Jump to content

Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

mugtang

UNLV AD Going to Mizzou

Recommended Posts

4 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV needs to hire people that want to be at UNLV and that understand UNLV/Las Vegas.  The problems arise when you hire outsiders who think they are going to show UNLV how it is supposed to be done and move on.

Good amount of truth to this......LV & UNLV don't have the traditional college / community ties that other places have

With the coming of the VGK, Raiders & maybe more......UNLV is becoming more of an after thought - and factor in the massive growth over the last 4 decades, where people have come from other places & have little to no affinity for UNLV, the entire approach needs to be as much marketing pro as AD - connections to the local biz community are imperative to UNLV just like they are to pro-sports 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, soupslam1 said:

She should fit in well at Missouri the school of PC. The senior Kruger would be a great pick. 

While Lon Kruger would probably make a very good AD at UNLV .......not sure he take that job because he might have to make a call on son Kevin Kruger that he would hate to make - Just don't see Lon wanting to put himself or even Kevin in a position like that despite the obvious nepotism aspects 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

While Lon Kruger would probably make a very good AD at UNLV .......not sure he take that job because he might have to make a call on son Kevin Kruger that he would hate to make - Just don't see Lon wanting to put himself or even Kevin in a position like that despite the obvious nepotism aspects 

That could get sticky but not insurmountable if handled right. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, UNLV2001 said:

Good amount of truth to this......LV & UNLV don't have the traditional college / community ties that other places have

With the coming of the VGK, Raiders & maybe more......UNLV is becoming more of an after thought - and factor in the massive growth over the last 4 decades, where people have come from other places & have little to no affinity for UNLV, the entire approach needs to be as much marketing pro as AD - connections to the local biz community are imperative to UNLV just like they are to pro-sports 

Sorry I don't agree.

All that matters is winning.

UNLV Basketball wins and is a top 25 program Thomas & Mack will have 14,000+ every night which would make UNLV one of the Top 20 attendance programs in the country.  No marketing needed.  Just wins!

UNLV Football wins and becomes a Top 25 program (which we will) we will average over 45,000+ fans with a winning Top 25 team in Las Vegas.  Allegiant will be a wild atmosphere with ZERO MARKETING NEEDED.  Just wins!  UNLV would be Top 50 in NCAA Football attendance with a winning program.  

Hire winners and get out of their way.  Go to the LVCVA and the major players in Las Vegas, get the money and hire WINNERS!

That is it.  Easy.  As AD you now sit back in your chair and do nothing.  Money rolling in.

Pro sports does not matter at all.  In Las Vegas they love winners.  Win and they will show up.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

While Lon Kruger would probably make a very good AD at UNLV .......not sure he take that job because he might have to make a call on son Kevin Kruger that he would hate to make - Just don't see Lon wanting to put himself or even Kevin in a position like that despite the obvious nepotism aspects 

It has already been done before many times.  You just have kevin report to someone else.

JRob had his son working for him when he was AD.  He just reports to someone else.

ALREADY SOLVED YEARS AGO!

Let the entire family get on the PERS GRAVY TRAIN!

https://lasvegassun.com/news/2002/apr/05/son-finds-home-with-dad/

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, soupslam1 said:

That could get sticky but not insurmountable if handled right. 

Possibly.......but I doubt Lon would want to have to come to that possible moment - Now if Kevin turned the program around & started winning, it could be a fun run for both Lon & Kevin & figure Lon might only stay on the job for a few years anyway, then he might avoid any calls on KK.

I see Lon being a behind the scenes guy for KK & the UNLV BB program 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 minutes ago, NevadaFan said:

Knuth isn’t going anywhere. Not because he isn’t a good AD but I’ve heard a rumor that if true seriously limits his upward mobility IMO.  

Never underestimate the power of a wife wanting to go home, lol. 

