Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

What next for the AAC remnants ?

2 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

We have an odd number of schools right now and aren’t playing a full round robin,  why would it be any more difficult with 13 schools instead of 11? If it’s that big of a deal we could always add Hawaii for all other sports and go to divisions for basketball, Gonzaga goes in the West, Wichita in the Mountain. 

Because your only option is a playin for the last place team which might be fine but seems pretty ugly 

48 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

Do you think Witchita moves the needle enough to be worthwhile?

That's a lot of travel for sports like tennis & cross country. They'd have to add a lot of value just to cover the travel expenses.

Wichita is very good in a number of sports but it’s another reason to go to 16 and add divisions.  You significantly reduce travel.  

50 minutes ago, e-zone99 said:

Honestly, why would Gonzaga leave all of their NCAA credits, higher split of said credits, 16 game conference schedule (that the used the MWC to get), and their ESPN media rights deal to join a bloated MWC?  They really like their OOC scheduling freedom (they can get games with anyone) and a 20 game MWC schedule would be a non starter for them.  Plus they are currently in a league they culturally fit and have been a member of forever.

Well Wichita, Memphis and SMU are three of the better basketball schools in the AAC.   It would guarantee a more steady long term stream of basketball related income.   

2 hours ago, e-zone99 said:

Honestly, why would Gonzaga leave all of their NCAA credits, higher split of said credits, 16 game conference schedule (that the used the MWC to get), and their ESPN media rights deal to join a bloated MWC?  They really like their OOC scheduling freedom (they can get games with anyone) and a 20 game MWC schedule would be a non starter for them.  Plus they are currently in a league they culturally fit and have been a member of forever.

They do not care about cultural fit and that they have been in that league forever. If they cared about those things they wouldn’t have strong armed the league into a new deal by threatening to leave. So i just flat out disagree that “cultural fit” is a factor for any decision makers at the school.

I am not pretending to know their motivations, I just know they they threatened to leave once before while BYU was in the league. So do I think they would listen again when BYU leaves if the MWC wanted to add them ALONG WITH other school(s) with strong basketball programs? Uh, yea, I do think they would at least be open to hearing the sales pitch and would at least entertain the possibility of jumping ship. If you disagree, great. 

there is some benefit to being the 'big fish in a small pond' when it comes to basketball (see Gonzaga in the WCC, Memphis in CUSA, and WSU in the MVC) it's football that worries me in the long run. Memphis has proven we can compete for Cotton and Liberty Bowls but I doubt that'll be true in this AAC 2.0. The flip side is we don't control realignment so all we can do is keep winning, keep bettering our academics, and keep upgrading our facilities.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

14 minutes ago, UofMTigers said:

there is some benefit to being the 'big fish in a small pond' when it comes to basketball (see Gonzaga in the WCC, Memphis in CUSA, and WSU in the MVC) it's football that worries me in the long run. Memphis has proven we can compete for Cotton and Liberty Bowls but I doubt that'll be true in this AAC 2.0. The flip side is we don't control realignment so all we can do is keep winning, keep bettering our academics, and keep upgrading our facilities.

Bettering your academics shouldn’t be too difficult.  

v0icAvfW.jpg

14 minutes ago, NorCalCoug said:

Bettering your academics shouldn’t be too difficult.  

true, and we have BUT it doesn't happen overnight. Last time around we were told to focus on endowment, grad rate, and research numbers.

Memphis has increased our endowment from 190 million then to 223.4 in 2019...Memphis went from being ranked ~280 by US News to 258 in 2019...Memphis graduation rate went from 21% then to 28% in 2019.

The University of Memphis ranks No. 147 in the 2022 Times Higher Education World University Rankings, nine spots better than last year.

This is the third time in a year the U of M has received a world ranking.

The University of Memphis, Vanderbilt University and the University of Tennessee are the only Tennessee universities ranked among the U.S. institutions ranked globally.

