Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

TheSanDiegan

Fat Mannequins?

Okay. Came across this photo of fat mannequins posted by @son of a gun in the humor thread and thought, "is this really a thing?"

Yep. :facepalm:

From Nike's London store:

Screen-Shot-2021-08-30-at-9-44-22-AM.png

They're more common over here (turns out the average American woman is 5'3 and over 170 lbs.):

xtqrp9oa2m611.jpg

okupxwwn5sn11.jpg

And here white nationalist nuthuggers decry immigration as an antecedent to the fall of Western civilization. Maybe we can use some more Starvin Marvin Ethernopians ffs. 

I know some of you have dealt with weight issues. And I don't mean to sound insensitive, but whyTF do we glorify obesity when our poor nutritional habits are the root cause of so many of our health issues? 

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

16 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

Don't diss the dad bod!

k3ruwrujnxs21.png

5'8",  355, 75% body fat.

Ding !

bell ringing GIF by Brenfi

"We don't have evidence but, we have lot's of theories."

Americans Mayor

1 hour ago, AZdogFan said:

This isn't "glorifying obesity". It's recognizing that people have different body types, need clothing, so it's giving them an opportunity to see how clothing might look on them.

40 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I don't see the issue here.  Most of America looks like that, and that is a better representation for those who want to see how a shirt or dress falls on them.  It seems neutral, neither shaming nor promoting body positivity.

I can appreciate this angle. And count me among those who think the image the fashion industry sold to young girls for the longest time was inherently unhealthy.

Yet therein lies the rub, as this appears, to me, to be a simple issue of the compensatory pendulum swinging the other way. This not only validates the "my 400 ass is BEAUTIFUL, b!tches!" mentality that glorifies obesity but serves to further glorify the singular largest root cause to our health issues every bit as much as selling unhealthy modelesque images encouraged anorexia and bulimia for decades.

Furthermore, the beautification of obesity - again, IMHO - seems to further the subjective truth narrative that is societally corrosive.

Don't get me wrong - people have every right to blow the F up into whatever fractal Macy's Thanksgiving Day parade balloon they choose. But I don't think we should be "reflecting" this in our efforts to cultivate the very consumerism that keeps our economy afloat. :shrug: There's got to be a better way.

1 hour ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

Sell to who buys the clothes.

Idk about your neck of the woods, but where I live healthy people wear clothes too, or at least they don't usually go around all buck naked - HR tends to frown on it and it's already had its run on Zoom.

I carried thirty more lbs when I got married and throughout my time in motor sports. It's amazing the lengths I went to to shave a couple elbows of unsprung weight when all I had to do was eat better food. :facepalm:

And the close friend who until early August had been a vaccine holdout has dropped about 50 lbs over the last 2-3 months just by exercising a little more and eating better. No one shamed him into it; he simply realized he would benefit both physiologically and mentally from doing so. 

IMO fewer people will be so inclined to organically arrive at such an epiphany if the fashion industry keeps collectively acting like Creosole's waiter:

giphy.gif

13 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Idk about your neck of the woods, but where I live healthy people wear clothes too, or at least they don't usually go around all buck naked - HR tends to frown on it and it's already had its run on Zoom.

There has never been a shortage of extremely fit mannequins. They have not disappeared. 

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

3 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

There has never been a shortage of extremely fit mannequins. They have not disappeared. 

IMHO the answer is to either make them look healthy but not unrealistically so (e.g., give the dudes a 40 instead of a six-pack), or to make them look so stylized they look more abstract (and less anthropomorphic) in form. But ffs, anything but this, please.

19 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

This not only validates the "my 400 ass is BEAUTIFUL, b!tches!" mentality that glorifies obesity but serves to further glorify the singular largest root cause to our health issues every bit as much as selling unhealthy modelesque images encouraged anorexia and bulimia for decades.

I still don't follow the logic on how a mannequin in a department store glorifies obesity. It promotes people purchasing clothing that fits their body type.

Celebrating body positivity isn't a bad thing. Having a poor body image feeds into other mental health issues and creates a vicious cycle because of how people choose to deal with those issues. However, most sane, rational people aren't looking at a person weighing in at 400lbs and saying "This is a healthy body." You'll find people on the internet who may say they believe that, but you'll also find people taking horse medication for Covid or who think the moon landing was faked. There's a distinct line between "I'm a happy person" and "I'm a healthy person".

It's possible for people to be attractive, wear appealing clothing, and be happy in their lives at what are considered unhealthy weights. Those body types may not be for you personally and you're entitled to your personal opinion on who you take to bed. They're not asking you to get fat too, and they're not expecting to be cast as the next Captain America. They just want to live their lives, and if having a "dad-bod" mannequin makes that easier, why is that a problem?