But not to worry, he said that although he would like the UNLV job, he wouldn’t come here directly from Reno, he said he’d go somewhere else in between. Didn’t want to create hard feelings. Lol. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

Sorry I don't agree.

All that matters is winning.

UNLV Basketball wins and is a top 25 program Thomas & Mack will have 14,000+ every night which would make UNLV one of the Top 20 attendance programs in the country.  No marketing needed.  Just wins!

UNLV Football wins and becomes a Top 25 program (which we will) we will average over 45,000+ fans with a winning Top 25 team in Las Vegas.  Allegiant will be a wild atmosphere with ZERO MARKETING NEEDED.  Just wins!  UNLV would be Top 50 in NCAA Football attendance with a winning program.  

Hire winners and get out of their way.  Go to the LVCVA and the major players in Las Vegas, get the money and hire WINNERS!

That is it.  Easy.  As AD you now sit back in your chair and do nothing.  Money rolling in.

Pro sports does not matter at all.  In Las Vegas they love winners.  Win and they will show up.

I agree with the winning, and in basketball UNLV could return to a T25 program fairly quickly and we would see attendance come back.....plus UNLV MBB can schedule UP pretty easy to get fans attention.

it's the rest of the athletic programs that need the local marketing & partnerships......and again winning would help immensely but all the rest of the sports will have a ceiling as long as UNLV is in the MWC......basketball can break thru that ceiling, just like it did back in the PCAA/BWC days, because NCAA BB allows G5's to get to the top.

Despite how good UNLV FB ever might get, there's always going to be a perception issue if UNLV is in the MWC - A T25 UNLV FB team should have great attendance for a non-conference P5 known opponent, but after that game or games, when the schedule gets back to being MWC teams the luster just isn't there 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, UNLV2001 said:

Despite how good UNLV FB ever might get, there's always going to be a perception issue if UNLV is in the MWC - A T25 UNLV FB team should have great attendance for a non-conference P5 known opponent, but after that game or games, when the schedule gets back to being MWC teams the luster just isn't there 

I think you will be surprised to see how many people show up to watch a good UNLV Football team playing on the strip.

We want people to go watch UNLV, not who UNLV is playing.  That is the goal.

We will achieve it.  Winning UNLV Football will be one of the most exciting events in the country.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Never underestimate the power of a wife wanting to go home, lol. 

But not to worry, he said that although he would like the UNLV job, he wouldn’t come here directly from Reno, he said he’d go somewhere else in between. Didn’t want to create hard feelings. Lol. 

Not sure UNR people could handle another "Red Defection" like Horton did .......but then that move might have killed his head coaching career :unsure:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, BleedRebelRed said:

This is not really surprising after DRF was named prominently during the UCLA and Northwestern AD hiring processes.

She was less of an embarrassment than her predecessor.  He biggest legacy at UNLV is the "neighborhood watch logo" that lasted from July of '17 to December of '18.  She brought in very little as far as fundraising and facilities although got credit for both the facilities that were already in the pipeline when she arrived and a major donation that finally cleared probate court last year but was actually made in 2016 before she arrived. 

Lindy La Roque was a great hire for women's basketball.  The jury is still out on her hires of Arroyo and Kruger, although both have all the advantages to succeed and hopefully both will.

I don’t see football winning more than three games this year, but I do think they will look better because they’ve had time to actually practice.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

Possibly.......but I doubt Lon would want to have to come to that possible moment - Now if Kevin turned the program around & started winning, it could be a fun run for both Lon & Kevin & figure Lon might only stay on the job for a few years anyway, then he might avoid any calls on KK.

I see Lon being a behind the scenes guy for KK & the UNLV BB program 

Just the outsider looking in...why in the hell would Lon want to be the AD?  He's retired. His retirement "job" is consulting with his son on BB, and working on his golf handicap.  He doesn't need a job by any means, and he sure doesn't need the headache associated with running an athletic department.  He might be a great hire, but I really question if he'd want anything to do with the job.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

I think you will be surprised to see how many people show up to watch a good UNLV Football team playing on the strip.

