Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Nevada Convert

Medal Count Is Bogus

I’m so tired of some of these outlets that use only gold medals to rank the countries. Total medals is better than that but still lacking. The obvious thing to do is give 3 points for a gold, two for silver, one bronze. This is the top 3 right now using that:

1.  USA 83
2. China 75
3. Non-Russia Russia  63

Instead of:

1.  China 17
2. Japan 15
3.  USA 14

kat.jpg

C'mon, athletes either WIN the event or not. Gold medals are the only thing that really matters.

silver and bronze are consolation prizes

U.S just needs to step their game up--they send more athletes than any other country. They should be leading in all medal categories. 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

Ricky Bobby Dad Quotes. QuotesGram

If you are not gold you're last

just kidding really being 2nd or third in the world and in a situation where it is "on this day and this day only for the next 4 years"  is pretty good and will make you a ton of cash

hell just being at The Olympics is no shame

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

Well it is also bogus cause a gold from some random individual sport maybe 10k people in the whole world play is just as valuable as a team sport that has over 250million active players in the world (soccer). And if you are an elite swimmer you could get what up to 6 golds. But if you are an elite players in a team sports 1 is the max. 

You just keep track in your head whatever makes you feel better. Very few people are even paying attention to the Olympics this time. Remember though to protect your own mental health, that is what really matters.

Is it possible to give a facepalm to an entire thread?

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Who cares? There's two ways to count it. Most gold medals or most medals overall. I personally go by the most gold medals overall, but it's very likely the USA will have the most gold medals so I don't see why we should stress over it...and if not, they will definitely have the most medals.

1 hour ago, soupslam1 said:

China is currently kicking our ass in politics and athletics. They brought us to our knees with Covid.

Lol. 

1.  USA 83
2. China 75

29 minutes ago, Jalex4141 said:

I have not once heard the traditional Olympic anthem these games. Has anyone else noticed that or am I just missing it. My recollection from past Olympics is that it always played going into commercials

This one?  Its not the Olympic anthem.  And yes, its being used on the broadcasts.

This is the official Olympic anthem,

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

I think I read somewhere that around 70% of the US athletes are first time Olympians. I'm sure that's much higher than a normal year.

Could explain why the Gold wins are not on pace with 2016. A lot of athletes hit their peak a few years ago and a new generation is being ushered in

The medal count is bogus because it was made up by the United States as some sort of internal competition.  It isn't an official thing.  Maybe they broadcast something like this in China and Russia now as well but the vast majority of the world wouldn't even be cognizant of it.

6 minutes ago, Spot50B said:

The medal count is bogus because it was made up by the United States as some sort of internal competition.  It isn't an official thing.  Maybe they broadcast something like this in China and Russia now as well but the vast majority of the world wouldn't even be cognizant of it.

https://olympics.com/tokyo-2020/olympic-games/en/results/all-sports/medal-standings.htm

https://www.bbc.com/sport/olympics/57836709

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/summer/medals

1 hour ago, RSF said:

This one?  Its not the Olympic anthem.  And yes, its being used on the broadcasts.

This is the official Olympic anthem,

Yes that one.  I will have to pay closer attention.