Personal anecdote, just so everyone understands where I'm coming from on this: Five months ago I weighed 375 pounds. I knew for me personally I was not at a healthy weight, but I chose not to do anything about it because it was my body, my choice, and I didn't have any weight-related health issues. Then I got diagnosed as pre-type 2 diabetic. Got on the medication and made the diet changes. I've dropped at least 50 pounds and am still going. However, that was the choice I made. Others are entitled to choose what works for them and that's their prerogative. 

When I was at that weight I had a hell of a time finding clothes that fit. I would have loved to see one of these mannequins showing me what something looked like before I bothered trying it on because trying on clothes is garbage, and a lot of companies don't make clothes outside of certain sizes. But if you want heavy people to give up on wearing clothes entirely to hide their shame then please, keep encouraging clothing companies to limit their offerings to people who fit the "ideal body image".

Good luck telling the clothing companies that, they seem to like money for some reason and will try to get it from whoever they can.

Apologies for the wall-o-text, this is just something that hits close to home for me.

23 minutes ago, AZdogFan said:

I still don't follow the logic on how a mannequin in a department store glorifies obesity. It promotes people purchasing clothing that fits their body type.

Celebrating body positivity isn't a bad thing. Having a poor body image feeds into other mental health issues and creates a vicious cycle because of how people choose to deal with those issues. However, most sane, rational people aren't looking at a person weighing in at 400lbs and saying "This is a healthy body." You'll find people on the internet who may say they believe that, but you'll also find people taking horse medication for Covid or who think the moon landing was faked. There's a distinct line between "I'm a happy person" and "I'm a healthy person".

It's possible for people to be attractive, wear appealing clothing, and be happy in their lives at what are considered unhealthy weights. Those body types may not be for you personally and you're entitled to your personal opinion on who you take to bed. They're not asking you to get fat too, and they're not expecting to be cast as the next Captain America. They just want to live their lives, and if having a "dad-bod" mannequin makes that easier, why is that a problem?

Personal anecdote, just so everyone understands where I'm coming from on this: Five months ago I weighed 375 pounds. I knew for me personally I was not at a healthy weight, but I chose not to do anything about it because it was my body, my choice, and I didn't have any weight-related health issues. Then I got diagnosed as pre-type 2 diabetic. Got on the medication and made the diet changes. I've dropped at least 50 pounds and am still going. However, that was the choice I made. Others are entitled to choose what works for them and that's their prerogative. 

When I was at that weight I had a hell of a time finding clothes that fit. I would have loved to see one of these mannequins showing me what something looked like before I bothered trying it on because trying on clothes is garbage, and a lot of companies don't make clothes outside of certain sizes. But if you want heavy people to give up on wearing clothes entirely to hide their shame then please, keep encouraging clothing companies to limit their offerings to people who fit the "ideal body image".

Good luck telling the clothing companies that, they seem to like money for some reason and will try to get it from whoever they can.

Apologies for the wall-o-text, this is just something that hits close to home for me.

I think it's the part where the narrative as being overweight and unhealthy as "healthy" and anyone who says otherwise is 'fat shaming'.  Like shoving Ashley Graham in my face as a healthy person.  She's overweight and unhealthy.  Just like Gerard Depardieu likely smells like armpits and assholes.

Target has a range of mannequins. petite to curvy to heavy, with more and less musculature as well. Helps show the clothing on different body types which is nice, probably helps their sales. 

IDK but those beer belly dad MANnequins have me laughing tho. they just look dumb

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard. 

2 hours ago, AZdogFan said:

First off, congratulations on your improved health, and I appreciate you sharing your story. My dad (in his mid-70s) was similarly diagnosed as a pre-type 2 diabetic and the idea of being dependent on taking medication for the rest of his life scared the livid shit out of him. Like you, he made some real changes to his diet. Now, two years later, he has gone from a size 40 to a size 32 and is no longer pre-diabetic. 

Second, to be clear, I agree with the bolded statements above.

But that's where our opinions begin to diverge.

People may be happy at their unhealthy weights, but let's not conflate happiness with healthiness. Hell, there are no shortage of "happy" people wasting days away in a crack house or opium den for that matter. But I would surmise that obesity results in a far greater societal cost (e.g., cost burden our healthcare system and logistical burden on our healthcare infrastructure) than opioid addiction. And the numbers bare this out, as obesity kills between 280,000 and 320,000 Americans every single year, several times the number of all drug overdoses combined.

Medically speaking, our obesity problem is considered to be an epidemic (the AMA has officially considered it a disease for almost a decade now). I simply think we should be trying to combat it as opposed to catering to it. :shrug:

Due to their underlying condition, all those mannequins have been vaccinated.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.