Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

It’s Done: Congrats To BYU For Making it Into the Big 12

40 minutes ago, utenation said:

I learned something from reading parts of this thread. xx97 is not dead, and utenation still hates him. But then---- any who remember me probably thought I was dead as well.  Still kickin' and swingin' the big stick, but not hittin' it as far.

On the subject of BYU to the watered down Big 12, at first I was kind of negative about it. I've come around. In the long haul the money should be better which should help make the Cougs more competitive. Hope I'm around for some of the long haul.

14 minutes ago, pacougar said:

I learned something from reading parts of this thread. xx97 is not dead, and utenation still hates him. But then---- any who remember me probably thought I was dead as well.  Still kickin' and swingin' the big stick, but not hittin' it as far.

On the subject of BYU to the watered down Big 12, at first I was kind of negative about it. I've come around. In the long haul the money should be better which should help make the Cougs more competitive. Hope I'm around for some of the long haul.

Good to see you around, @pacougar.  You going to be at the game?  Rise and shout.

8 hours ago, Jared said:

TCU's highest-ever attendance remains the TCU-Utah game in 2009; with ESPN GameDay in attendance and CBSSports also on campus.  Nothing has come close to that level of excitement; even with UT and OU at home every year.  Cincinnati is currently ranked #9 - hosting Top 10 teams usually brings out the fans.  Unlike WAC (and SWC) days, TCU's attendance levels largely depend on TCU fans; not on other teams' fans.  It was TCU's experience in the MWC that changed that (and the Rose Bowl W and the #2 and #3 AP finishes in 2010 and 2014).  TCU's highest TV-rated game was against Ohio State - not OU or UT.  The JerryWorld games against Oregon State, BYU and LSU also drew strong ratings.  But yes, UCF and Cincinnati will bring fewer fans than OU and UT - no doubt.  And the ratings will be lower as well.  But Houston and BYU will be stronger on average in both attendance and local interest than the eastern schools.  Which is why I favor a division of TCU, Baylor, Tech, Houston, Oklahoma State and BYU.  

I’m bummed BSU isn’t getting. I’m happy about the bowl situation and now I can drive to most games. I’d prefer the be in with the Kansas teams. The last TCU game I went to BYU fans outnumbered the TCU fans. That was in the old WAC days. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

11 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

To be fair, I’ve met @utenation…. It’s not totally unwarranted.  He even speaks with a slight whistle.

I like utenations occasionally. I might even send him some money to fix his teeth. 

The Masters 5k road race All American.

28 minutes ago, robe said:

I’m bummed BSU isn’t getting. I’m happy about the bowl situation and now I can drive to most games. I’d prefer the be in with the Kansas teams. The last TCU game I went to BYU fans outnumbered the TCU fans. That was in the old WAC days. 

Well, yeah.  In Provo.

In FW thats complete bullshit.  Only played there once in the WAC.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

22 hours ago, x97 said:

By what metric won't the Big 12 be a power conference?    The 12 schools that will make up the new Big 12 would be the No. 1 basketball conference and No. 3 football conference (ahead of the ACC and P12) by computer rankings over the past 5 years.    Are we going by what you WANT or by actual results on the field/court?

By the only metric that has ever mattered: tv contract money.

22 hours ago, utenation said:

Now that’s funny. You are using “computer rankings” as some type of catch all for 4 teams that are in a different conference or Indy and piling them into some composite B12 future ranking to come up with 1st and 3rd predictions in hoops and football. All this without even playing a game yet in the new B12. 

Then follow that up with suggestions of looking at real results. Irony at its finest.

Feel free to use human rankings if you want.   They say the same thing.    And I never made a "prediction".   I said the new B12 as it will be composed has been a stronger football conference....and LOT stronger basketball conference than the P12.    Head to head results say the same thing.    No guarantees going forward....but it is right now.

If you've got evidence to the contrary please present it.     None of us will hold our breath while you sit and look stupid.