We want people to go watch UNLV, not who UNLV is playing.  That is the goal.

We will achieve it.  Winning UNLV Football will be one of the most exciting events in the country.

I'm not sold on that - few of anyone i know is clamoring for UNLV FB tickets.......and it they did get good, the crap parking situation at Allegiant Stadium could create a attendance ceiling ........dealing with crap parking for NFL is one thing, dealing with crap parking to see UNLV play San Jose St is another 

basketball program? Yes, i think it can be revived and get wins and attendance

football program? Maybe, but there's inherent issues that FB faces that BB doesn't 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Just the outsider looking in...why in the hell would Lon want to be the AD?  He's retired. His retirement "job" is consulting with his son on BB, and working on his golf handicap.  He doesn't need a job by any means, and he sure doesn't need the headache associated with running an athletic department.  He might be a great hire, but I really question if he'd want anything to do with the job.

Lon likes power

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Just the outsider looking in...why in the hell would Lon want to be the AD?  He's retired. His retirement "job" is consulting with his son on BB, and working on his golf handicap.  He doesn't need a job by any means, and he sure doesn't need the headache associated with running an athletic department.  He might be a great hire, but I really question if he'd want anything to do with the job.

And that is my thinking.......Lon doesn't need the job & with his son as basketball coach, Lon probably really doesn't want the job 

There is a certain level of delusion in the MWC UNLV fan base that you have to consider........and of course that delusion immediately brought Lon Kruger's name up as potential AD without giving it any thought

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

I'm not sold on that - few of anyone i know is clamoring for UNLV FB tickets.......and it they did get good, the crap parking situation at Allegiant Stadium could create a attendance ceiling ........dealing with crap parking for NFL is one thing, dealing with crap parking to see UNLV play San Jose St is another 

basketball program? Yes, i think it can be revived and get wins and attendance

football program? Maybe, but there's inherent issues that FB faces that BB doesn't 

You expect a team that went 0-6 last year to sell 30,000 season tickets?  A team that hasn't won big in 20+ years?

Allegiant Stadium parking is no issue at all for anyone with a brain.  I went to the Garth Brooks Concert and had no issues at all but that is because I used my brain and planned ahead a little bit. I don't just mindlessly roll into a 65,000 person event without thinking about my plans first.  Maybe that is just me?

A Top 25 Football team in Las Vegas would light up Allegiant Stadium.  UNLV would regularly have 50,000 people out there and it would be a blast.

Football Playoff structure is getting fixed and any program will soon have the opportunity to make the 12 team playoff.  UNLV Football will become a player nationally.

We will win and when we do, the stadium will be packed.  Las Vegas loves winners and they love being on the bandwagon like no other place.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, RebelRobert said:

You expect a team that went 0-6 last year to sell 30,000 season tickets?  A team that hasn't won big in 20+ years? No, i don't expect UNLV FB to sell 30K in tickets - 3,000 might be where they end up 

Allegiant Stadium parking is no issue at all for anyone with a brain.  I went to the Garth Brooks Concert and had no issues at all but that is because I used my brain and planned ahead a little bit. I don't just mindlessly roll into a 65,000 person event without thinking about my plans first.  Maybe that is just me?   That is just you - every local media outlet had stories on the horrendous parking situation at Allegiant 

A Top 25 Football team in Las Vegas would light up Allegiant Stadium.  UNLV would regularly have 50,000 people out there and it would be a blast. I mentioned to @Headbutt about a certain amount of delusion, thank you for providing that proof 

Football Playoff structure is getting fixed and any program will soon have the opportunity to make the 12 team playoff.  UNLV Football will become a player nationally. Again delusion comes into play as this fantasy is decades (or never away) 

We will win and when we do, the stadium will be packed.  Las Vegas loves winners and they love being on the bandwagon like no other place.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites



  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.



×
×
  • Create New...