Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

Should the MWC try to pick up the best of the AAC leftovers?

AAC  

97 members have voted

1. 1. Should the MWC poach the best of the AAC leftovers?

2. 2. If you voted yes who should we poach?

Lefties, Lei’s & Legumes - SDSU, Fresno, SJSU, Hawaii/Gonzaga

Mormons & Hookers - Nevada, UNLV, BSU, USU

Joe & The Zoo - Wyoming, CSU, AFA, UNM

P62Hair’s B’s - Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa

There’s an article about how the B12 should take a chance and go to 16 with 4 pods.  Maybe it’s time for the MWC to think big?

Memphis is the prize, SMU is the best way to get into Texas, Tulane is a destination, Tulsa…..well, it’s a fourth school from the AAC and that would absolutely drive a wooden stake thru Aresco’s barely beating heart…and that would be a sight to see.

West Pod:

Fresno St

Hawaii (FB only)

San Diego St

San Jose St

Mountain Pod:

Boise St

Nevada

Nevada-Las Vegas

Utah St

Front Range Pod:

Air Force

Colorado St

New Mexico

Wyoming

Southwest Pod:

Memphis

Rice

Southern Methodist

Tulsa

Olympic only to round out Hawaii.  1st choice Gonzaga.  2nd choice Wichita St.

image.gif

Why the hell should we?

We don't need those schools and I think they're gonna be fine even if Cincy, UCF, and/or Houston leave the AAC.

If I were Aresco, I'd rather go after the C-USA, Sun Belt, or MAC schools since they could potentially bring just as much value to the point where they wouldn't want to poach MWC schools anyways.

23 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

And yes, we should finish off the AAC. Or they will finish us.

Not quite.  Your old homes still have room for a former member or two :ph34r:

One possible way for pods -

Each team plays everyone in their pod every year - 3 games

Plays another pod on a rotating basis - 4 games

Game eight matches 1 vs 2 and 3 vs 4 from next year’s rotating pod - a preview and a chance for the top team in each pod to get another good win.

The next week matches the 4 pod champions: 1 vs 4; 2 vs 3 (using some ranking metric). This should be another good win for the top 2 teams.

The final week is the MWCCG with (hopefully) two top 25 teams.

Going to 16 destroys the AAC.  Gives the MWC product in 3 time zones.  Adds Memphis, the best remaining G5 school.  Adds SMU, the only quality option to get back into Texas.  Tulane is the UNLV of the south - tons of potential, great place to host championship game, tourney, bowl game.  Tulsa, athletically, is a middle of the road G5 that occasionally has a very good team, but who’s better in our footprint?

Then add Gonzaga to fill in for Hawaii’s Oly’s and we have one helluva G5 conference.

5 hours ago, EvilPoke said:

YES, THEY ALL FLOAT: Hawaii, San Diego State, Fresno, San Jose State

SIERRA (or whatever the hell you want to call it): UNLV, Nevada, Utah State, Boise State

I-25: Wyoming, CSU, AFA, UNM

AAC DEATH: Memphis, SMU, Tulane and two other schools to just even it out. 

Two schools? 

SMU is at least in the middle of Texas, being a great recruiting ground. Tulsa is generally a decent team, and close to Texas, but it plays a very far back 3rd fiddle in its own state, let alone in neighboring ones. Aside from that, Memphis is too far East and nothing else makes sense in anyway.

I think standing completely pat would be a big mistake. I want us to supplant the AAC as the #6 football conference and/or the #7 basketball conference; neither will happen if we do nothing. In thinking about it, I think the first order of business should be reaching out to Gonzaga; no other school would provide the bang for your buck that they would. They have the easiest situation with exit fees, and adding them doesn’t really affect much else when it comes to expansion because it just gets us to 12/12. They may have big timed us before, but with the WCC taking a huge hit with the loss of BYU they have much less leverage now.

7 hours ago, GoCoAztec said:

Lefties, Lei’s & Legumes - SDSU, Fresno, SJSU, Hawaii/Gonzaga

Mormons & Hookers - Nevada, UNLV, BSU, USU

Joe & The Zoo - Wyoming, CSU, AFA, UNM

P62Hair’s B’s - Memphis, SMU, Tulane, Tulsa

There’s an article about how the B12 should take a chance and go to 16 with 4 pods.  Maybe it’s time for the MWC to think big?

Memphis is the prize, SMU is the best way to get into Texas, Tulane is a destination, Tulsa…..well, it’s a fourth school from the AAC and that would absolutely drive a wooden stake thru Aresco’s barely beating heart…and that would be a sight to see.

Hair would have to play this very smart to pull-off. If we could land Those 4 teams and draw Wichita St in for BB only, we would have a very solid BB conference that could be used to bring in Gonzaga after they start feeling the departure of BYU. The MWC would be amazingly fun in football as well as basketball and not to mention the bump in tourney credits. We would have 3 National Champion caliber teams ( Gonzaga, Memphis and Wichita St ) and 5 to 7 ( San Diego St, Nevada, Utah St, Boise St, SMU, UNLV, New Mexico, Wyoming ) that at least 1 could potentially make a sweet-16 run most years. GET THIS DONE HAIR!!! and all your blunders of the past are forgiven and you will have earned your pay. All boats get lifted and we would become a formidable BB conference.

13 hours ago, EvilPoke said:

I don't mind playing Pacific teams - but the only one I kind of get excited about is San Diego State, and that's just because the two seen to always play great games. 

True.

Unfortunately we have to wait two more seasons.

Excited Jimmy Fallon GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

Please don't invite Tulsa. They're the New Mexico State of the AAC.

We should invite Memphis, SMU, Gonzaga, and Wichita State, for now. Then later we can determine who the other 2 teams are whom we want to invite to get to 16 football schools. 

What's with the love for SMU ?

Besides the DFW tv market. Newsflash, they are probably #20 in that market.

My perception is they a nobody in a huuuge market. Prove me wrong.

The ultimate truth is, money is driving expansion and realignment. Why does the mountain West want to merge with AAC leftovers? What's the point?

For the top dogs in the G5 to survive they will need to form their own power league.  I'm talking schools with good revenue streams, (local radio and tv, gameday revenue, big donors, etc)

Im sorry, biut schools in remote outposts need to quit travelling two time zones to play a conference game they are going to get whipped in. By the same token, the remaining haves need to stop having their media money and game times go to shit because they have to play the Sisters of the Poor.

The haves need to have an airport meeting. The have nots need to form bus leagues for their financial survival.

I'm not saying this to put down the obvious have nots. It's not an embarassment to step down to FCs, (Hell, at least they have an equitable playoff system) and there is still alot of good football being played.  And there is nothing wrong with forming the WAC 3.0.  

The real issue is egos. School alumni and old fanbases longing for the good ole days that aren't coming back. Schools taking on hue-mungous debt to finance stadiums they will never fill. Schools believing they can rise from JC level and become P5 in a decade has all proven to be folly for 98% of the wannabes.

The new G5 needs an elite conference of the remaining haves. We and they know who they are. Football accounts for 75% of the admission criteria and 25% B-ball. There should be B-ball only schools (Gonzaga/Wichita are two examples)  and FB only schools, like the Service Acadamies.

That is how you build the new P6 Conference.

(Steps down from soapbox)

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor