemic Has Impacted College Athlet