Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

crixus

MWC Volleyball 2021

4 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

I was stumbling around the interwebs and saw that Colorado State and UNLV are in post season play with the Womens National Invitational Volleyball Championships.  https://www.womensnivc.com/

Good luck to the Rams and Rebels!

It’s looks like both SJSU and USU passed on invitations to the NIVC. 

End of regular season RPI for MWC Volleyball

UNLV (62)

SJSU (84)

Boise State (90)

CSU (93)

USU (102)

New Mexico (131)

Wyoming (136)

Fresno State (190)

SDSU (219)

Air Force (260)

Nevada (314)

Fight On For Dear Old San Jose State;

Fight On For Victory!

We Are With You In Every Way.

No Matter What The Price May Be!

Onward For Sparta Noble And True,

Fight Hard In Everything You Do!

And So We'll Fight! (Rah!) Win! (Rah!)

March Onward Down the Field

And We Will Win The Day!

S...J...S...U,  S-J-S-U,  San Jose State!

On 11/30/2021 at 12:05 AM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

It’s looks like both SJSU and USU passed on invitations to the NIVC

End of regular season RPI for MWC Volleyball

UNLV (62)

SJSU (84)

Boise State (90)

CSU (93)

USU (102)

New Mexico (131)

Wyoming (136)

Fresno State (190)

SDSU (219)

Air Force (260)

Nevada (314)

That's too bad, I wish they'd continue to play. I don't see it mentioned on the Spartans Volleyball website or on their social media outlets. I'm guessing it was put to a vote and the majority of players said no. Finals are coming up and that probably has something to do with it. Spartan Up! 

On 12/1/2021 at 8:14 PM, crixus said:

That's too bad, I wish they'd continue to play. I don't see it mentioned on the Spartans Volleyball website or on their social media outlets. I'm guessing it was put to a vote and the majority of players said no. Finals are coming up and that probably has something to do with it. Spartan Up! 

You have to pay your own way to play in this tournament. Half the schools asked to play say thanks but no thanks. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

And in other news… yesterday in their first-round NCAA match, UH took down #24 Mississippi State in a five-set upset:

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/12/3/womens-volleyball-battles-back-to-down-no-24-mississippi-state-in-five.aspx

https://www.ncaa.com/video/volleyball-women/2021-12-03/hawaii-vs-mississippi-state-full-5th-set-2021-ncaa-volleyball-tournament

Next up for the Wahine is the 15th seed and host team #23 Washington.

4 hours ago, Old_Sparty1857 said:

You have to pay your own way to play in this tournament. Half the schools asked to play say thanks but no thanks. 

Yup.  UCSB, who finished just inside the RPI top-100, chose to sit out (I assume we were asked?)  Cal State Bakersfield signed up instead.

On 12/4/2021 at 10:09 AM, Old_Sparty1857 said:

It made sense that CSU was invited and they were actually an automatic qualifier because they had won the conference regular season.  UNLV got in because they have a good record, best RPI,  and they went all the way to the final game.  UT State and Sparty took it in the shorts with a one and done in the MWC tourney.  I don't believe they were even invited.

I guess there are programs that can't afford it but why in the world would any school miss out on the opportunity to give their young players some tournament experience.  Doesn't make sense.

Stamp.

Ukrainian postage stamp honoring Snake Island soldiers

8 hours ago, SpaceForced said:

It made sense that CSU was invited and they were actually an automatic qualifier because they had won the conference regular season.  UNLV got in because they have a good record, best RPI,  and they went all the way to the final game.  UT State and Sparty took it in the shorts with a one and done in the MWC tourney.  I don't believe they were even invited.

I guess there are programs that can't afford it but why in the world would any school miss out on the opportunity to give their young players some tournament experience.  Doesn't make sense.

Both SJSU and USU were invited and both turned it down. SJSU had the second best RPI in the MWC and finished tied for second in the league but wasn’t interested. There are teams with an RPI below 160 in this tournament. It’s not very prestigious. Maybe someday it will be. 

Fight On For Victory!

And We Will Win The Day!

On 12/4/2021 at 7:30 AM, HawaiiMongoose said:

And in other news… yesterday in their first-round NCAA match, UH took down #24 Mississippi State in a five-set upset:

https://hawaiiathletics.com/news/2021/12/3/womens-volleyball-battles-back-to-down-no-24-mississippi-state-in-five.aspx

https://www.ncaa.com/video/volleyball-women/2021-12-03/hawaii-vs-mississippi-state-full-5th-set-2021-ncaa-volleyball-tournament

Next up for the Wahine is the 15th seed and host team #23 Washington.

Just to finish the story, UW walloped the Wahine in their second round matchup.  Still it was a good season for a young team.  With hard work they’ll be back and do better.

7 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Just to finish the story, UW walloped the Wahine in their second round matchup.  Still it was a good season for a young team.  With hard work they’ll be back and do better.

Sitting out the 2020 season cost the Big West an at-large bid.  

16 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

Agreed.  UCSB should have been in the tournament with UH.  They definitely belonged.

No. Our schedule was strong enough for an-large bid. But a 4-8 nonconference record (0-5 vs Tourney teams) and an RPI in the 90s overshadows the sweep of Hawaii.  UCSB didn't belong this year.  

On 12/4/2021 at 12:06 AM, SpaceForced said:

Boise State was swept by BYu and the CSU Rams lost to UTEP.  Rebs moving to round two tomorrow vs Arizona.  Good luck Rebs.

And BYU makes their 9th Sweet 16 in the past 10 years after beating Utah the next day. 

16 hours ago, jdgaucho said:

No. Our schedule was strong enough for an-large bid. But a 4-8 nonconference record (0-5 vs Tourney teams) and an RPI in the 90s overshadows the sweep of Hawaii.  UCSB didn't belong this year.  

I should have been clearer.  What I meant was, if the Big West had played women’s volleyball in the spring like every other conferences except the Ivy League, its teams would have performed much better in early season non-conference competition and UCSB in particular would have had a much better RPI and probably earned their way into the tournament.  I think the quality of UCSB’s late season play showed they finished the campaign as a tournament-caliber team, even if their slow start denied them consideration for an at-large bid.

4 hours ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

I should have been clearer.  What I meant was, if the Big West had played women’s volleyball in the spring like every other conferences except the Ivy League, its teams would have performed much better in early season non-conference competition and UCSB in particular would have had a much better RPI and probably earned their way into the tournament.  I think the quality of UCSB’s late season play showed they finished the campaign as a tournament-caliber team, even if their slow start denied them consideration for an at-large bid.

Maybe.  It would have been close in that scenario.  Like baseball, Last 4 In / First 4 Out.