9 minutes ago, Brew_Poke said:

By the only metric that has ever mattered: tv contract money.

So is the P12 a mid-major conference compared to what the SEC and B10 will be doing?    The difference between the Pac and B12's TV revenues are going to be nowhere close to the gap between the SEC and B10.....and then everyone else.

Just now, x97 said:

So is the P12 a mid-major conference compared to what the SEC and B10 will be doing?    The difference between the Pac and B12's TV revenues are going to be nowhere close to the gap between the SEC and B10.....and then everyone else.

Exactly. This is prologue, and the big boys will keep whittling down over time.

1 hour ago, Pelado said:

Good to see you around, @pacougar.  You going to be at the game?  Rise and shout.

Yup, unless some dumb Ute makes me an offer I can't refuse for my tickets.

I'd have gone to Vegas last week but I had a class reunion that I was semi in charge of.

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Well, yeah.  In Provo.

In FW thats complete bullshit.  Only played there once in the WAC.

Exactly.

The 06 game, a week night game, had 32k fans, which was the 2nd best attended game in 06,after the Tech game(45k).  Tech did not outnumber TCU, but it was close, likely 17-20k Tech fans. BYU had about 14-15k fans, but that was as close as it ever was to "even".  It did feel like a BYU home game, especially in the 2nd half, as the TCU crowd started leaving and the BYU fans were very loud. 

For the 08 game, also a Thursday game, there were 36k fans (best attended game in Fort Worth that season), of which 14-15k were BYU fans.

Thursday night games hurt attendance and both games likely would have been over 40k with a Saturday game.   

The Carter will be packed when BYU returns to TCU.

Bye Bye, Best of luck! !! May the MWC survive, and prosper

On 9/5/2021 at 9:24 PM, Nevada Convert said:

No, I’m not being serious. I’m just getting a rise out of you extreme social warrior types and giving you a taste of your own “Nazi” using medicine. Trump is a Nazi, anyone you really don’t like is a Nazi.  

If you’ve been around here for a while, you’d know that I’ve come out against using that, seriously, to label your adversaries. The left uses it regularly, and it makes the real Nazi’s not look so bad, and it cheapens the accounts of horrific brutality the Jews and so many others had to endure at the hands of those devils. 

Then I apologize on 2 accounts:

1. This is a sports conversation.

2. I thought you were a Trumpster, constantly throwing around words you don’t understand:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-refers-nazi-era-brown-shirts-opposing-n1273204

I won’t be posting again, go Pack!

1 hour ago, Pack Fan said:

Then I apologize on 2 accounts:

1. This is a sports conversation.

2. I thought you were a Trumpster, constantly throwing around words you don’t understand:

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/congress/rep-marjorie-taylor-greene-refers-nazi-era-brown-shirts-opposing-n1273204

I won’t be posting again, go Pack!

No need to apologize. Go over to OT for some fun. That crazy Greene bitch needs to go just like her twin in CO. The crazy right wingers use the word too, but the left have been doing it a lot more in recent times. I would describe Greene more as Q-ster more than a Trumpster. Anyone in Congress that believes in Q should be removed. The Dems have some nuts too. 

kat.jpg

6 hours ago, utenation said:

I think there’s a lot we don’t know about the backwoods in Kansas…

F7B48364-1738-4E9D-A2AE-6F4203CB10D7.jpeg

Why do you think I got the fvck out of there. I got recruited to help a company out there for a few years or so with high pay. Not “Contractor in Iraq” circa 2005 high, but pretty high. But in central KS, everyone is so friendly, it starts to drive you crazy.  Then you realize why they’re really so friendly!

OK, I did get into the tornado chasing thing. That was some cool adrenaline rush stuff, but I wasn’t stupid and got right up to the edge of the tornados like some idiots do. The only thing that saves them is that the tornados are usually EF0 to EF2’s. I had an EF0 hit my house while I was watching FB on a Sat afternoon when I used to live by the Arapaho County Fairgrounds in east Denver. Scared the shit out of me when the sirens went off and looked outside and saw it coming right at me. 

