Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Cowboy

It is very likely 8 MWC teams will get invites to the AAC 8.

The most sense for AAC is to look at C-USA or Sun Belt for their expansion especially how economics have changed for the mid-major conferences. Now if AAC could get Army to join that could lead to Air Force joining but I don't see either happening. If NMSU football team was better, I could see MWC being interested in them for their baseball and basketball programs. 

If the MWC was going to expand they want to expand into Texas to get a foothold down, so I am thinking someone like North Texas or UTSA. I also wouldn't be surprised if one or two of the teams invited to the Big 12 don't end up there when the time comes.

2 hours ago, sean327 said:

Not just no, but phuck no! 

UNM, AFA, Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Navy, Temple, USF, ECU

I wouldn't want that lineup either if I was New Mexico - there's nothing in common historically to 8 of those schools :blink:

1 hour ago, VandalPride97 said:

Yes, and the vandals threw beer on your grandma, frat boys threw up on your wife and our coach gave Pokey cancer.  Then you had to boycott Reno, NV - thereby crushing their local economy - because their fans were so horrid.  Don't forget all those terrible Oregon fans either, so disrespectful.  Screw drivers and piss bombs from Fresno - check.  Then Hawaii assaulted you with sunshine and light winds.  You BSU fans have always been drama queens.

^^^^Truth...

2 hours ago, UNLV2001 said:

UNM, AFA, Memphis, Tulsa, SMU, Tulane, Navy, Temple, USF, ECU

I wouldn't want that lineup either if I was New Mexico - there's nothing in common historically to 8 of those schools :blink:

There are some really stupid ideas floating around here. The AAC leftovers aren’t worth merging with, which makes this idea easily the dumbest ever put forth since the Texas/Oklahoma announcement.

USF is too far away. Navy too far away

I’d take Memphis as a full member (and maybe SMU) with Wichita BB. With Wichita and Memphis BB added, Gonzaga would have to go for it. See if Creighton wants to join the BB party after that. 

Basketball would be amazing:

Gonzaga
Nevada
SDSU
Wichita St.
Creighton
Utah St.
Colorado St.
Boise St.
New Mexico

UNLV and the rest can pick a school to support as a practice squad. 

kat.jpg

4 hours ago, ToTheMountains said:

I’d be down for this 100%.

I could easily deal with Montana.  Adding those other Dakota and Montana State, i would start having a big issue.  A founding member of this conference shouldn't be forced to travel from San Diego to essentially Minnesota.  Especially if it were all sports.  For the first time ever, i would want to bounce to another G5 like the AAC if that happened.

5 hours ago, Billings said:

why does everyone break AIR Force out of the front range group.  Simply not workable.  2 - 4 hour drives are wiped out for plane rides? 

Only reason I mentioned it is if I remember correctly their budget is paid by the government directly so they have more money to spend and could travel easier then other teams. It's also not a hundred percent an idea, could easily replace Utah State and Air Force in the idea I proposed or even Boise if they'd prefer California exposure.

23 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I could easily deal with Montana.  Adding those other Dakota and Montana State, i would start having a big issue.  A founding member of this conference shouldn't be forced to travel from San Diego to essentially Minnesota.  Especially if it were all sports.  For the first time ever, i would want to bounce to another G5 like the AAC if that happened.

Which in the scenario I provided they would be in opposite divisions so they wouldn't have to travel to Fargo every year for football, in fact with that lineup they would have to play the bison or the jackrabbits once every four years. Montana state is there because Montana would not leave without Montana State or vice versa and credit to the Bobcats they've had our number for the last several years and have become a pretty solid FCS program.

4 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Which in the scenario I provided they would be in opposite divisions so they wouldn't have to travel to Fargo every year for football, in fact with that lineup they would have to play the bison or the jackrabbits once every four years. Montana state is there because Montana would not leave without Montana State or vice versa and credit to the Bobcats they've had our number for the last several years and have become a pretty solid FCS program.

Nevada struggles with its budget in an area of 6-700,000k people. I really like Montana but things change when you go from the big fish to basically the smallest. 

26 minutes ago, utgrizfan said:

Only reason I mentioned it is if I remember correctly their budget is paid by the government directly so they have more money to spend and could travel easier then other teams. It's also not a hundred percent an idea, could easily replace Utah State and Air Force in the idea I proposed or even Boise if they'd prefer California exposure.

I do not think they use taxpayer funds to pay for athletics.  Everyone in the conference wants cali exposure

17 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Nevada struggles with its budget in an area of 6-700,000k people. I really like Montana but things change when you go from the big fish to basically the smallest. 

UM is losing students with enrollment down over 20% and making a lot of cuts.   No way they can afford FBS.

10 minutes ago, Billings said:

I do not think they use taxpayer funds to pay for athletics.  Everyone in the conference wants cali exposure

They don't.  Athletic funding is primarily through alumni donations.

1 hour ago, Red Ted Redemption said:

Dude... It's the Air Force. Literally the last team in all of football that would complain about flying.

also probably the one school in the conference who could survive as an independent.    Do this and they leave just so we can add the Dakotas and a total of 4 fcs schools in states we don't recruit?   uhhhh no

8 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

or even Boise if they'd prefer California exposure.

Geography much ?

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

11 hours ago, utgrizfan said:

Again, all sports is a big issue.  I would request my university president to deny all four, and I would probably say no to Montana if Montana State has to come with.  SDSU's geography is why, so I am sure the Boise's, Wyoming's and Colorado schools will have much less of an issue on that.  Also, MWC is of no threat of disbanding, so a precedent of four FCS schools joining is looked at as a negative superficially.  Even if I believe those schools may be competitive very quickly.

Yes Football success and markets are important but you have to approach it with the lens of a university president. If the MW expands theses will be the only scenarios that the presidents will unanimously approve:

1. SMU/Rice

2.SMU/Memphis

3.SMU/Rice/Memphis/Tulane

All four have strong recruiting areas, large metro areas and 2 AAU schools

"Everyone wants a hero...And Derek Carr, he's going to be a hero at times."

- Pat Hill