Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

US trusts media less than any other first world (hate that term) country.

33 minutes ago, thelawlorfaithful said:

You had the golden opportunity to drive the red pen through the heart of this monster once and for all, and instead you went for a very good joke.

This is why people don’t trust the media

Sometimes you just gotta zag when they think you're gonna zig. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Related.

https://cepa.ecms.pl/files/?id_plik=2773

The Russian government uses disinformation, incitement to violence and hate speech to destroy trust, sap morale, degrade the information space, erode public discourse and increase partisanship. Our ability to respond is constrained by the mainstream media’s loss of reach and impact. Its myth-busting and fact-checking reaches only a limited audience—and probably not the one the Kremlin is targeting. The response involves a contradiction: our approach must be tailored to different audiences, yet must also seek to build trust between polarized groups

People, not a fan.

17 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Damn straight.  We are Americans.  We didn’t wait for the limeys to leave on their own and then join some silly commonwealth with the queen of freaking England as head of state, we kicked their asses and sent them packing across the Atlantic.

we question authority, and if you aren’t teaching your kids to do so you are making a mistake.

3 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Obviously, everything you say here is correct. But I still think my explanation is the largest factor, at least right now. Almost every single person who said they don't trust the news in that survey gets their news that they trust from somewhere. "The News" that they don't trust is a term they use selectively and apply to whatever outlet that the outlet they do trust tells them not to trust. Just like the fact that the reason they don't trust the media is because someone in the media convinces them that the media is lying to them. 

"The News" and "The Media" are similar terms to "elites" and "the government" - in most cases, they just refer to the aspects of the institution that you don't like. 

It's all "anti-establishmentism". All of it. Catch is, like you say, the establishment is whatever one's team identifies as not what they want. Rage against the machine, and the machine is always the other team, despite having the presidency, senate and most of the court. The machine is still somebody else.

3 hours ago, CPslograd said:

Damn straight.  We are Americans.  We didn’t wait for the limeys to leave on their own and then join some silly commonwealth with the queen of freaking England as head of state, we kicked their asses and sent them packing across the Atlantic.

we question authority, and if you aren’t teaching your kids to do so you are making a mistake.

Filthy, colonial, cur! You shall bow before Queen Khaleesi I!

In all seriousness, about half the US at the time were Loyalists and compromised a fair number of the armies the British had in the US at the time. What's more, it took getting most of the other European powers involved at the time (of which, France would later pay quite the price), as well as coordinating with the French Navy in the latter half. Prior, the US struggled to win battles, and were often beaten badly.

And then the War of 1812, where the US invaded Canada, and got smashed. With the outcome being the maps would remain the same and such.

And one final note; England had a King at the time of the Revolutionary War. It would be sometime before a Queen would take the thrown.

4 minutes ago, son of a gun said:

Filthy, colonial, cur! You shall bow before Queen Khaleesi I!

In all seriousness, about half the US at the time were Loyalists and compromised a fair number of the armies the British had in the US at the time. What's more, it took getting most of the other European powers involved at the time (of which, France would later pay quite the price), as well as coordinating with the French Navy in the latter half. Prior, the US struggled to win battles, and were often beaten badly.

And then the War of 1812, where the US invaded Canada, and got smashed. With the outcome being the maps would remain the same and such.

And one final note; England had a King at the time of the Revolutionary War. It would be sometime before a Queen would take the thrown.

1812 was a draw.  And the loyalists were pussies

8 hours ago, smltwnrckr said:

Obviously, everything you say here is correct. But I still think my explanation is the largest factor, at least right now. Almost every single person who said they don't trust the news in that survey gets their news that they trust from somewhere. "The News" that they don't trust is a term they use selectively and apply to whatever outlet that the outlet they do trust tells them not to trust. Just like the fact that the reason they don't trust the media is because someone in the media convinces them that the media is lying to them. 

"The News" and "The Media" are similar terms to "elites" and "the government" - in most cases, they just refer to the aspects of the institution that you don't like. 

I think you’re right. My focus was more on the institutional issues that help fuel this. 

11 hours ago, sean327 said:

I only watch my local news, and the only reason I watch that is for the weather and local sports. The news portion is terrible here because they rarely follow up on stories. Yuma is in a unique situation where the CBS, NBC, ABC, and Fox channels are all owned by the same company. That means they all show the same local newscast. There is no competition, no incentive to improve the product. Being a small market, the on air talent is here for a short time. They move on to bigger markets very quickly. It’s hard to build any trust with the combination of factors we have here. Then you throw in the joke that cable news has become, and you have an environment that breeds mistrust of the entire industry. This is a self inflicted wound media wide.

When I think of Yuma I think of the Saelack pit that Boba Fett fell into

2 hours ago, CPslograd said:

1812 was an draw everlasting victory. The empire for which the sun never set never again messed with the United States. They only contemplated it once more and in their plans conceded that Canada would be lost for good. And the loyalists were pussies

FIFY.

We’re all sitting in the dugout. Thinking we should pitch. How you gonna throw a shutout when all you do is bitch.