Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

UNLV2001

The fans are upset

Yeah, the schedule absolutely sucks. We better hope the rest of the MW does well OOC, or we'll need to win the conference tournament to get in. 

Scheduling is particularly tough right now. Budget limitations created by COVID and P-5 attitudes toward home-and-homes make it very difficult.  If I didn’t think Alford was an ass, I’d actually feel for him.

in CSU’s case, they were fortunate to get an MTE that could include games with Creighton and Colorado. And they had to chase games at neutral sites with Mississippi State and Alabama. They had return games with St Mary’s and Tulsa  who should both be Top 50-100. I know that CSU is still working on one more high profile game before announcing their schedule.

1 hour ago, Swoll Cracker said:

Scheduling is particularly tough right now. Budget limitations created by COVID and P-5 attitudes toward home-and-homes make it very difficult.  If I didn’t think Alford was an ass, I’d actually feel for him.

in CSU’s case, they were fortunate to get an MTE that could include games with Creighton and Colorado. And they had to chase games at neutral sites with Mississippi State and Alabama. They had return games with St Mary’s and Tulsa  who should both be Top 50-100. I know that CSU is still working on one more high profile game before announcing their schedule.

Yeah Alford's excuse was that we were obligated to play all of the games that were cancelled last season, and then we had a couple other games against P5s that were cancelled. Even still, we should've found at least one or two additional road games at P5s if that's what it took. 

On 8/3/2021 at 4:27 PM, UNLV2001 said:

Scheduling for wins and to build confidence within a young roster is exactly the way to set your program up for continued success. Step the schedule up with the experience level of your young core. 

You can't do it every year, or most years, but you're crazy if you're a mwc type conference/school and you never do it.

Fans will be upset at first, but you have a much better chance to make a postseason and play more meaningful basketball. It doesn't matter if you schedule up, but get blown out and have a bunch of losses.

Overscheduling can kill confidence and ruin recruiting and culture. Winning cultures make everything in recruiting better and easier. 

Why would a P5 play a G5? Nothing to gain and everything to lose. Few exceptions, but the MWC doesn't host any of them.

5 hours ago, qwelish said:

Scheduling for wins and to build confidence within a young roster is exactly the way to set your program up for continued success. Step the schedule up with the experience level of your young core. 

You can't do it every year, or most years, but you're crazy if you're a mwc type conference/school and you never do it.

Fans will be upset at first, but you have a much better chance to make a postseason and play more meaningful basketball. It doesn't matter if you schedule up, but get blown out and have a bunch of losses.

Overscheduling can kill confidence and ruin recruiting and culture. Winning cultures make everything in recruiting better and easier. 

For an annually crummy program, you’d be right. The thing is, the roster isn’t that young anymore. They got a ton of experience last year en route to being just below the top tier of the conference. We’re not rebuilding, we’re good to go toe to toe with an at large quality non-conference. So this does indeed suck.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.

Have to weasel into a preseason tournament anymore to get good OOC games.  Boise has Tulsa, St Louis, Irvine, Santa Clara......not a money conference school in sight.   But the Charleston classic they're in Nov 18-21 has Clemson, West Virginia, Ole Miss, St Bonaventure, Temple and Marquette.   So maybe Leon gets his early season marquee W that pollsters lean on while he falters in March again...

By again being in the Wooden Legacy tournament, at worst the Aztecs will play two Big East schools over Thanksgiving. Assuming we beat one of those two in the opener, we'll then likely play USC. In 2022, we play in Maui again.

As with Boise in football, when you're in a conference run by Craig Thompson, you need that kind of sustained success to be able to schedule quality OOC opponents.

1 hour ago, ph90702 said:

The good news is that we’re only playing 18 conference games.

This year, yes.  But isn't it reverting to 20 again in '22-'23?

3 minutes ago, ph90702 said:

That’s news to me!

Originally it was going to stay at 18 until '22-'23.  The pandemic changed that for last season.  Is it going to be 18 moving forward?

3 hours ago, 818SUDSFan said:

By again being in the Wooden Legacy tournament, at worst the Aztecs will play two Big East schools over Thanksgiving. Assuming we beat one of those two in the opener, we'll then likely play USC. In 2022, we play in Maui again.

As with Boise in football, when you're in a conference run by Craig Thompson, you need that kind of sustained success to be able to schedule quality OOC opponents.

The first sentence tells the story of the schedule. Nevada has had decent schedules in the past and will again in the future. People can’t read and or have zero patience these days. 

18 minutes ago, jdgaucho said:

Originally it was going to stay at 18 until '22-'23.  The pandemic changed that for last season.  Is it going to be 18 moving forward?

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be 18 going forward if that’s what they’re doing this year.  There’s no reason to play 20 conference games.

2 hours ago, ph90702 said:

I don’t see why it wouldn’t be 18 going forward if that’s what they’re doing this year.  There’s no reason to play 20 conference games.

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe so you can play home and home with the rest of the conference?  To me, that's a pretty huge reason.

44 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Oh, I don't know.  Maybe so you can play home and home with the rest of the conference?  To me, that's a pretty huge reason.

That’s the dumbest reason I’ve ever heard!  By that logic, the B1G and SEC should play 26 conference games.