Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Spaztecs

What next for the AAC remnants ?

If the roomers are true, they're down to eight.

Temple

Navy

ECU

USF

Tulane

Memphis

SMU

Tulsa

Outside of Memphis, there are no schools with an IT factor.

Who do you add ?

Or does the AAC get raided again ?

I can see a scenario where MW goes after Memphis for all sports. Only 1,094 miles to Denver. 1,009 to ABQ. That's two Divisional roadies in an 8 or 9 game season. The Oly side can make a schedule where they road trip to Denver once per season to play Wyoming and CSU. Plus, an AFA/UNM combo

Tulsa all sports.

Wichita State and Gonzaga in B-ball.

I just don't see a fit for SMU.

MW East:.                      MW West

Memphis.                    Boise

Tulsa.                           Nevada

Lobos.                         UNLV

AFA.                             Sparty

CSU.                            Fresno

Wyoming.                  SUDS

UTags.                       Hawaii

Wichita (Olys).         Gonzaga (Olys)

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

I certainly dont see Navy sticking around a vrosslyt depleted AAC.

Are the AAC leftovers viable enough for these schools to jump Conference's ? 

CCU 

App State 

Liberty 

La Tech 

UAB

Marshall

Outside of UAB i dont see any teams in big Markets or with a decent following.

I wouldn't put it past Aresco to reach out to the Front Range Schools and/or a Boise/SUDS redux. But,  I doubt they go.

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

16 minutes ago, Spaztecs said:

Temple

Navy

ECU

USF

Tulane

Memphis

SMU

Tulsa

Who do you add ?

I can see a scenario where MW goes after Memphis for all sports. Only 1,094 miles to Denver. 1,009 to ABQ. That's two Divisional roadies in an 8 or 9 game season. The Oly side can make a schedule where they road trip to Denver once per season to play Wyoming and CSU. Plus, an AFA/UNM combo

Tulsa all sports.

NO!  Please stop!

?                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                       

30 minutes ago, wolf from 73 said:

West                                                         East                                                                    

Boise St                                            Memphis                                                                                                                                                                                                               Nevada                                            Tulsa                                                                                                                                                                                                                       San Diego St                                    SMU                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Fresno St                                         Tulane                                                                                                                                                                                                                   San Jose St                                       Wyoming                                                                                                                                                                                                            UNLV                                                 Colorado St                                                                                                                                                                                                             Utah St                                              AFA                                                                                                                                                                                                                          Hawaii                                            New Mexico

Confused Always Sunny GIF by It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia

4 hours ago, Spaztecs said:

Temple

Navy

ECU

USF

Tulane

Memphis

SMU

Tulsa

Who do you add ?

Tulsa all sports.

With BYU leaving I think Gonzaga would probably come over to the MWC. They almost did last time. This would be a really good conference.

The Masters 5k road race All American.

From the MW perspective I would like to do the following

-add SMU (full member)

-add Memphis (full member)

-add Wichita State (oly sports)

That gives us 14 football schools and 14 oly sports. 

However it is VERY clear SMU wants to stay east so not really sure they would make the jump even if offered. 

4 minutes ago, HawaiiMongoose said:

If the opportunity arises then SMU yes.  Tulsa isn't appealing.  Memphis and Tulane are too far away.

The MWC should stay in Texas for #14.  Rice, UTSA or UTEP.  And either Gonzaga or Wichita State for hoops.

lol with Rice and UTEP that makes ZERO sense for the MW. If you wanna stay in Texas UTSA or even Texas State would be in before Rice/UTEP. Also Gonzaga would say no. Might be able to take Wichita State though especially since the in this hypothetical the AAC loses Houston/Cincy and already lost UCONN.

I would still go the SMU/Memphis route over two Texas schools. Memphis would be a nice little increase on the basketball side, there football is decent, and they have a mega donor. 

7 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

I wonder if they would take UCONN back as football only member lol. I mean especially if Navy decides to go back to indy. Granted if Navy does go back to indy I am guessing they will give several years notice to avoid paying a huge buyout. 

The exit fee for the AAC is 27 months + 10 million.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

No, a trade downward, we have already been in the WAC.

Big 12 not overly impressed with FB now Basketball-that would be a great conference!

4 minutes ago, robe said:

With BYU leaving I think Gonzaga would probably come over to the MWC. They almost did last time. This would be a really good conference.

Oh crap forgot about that. Yes if BYU gets a full Big-12 invite (will they or will it just be football only?) they maybe the MW has a chance to get Gonzaga from the WCC. Still might have to do a "special" deal with them (say they maintain the tv rights for their home basketball games) like we did for Boise football. But if they do get a special deal there darn well better be standards that must be met (say make a sweet 16 at least every 3 years) not just a forever deal. The say the BSU football deal is written there are no standards that need to be meet so now that BSU when from a 11-12 win type team to 9-10 win type team there is no recourse. If they slip further there is still no recourse unless BSU agrees to it. 

Just now, RSF said:

The exit fee for the AAC is 27 months + 10 million.

So if that is actually enforced we aren't getting any AAC schools. Also I don't see Navy paying that much to go indy.

However couldn't they just vote to reduce the fee? UCF/Houston/Cincy to Big-12, Navy-indy, SMU/Memphis/Wichita State to MW. That would be 7 out of 12 members and 6 out of 11 full members. That is the majority so couldn't they just change the bylaws? 

11 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

lol with Rice and UTEP that makes ZERO sense for the MW. If you wanna stay in Texas UTSA or even Texas State would be in before Rice/UTEP. Also Gonzaga would say no. Might be able to take Wichita State though especially since the in this hypothetical the AAC loses Houston/Cincy and already lost UCONN.

I would still go the SMU/Memphis route over two Texas schools. Memphis would be a nice little increase on the basketball side, there football is decent, and they have a mega donor. 

Remember who votes.  Regardless of what all of us may think, university presidents love Rice.

Having said that, I like UTSA too.  Their football is on the upswing.  Also San Antonio is a good market and good road trip destination.

A few years ago UTEP would have been the logical choice but they've fallen so far.  In retrospect joining CUSA was a big mistake for them.

2 minutes ago, thedude15 said:

So if that is actually enforced we aren't getting any AAC schools. Also I don't see Navy paying that much to go indy.

However couldn't they just vote to reduce the fee? UCF/Houston/Cincy to Big-12, Navy-indy, SMU/Memphis/Wichita State to MW. That would be 7 out of 12 members and 6 out of 11 full members. That is the majority so couldn't they just change the bylaws? 

They could...why would they?  No real reason for any of them to move to the MWC.  

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Taking SMU/Memphis as full members and Wichita State as olympics only would be a big boost to the basketball side and may be appealing to Gonzaga (especially with BYU leaving). This move isn’t going to be ground breaking from a football perspective (the primary benefit would be further diminishing the AAC and clearly establishing the MW as the top G5), but it’s about the only move the MW can make that is slightly proactive and would add value to the conference as a whole.  Houston to the B12 isn’t a given, so they may come into play as well (it’s either going to be them or Memphis as the 4th team to the B12, IMO).