In the almost 6 years I lived in Hays, KS, 9 tornados came within 1 to 4 miles from my house. A lot of tornados come down for a short time and are never documented or recorded as happening. Or a satellite tornado forms around the center tornado and it never gets recorded.

The best advice I could ever give a chaser is never get under a wall cloud, especially with strong tornados. You might be a quarter mile from a stove pipe and think you’re safe, and then in just less than a minute the wall cloud drops and you’re in the middle of a one mile diameter wedge tornado. That’s how those weather channel guys nearly got killed with their trucks going air borne. 

That was the El Reno, OK tornado and it suddenly became a 2.5 mile diameter EF5 with winds of nearly 300 mph. The record that’s been recorded was the Moore, OK tornado about 10 years ago IIRC with 320 mph winds. There’s certainly been some rare ones that have happened in history approaching 400 mph, but not proven yet. 

kat.jpg

11 hours ago, utenation said:

Wait.. didn’t you say the P12 hasn’t done anything in this century? If we are using that metric, we will go ahead and count USC’s two national titles.

What a Putz.

2 championships in 21 years and none in over 15 years doesn’t prove your point very well.  Relevancy 10% of the time (skewed to a different era nonetheless) doesn’t successfully argue that the PAC has any benefit over the new big 12.  At this point you’re just making silly arguments for the sake of arguing, I can see why most don’t engage you and your shenanigans.

2 hours ago, Nevada Convert said:

Why do you think I got the fvck out of there. I got recruited to help a company out there for a few years or so with high pay. Not “Contractor in Iraq” circa 2005 high, but pretty high. But in central KS, everyone is so friendly, it starts to drive you crazy.  Then you realize why they’re really so friendly!

OK, I did get into the tornado chasing thing. That was some cool adrenaline rush stuff, but I wasn’t stupid and got right up to the edge of the tornados like some idiots do. The only thing that saves them is that the tornados are usually EF0 to EF2’s. I had an EF0 hit my house while I was watching FB on a Sat afternoon when I used to live by the Arapaho County Fairgrounds in east Denver. Scared the shit out of me when the sirens went off and looked outside and saw it coming right at me. 

In the almost 6 years I lived in Hays, KS, 9 tornados came within 1 to 4 miles from my house. A lot of tornados come down for a short time and are never documented or recorded as happening. Or a satellite tornado forms around the center tornado and it never gets recorded.

The best advice I could ever give a chaser is never get under a wall cloud, especially with strong tornados. You might be a quarter mile from a stove pipe and think you’re safe, and then in just less than a minute the wall cloud drops and you’re in the middle of a one mile diameter wedge tornado. That’s how those weather channel guys nearly got killed with their trucks going air borne. 

That was the El Reno, OK tornado and it suddenly became a 2.5 mile diameter EF5 with winds of nearly 300 mph. The record that’s been recorded was the Moore, OK tornado about 10 years ago IIRC with 320 mph winds. There’s certainly been some rare ones that have happened in history approaching 400 mph, but not proven yet. 

My favorite part of being stationed in KS was the weather.  The tornadoes/storms were scary because they were almost always supercells.  I witnessed an Ef-4 in KC and the scale made everything human made seem so insignificant.  

On 9/4/2021 at 8:59 PM, UNLV2001 said:

MWC comes out unscathed from recent moves - That's a plus for the MWC to remain intact and see the AAC damaged :thumbsup: 

B12 is weaker........MWC remains intact...........AAC is weaker 

I agree however the problem is that any and all of our schools would leave the MWC if we got an offer from the B12 or almost any other major conference.  Perhaps we would not vamoose to the AAC.  I am damn near sure SDSU would go to the B12 as would any other MWC team. 

This invite of BYU and 3 AAC teams proves the MW needs to do a lot of work if we want to step up. It also means the AAC is now much weaker.