“What makes the University of Memphis’ inclusion in the Times Higher Education World University Rankings more impressive is the fact that the world ranking and the U.S. ranking had more institutions competing in the rankings this year,” said Dr. Colton Cockrum, assistant vice provost, Institutional Effectiveness, Accreditation & Academic Assessment.

that's the best we could do with a short time-table.

mem skyline sig.jpeg

Gonzaga has outgrown the WCC.  And with BYU leaving there is really nothing left for Gonzaga worth staying.  They would also realize that Gonzaga to the MWC would lift the entire conference.  Plus, I'm sure they can make a Boise State like sweetheart deal with the MWC for more ownership of future TV and basketball credits. 

13 hours ago, sactowndog said:

Wichita is very good in a number of sports but it’s another reason to go to 16 and add divisions.  You significantly reduce travel.  

Where is the added value in going to 16?

I'm not seeing any program that moves the needle.

We don't need programs in another time zone.

Just stay at 12. We aren't losing any programs.

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

On 9/3/2021 at 12:36 PM, Cowboy said:

There will probably be 8 AAC life vests.

Consolidation is inevitable with SCHEDULING becoming a backbreaker.

Hair's 20-game MWC scheduling philosophy is killing the league. Meanwhile, Penny Hardaway just had the #1 hoops class. The AAC8/MWC8 is a damn good hoops league that doesn't have to worry about scheduling.

Also, ESPN>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>.Fox/CBS

With the AAC now in Dallas, it's finally the time to consolidate.

A 16-team league will allow the best of all worlds to ease travel while playing predominantly within divisions.

ESPN is dog shit that does not pay.

MWC Fox/CBS deal was >>> AAC streaming app deal BEFORE their top 3 teams left.

9 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

They do not care about cultural fit and that they have been in that league forever. If they cared about those things they wouldn’t have strong armed the league into a new deal by threatening to leave. So i just flat out disagree that “cultural fit” is a factor for any decision makers at the school.

I am not pretending to know their motivations, I just know they they threatened to leave once before while BYU was in the league. So do I think they would listen again when BYU leaves if the MWC wanted to add them ALONG WITH other school(s) with strong basketball programs? Uh, yea, I do think they would at least be open to hearing the sales pitch and would at least entertain the possibility of jumping ship. If you disagree, great. 

They did strong arm the league, but it was for the betterment of the league (except for the payout).  What did Gonzaga want:

1) 16 game conference schedule, thus the top teams only ha to play the weaker/bottom half (2 teams) 1 time instead of 2 times.  It also frees up 2 more OOC spots, so you could actually replace 2 conference Q4 games with 2 OOC Q1/Q2 games.

2) The top 2 teams get byes to the Semi-finals, so you are not playing SOS killers (the bottom 2 teams in the conference) and makes where you finish the regulars season even count more (top 4 teams get at least 1 bye).  This also increase the odds of a at large bid a little (not having Q3 or Q4 games in the tournament).

3) A larger share for the teams earning the NCAA credits, Gonzaga has earned the majority of NCAA credits for the WCC, so why shouldn't they get a larger share than the schools that never make it to the NCAA's....

18 hours ago, Billings said:

ahh I thought the scheduling problem was for football.  I agree BB can be worked out

I know it will probably never happen but oh, what I would give to have UH back in the MWC for all sports in conjunction with the conference adding Gonzaga and Wichita.  I love hoops and would never miss a conference basketball game.

The AAC won’t exist in five years.

The most logical conclusion is that the MW adds Memphis and SMU. The Sun Belt takes ECU and Tulane, as they are ideal geographical fits. Navy goes back to Independent status. Then Tulsa, USF, and Temple fight to be the last two teams in CUSA.

16 hours ago, SalinasSpartan said:

What "sales pitch" do we have?

More money? Nope.

Better exposure? Nope

What do they gain by moving to the MW?

"Don't underestimate Joe Biden's ability to F@*k things up."

Barack Obama

14 minutes ago, Aslowhiteguy said:

What "sales pitch" do we have?

More money? Nope.

Better exposure? Nope

What do they gain by moving to the MW?

How about not playing 16 games against boring teams and in high school gyms?

6 minutes ago, Ibanez said:

We should wait to see if Tim can turn SJSU around.

Miles will be there three years. In the third year he will pull off a miracle by finishing .500 and, even more impressive, convincing his bosses to erase the turd paintings on the court of that so-called arena.

Then he'll live for wherever the hell Wazzu is located.