Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Bruininthebay

Earliest to correctly speculate Texas and Oklahoma go to the SEC?

I posted in June 2017 in a thread titled 'Pac 16 2020' that I thought Texas and Oklahoma go the SEC.  It is hilarious how many other things are wrong but close in this speculative post from years ago.

Anyone have an earlier post regarding Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC?  Obviously I'm not the only one to wildly speculate on this board.

On 6/6/2017 at 1:04 PM, Bruininthebay said:

I think the ACC will go to 16 before 2024 because they will take Notre Dame and Connecticut.

Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC is the most football fan thing to happen and I think they'll do it because the money's there.

the Big Ten will be last to go to 16 by taking Kansas and Missouri from the SEC.  West Virginia slides into missouri's spot in the SEC East.

both the big 12 and PAC 12 will be considered autonomous like the three 16 team conferences.  The two 12 team conferences will alternate as the fourth school in the four team playoff.  The autonomous conferences  wantto protect the bowl system so they won't go to eight.

unfortunately I think  FCS is going to be the only division 1 level with a big tournament field.

i think college football is more about tradition than change.  Only the top of the market for sports media rights made it look otherwise a few years ago. 

42 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

Now, Mizzou leaving the SEC, I will definitely wait for a thread from you correctly predicting that.

https://www.ky3.com/2021/07/27/missouri-ad-jim-sterk-step-down-after-5-years-position/

Announced July 27 2021 regarding  former SDSU AD Jim Sterk, age 65, Missouri has announced that there is mutual agreement he will step down when a successor is hired .  Interesting wording.

I'm curious if one of the questions in the interview is whether Missouri should consider joining the Big Ten.  It isn't shocking if that question is asked, given the ongoing struggles Mizzou has had regarding ticket sales (average of ~50,000 with capacity of 60,000 in a conference averaging

Also, Kansas City sports radio sports twitter says that there remains a chance that Kansas could return to the Big Ten but there is no similar report regarding Iowa State.  

2 minutes ago, Bruininthebay said:

https://www.ky3.com/2021/07/27/missouri-ad-jim-sterk-step-down-after-5-years-position/

regarding a former SDSU AD, age 65, Missouri has announced that there is mutual agreement he will step down when  .  Interesting wording.

I'm curious if one of the questions in the interview is whether Missouri should consider joining the Big Ten.  It isn't shocking if that question is asked, given the ongoing struggles Mizzou has had regarding ticket sales (average of ~50,000 with capacity of 60,000 in a conference averaging

Also, Kansas City sports radio sports twitter says that there remains a chance that Kansas could return to the Big Ten but there is no similar report regarding Iowa State.  If I can find the tweet I'll link that.

The link worked, but it wasn't as fun as I was hoping for.  I just can't see why Mizzou would leave the better conference with better payout and better all-around competition for the Big Ten.    Especially if KU goes there, I don't see them looking like the coat-tailer.  And I say that as someone who has followed the Big Ten since I was a little Goofer fan, so I don't knock it lightly.

As for Sterk, he was marginally decent at best here, and looking at how Mizzou athletics is doing, he wasn't doing a bang up job there.

8 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

The link worked, but it wasn't as fun as I was hoping for.  I just can't see why Mizzou would leave the better conference with better payout and better all-around competition for the Big Ten.    Especially if KU goes there, I don't see them looking like the coat-tailer.  And I say that as someone who has followed the Big Ten since I was a little Goofer fan, so I don't knock it lightly.

As for Sterk, he was marginally decent at best here, and looking at how Mizzou athletics is doing, he wasn't doing a bang up job there.

JMO, but I think both KU and Mizzou are more valuable with their rivalry intact. Also leaving the SEC would reunite them with Nebraska. No doubt the SEC is the better FB conf and will likely command more money, but Mizzou will likely have an existence like Ark in the SEC (no divisions, no champs). In the West part of the B1G they at least have a chance to make it to the CCG. 

17 minutes ago, East Coast Aztec said:

The Big Ten has a better payout than the SEC and probably will continue to do so because there are so many more large media markets in the Big Ten footprint versus the SEC.  Right now the SEC is acting to close the gap by adding Texas and Oklahoma.

A revived Border War has monetary value even if the conventional wisdom is to bemoan the state of Kansas University football; Mizzou v Illinois would also be a huge game because St Louis is only a lit bit further than Chicago from Urbana Champaign 

Also, the university is concerned about staying in the AAU and joining the Big Ten probably addresses those concerns among the faculty and administration.  https://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20181207/quality-quartiles-and-quagmires-at-university-of-missouri

1 hour ago, Bruininthebay said:

The Big Ten has a better payout than the SEC and probably will continue to do so because there are so many more large media markets in the Big Ten footprint versus the SEC.  Right now the SEC is acting to close the gap by adding Texas and Oklahoma.

A revived Border War has monetary value even if the conventional wisdom is to bemoan the state of Kansas University football; Mizzou v Illinois would also be a huge game because St Louis is only a lit bit further than Chicago from Urbana Champaign 

Also, the university is concerned about staying in the AAU and joining the Big Ten probably addresses those concerns among the faculty and administration.  https://www.columbiatribune.com/news/20181207/quality-quartiles-and-quagmires-at-university-of-missouri

KU is the 3rd wealthiest AD in the B12 after UT/OU....and thats with one of the worst FB teams in FBS, let alone "P5". KU and Mizzou together are worth significantly more than the sum of their parts. 

2 hours ago, Bruininthebay said:

I posted in June 2017 in a thread titled 'Pac 16 2020' that I thought Texas and Oklahoma go the SEC.  It is hilarious how many other things are wrong but close in this speculative post from years ago.

Anyone have an earlier post regarding Texas and Oklahoma to the SEC?  Obviously I'm not the only one to wildly speculate on this board.

bruh this is mwcboard. there is no expansion scenario that had not already been mapped out by jan 1 2007 at the latest 

Remember that every argument you have with someone on MWCboard is actually the continuation of a different argument they had with someone else also on MWCboard.