RSF

World Cup qualifying

1 minute ago, RSF said:

That was the expectation being set based on the Nations League and Gold Cup (people seem to be forgetting those).  We got the one win on the road.  The only really disappointment should be the Canada game, but they're better than people give them credit for, and they were arguably more motivated, following a home draw, than the US was.  Panic/exhilaration are part and parcel of WC qualifying.  And with 2018 qualifying still fresh in the memory, such emotions are even more extreme.

Honestly watching the games I was more disappointed in the El Salvador match. I get road games are hard to win but we were way better than El Salvador and had chances to score. Yes we could have easily beat Canada but talent wises they are a lot closer to America than El Salvador. 

On 9/9/2021 at 6:27 AM, thedude15 said:

Honestly watching the games I was more disappointed in the El Salvador match. I get road games are hard to win but we were way better than El Salvador and had chances to score. Yes we could have easily beat Canada but talent wises they are a lot closer to America than El Salvador. 

Berhalter is basically a C+ Klinsmann.  The whole Kraut theory of playing out of the back only works when you have superior players.  It's why Farke stuggles at Norwich at the top level.  They do not seem to grasp the idea that in order to run that system, you need to have SUPERIOR players to make that system work.  Otherwise you're just playing the ball around the back end and eventually making mistakes.

GGG refuses to play to the strengths of his team. He's become convinced that, as an MLS coach and fired Swedish Second Division Coach, that he knows more than anyone else on how to construct a team. 

He needs to go, and he needs to go now. He was a nepotism hire from the beginning, and we need be done with him. 

• Like 2
1 hour ago, 702Canary said:

Berhalter is basically a C+ Klinsmann.  The whole Kraut theory of playing out of the back only works when you have superior players.  It's why Farke stuggles at Norwich at the top level.  They do not seem to grasp the idea that in order to run that system, you need to have SUPERIOR players to make that system work.  Otherwise you're just playing the ball around the back end and eventually making mistakes.

An F- Klinsmann as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have Klinsmann in charge of the team right now, even given how much I despise his coaching tactics. 

2 minutes ago, Poisestate said:

I am now only referring to Berhalter as "Mr. Tinker".

His hard-on for Gyasi Zardes is ridiculous. 

6 minutes ago, retrofade said:

An F- Klinsmann as far as I'm concerned. I'd rather have Klinsmann in charge of the team right now, even given how much I despise his coaching tactics. 

I'd rather have Klinsmann too.  Big mistake firing him.  He made the mistake of telling truths.

Just now, 702Canary said:

I'd rather have Klinsmann too.  Big mistake firing him.  He made the mistake of telling truths.

Oh don't get me wrong. I didn't like Klinsmann, but he'd still be better than GGG. 

It's a family affair - Soccer (football), Rugby and American football.

Date Event
1869 Soccer emerges

Soccer was the original football, with players using their feet to move the ball over a field. It is still called football in many countries today.
1870 Soccer evolves into rugby

Over the course of a few years, soccer fell out of popularity as rugby gained momentum. American football grew out of a combination of British rugby and soccer.
1876 Set in stone

As the game became more popular, players and fans knew it was time to set a few official rules. Walter Camp wrote a set of rules during the Massasoit Convention, and he later became known as the father of American football.
1892 Paid to play

The first paid football player was William Heffelfinger. He was paid $500 to play on the Allegheny Athletic Association's team in a game against a rival club, and he won the game for them.
1897 The first pro team

The Latrobe Athletic Association became the first to host an all-pro team. They played a full season with only paid, professional players.
1899 The oldest pro team

Today they are known as the Arizona Cardinals, but in 1899 they started out as a neighborhood team on the south side of Chicago. They were called the Morgan Athletic Club, then the Normals, and were later changed to the Cardinals.
1902 An attempt at a professional league

A few professional baseball associations decided they would dip their toes into the pool of professional football. They attempted the first pro league, named the National Football league, but it wouldn't take hold for several more years.
1912 Changing rules

