Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

renoskier

Gold Cup USA v Qatar

4 hours ago, roughrider said:

He's probably on the 23 I agree.  Berhalter loves the guy and that alone means he's likely there.  Hopefully not a starter.

It's too bad Berhalter didn't call up any solid wingers to the Gold Cup. Would have been nice to see what Hoppe could do from a central role with solid service coming in from out wide, but he's been forced wide due to lack of options out there.

For WCQ, I think I'd put Zardes and Dike in a tie for 3rd behind Sargent/Hoppe in the striker pecking order. When you throw in guys like Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Konrad, Reyna, etc. there's no reason to keep Hoppe from playing as a central striker.

2 minutes ago, tspoke said:

I thought the Gold Cup was the North American Cup. Why was Qatar in it?

Guest.  The USA and Mexico have been guest teams in the Copa America (So America) before.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

2 hours ago, misplacedcowboy said:

It's too bad Berhalter didn't call up any solid wingers to the Gold Cup. Would have been nice to see what Hoppe could do from a central role with solid service coming in from out wide, but he's been forced wide due to lack of options out there.

For WCQ, I think I'd put Zardes and Dike in a tie for 3rd behind Sargent/Hoppe in the striker pecking order. When you throw in guys like Pulisic, Aaronson, Weah, Konrad, Reyna, etc. there's no reason to keep Hoppe from playing as a central striker.

His roster selections and even sub patterns (e.g Roldan in for Busio when Arriola was sucking) are confusing to me, and wings were a big miss I agree. 

No more Arriola, Roldan or forwards stuffed into wings.  I get it that all the best wing players are in Europe and there are none of them in this camp and that's the only reason I'm not too fired up over this GC roster.  In fact they exceeded my expectations already.

That reminds me...one of the most famous games in US history was in the 1998 Gold Cup against a guest team - Brazil.  Kasey Keller stood on his head for 90 minutes and the US won 1-0...then lost to Mexico in the finals.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

24 minutes ago, RSF said:

That reminds me...one of the most famous games in US history was in the 1998 Gold Cup against a guest team - Brazil.  Kasey Keller stood on his head for 90 minutes and the US won 1-0...then lost to Mexico in the finals.

Seems like the most likely outcome.  Pretty much the best team for Mexico minus a couple aging stars and definitely not the best team for the US.  Can't imagine losing to the US's second team would not cause a major uproar in Mexico.  They should have all the pressure on them which can be taken advantage of (if the US coach can figure out how).

1 hour ago, RSF said:

Guest.  The USA and Mexico have been guest teams in the Copa America (So America) before.

WC hosts tend to get a lot of those invitations in the year they're hosting. 

I honestly think that it was a solid victory. We effectively brought out B/C squad, and beat Qatar's A team. 

41 minutes ago, roughrider said:

His roster selections and even sub patterns (e.g Roldan in for Busio when Arriola was sucking) are confusing to me, and wings were a big miss I agree. 

No more Arriola, Roldan or forwards stuffed into wings.  I get it that all the best wing players are in Europe and there are none of them in this camp and that's the only reason I'm not too fired up over this GC roster.  In fact they exceeded my expectations already.

GGG is an awful tactical coach. This team is winning despite what he does. I was impressed to see a breakneck attack pace yesterday, but I haven't seen that with the A team, even though they'd be able to overwhelm all of CONCACAF if they did it. He got the fvcking job because of his brother, and he's completely incompetent in trying guide them to victory. Every match that we win is in spite of his idiotic lineups and subs. Fvck GGG and his brother for foisting him on us. I just hope that his brother's resignation last year will mean that the fed will get rid of him soon.

2 hours ago, masterfrog said:

The fact that we don't send our best shows why the Gold Cup shouldn't even exist.  You don't see countries doing that in the Euro or Copa America. 

The Euros and Copa America didnt have to run 2 major competitions back to back.  Thats why we split our squad.  If the Nations League finals hadnt delayed to June, you would have seen the A team in the Gold Cup.

It actually works to our benefit.  It allowed more guys to get intl experience.  Which will be important with the compacted WCQ schedule.

6 hours ago, roughrider said:

Seems like the most likely outcome.  Pretty much the best team for Mexico minus a couple aging stars and definitely not the best team for the US.  Can't imagine losing to the US's second team would not cause a major uproar in Mexico.  They should have all the pressure on them which can be taken advantage of (if the US coach can figure out how).

isn't Mexico missing a few young players at the Olympics?