The rules of the game evolved over time. Field goals changed from five points to four points, and eventually three points; touchdowns were increased from five points to six points.
1920 An official pro league

Because of the changing rules, changing salaries, and players from all walks of life, the professional teams found themselves in turmoil. They decided a professional league with consistent rules was necessary, so the American Football Conference was created,
1922 The NFL

The American Football Conference officially changed its name on June 24, 1922. It became the National Football League.
1922 New teams with big names(1922-1924)

Many teams who formed during these years still exist today. They include the Green Bay Packers, the Chicago Bears, and the New York Giants.
1925 Bigger crowds and more fans

Football's popularity continued to grow. On Thanksgiving Day in 1925, over 36,000 fans gathered to watch a game between the Chicago Bears and the Chicago Cardinals.
1926 The American Football League

After being denied his financial demands, football player Harold Grange started his own league named the American Football League. The AFL didn't gain popularity until around 1960, and it later merged with the NFL.
1933 Modern professional football emerges

The NFL had long followed college rules for American football. However, in order to modernize the game and create a better atmosphere for their own players, they changed the rules to fit their own style.
1970 A merging of leagues

Longtime rivals, the NFL and the AFL, made the decision to merge leagues. They now classify teams as the American Conference and the National Conference, but play by the same set of rules with a yearly playoff at the Super Bowl.
59 minutes ago, retrofade said:

GGG refuses to play to the strengths of his team. He's become convinced that, as an MLS coach and fired Swedish Second Division Coach, that he knows more than anyone else on how to construct a team. 

He needs to go, and he needs to go now. He was a nepotism hire from the beginning, and we need be done with him. 

I give him credit for snagging some dual nationals (Dest, Musah, Pepi). Winning both the Nations League and Gold Cup with essentially 2 different rosters definitely deserves praise, but I agree he needs to be fired. Poor tactics, even worse roster selection, and under-whelming results when it matters away from home.

Rotating 7!! guys from the Jamaica game was ridiculous. It shows that he still doesn't understand what is needed to win on the road in WCQ. Mexico for example only changed 2 or 3 guys I believe.

Why not start Adams if he knew McKennie wouldn't be available? Why sub out the only competent piece in midfield and leave Lleget and Acosta on for 90?

Why take Pepi off after 60 mins vs. Jamaica and not start him the next game?

Why give 2 starts to a centerback who wasn't on the original roster while giving 0 minutes to the best defender in camp (Richards)?

So many questions that shouldn't need to be asked during WCQ...

• Like 1
4 minutes ago, dshawfan said:

Geebus our D can be maddening 😑

That laser beam from Dest was a thing of beauty! 

All the good things now and in the future for the USMNT will come from Americans playing in Europe. Like Dest.   It might take a coach from over there but we'll see. Not impressed with 2 years of this guy.

• Like 2
1 hour ago, roughrider said:

All the good things now and in the future for the USMNT will come from Americans playing in Europe. Like Dest.   It might take a coach from over there but we'll see. Not impressed with 2 years of this guy.

This was my first chance to see Busio play; liked what I saw from him. 

• Like 2
16 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

So how many teams qualify from our region? Not impressed with the US team tonight. They looked much better against Mexico. 

Three teams qualify automatically. The fourth place team has a playoff. I can’t recall which region it’s against. It used to be Oceania.

Skill-wise this team is very good. Maybe as good in terms of overall team skill as we’ve ever had. The biggest problem is that they’re all very young - all at the same time. Americans tend to be tactically naive at the best of times, and that youth makes it worse.

Costa Rica has a World Cup pedigree as good as ours, but they have the opposite problem - all old at the same time.

I think we’ll definitely qualify in 2022. But 2026 is when we can be really good. Our core players will be entering the prime of their careers after 4 more years of playing in Europe. 

2 hours ago, Old_SD_Dude said:

Three teams qualify automatically. The fourth place team has a playoff. I can’t recall which region it’s against. It used to be Oceania.

There will be four confederations competing for two spots.  It will be a random draw and two countries will play home and home with the winner advancing to the World Cup.  Two winners of the home and homes advance.

• Like 1