Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

halfmanhalfbronco

Will you go back to wearing a mask indoors?

17 minutes ago, Billings said:

well I met with some science teachers from local christian school.  They were a feeder k-8 school to the public High School where I taught chemistry and earth science.

They could not believe we taught that climate change was real and that we did not teach creationism as a scientific option.  They pushed hard for us to change the curriculum and teach their ideas as real science and then let the kids decide which to believe.   I just sat there grinning and shaking my head.

It’s has to be more frustrating for you as a science teacher. It would be very hard for me not to throat punch these idiots if I was in your shoes.

I can’t wrap my head around their thinking. I’m a religious person and I believe in science. I believe science and religion can coexist. I see it this way, God made us intelligent and curious so that we would be able to better ourselves and gain an understanding of our world and the universe. These people waste that gift. The Big Guy upstairs doesn’t want us to be ignorant monkeys. If he did, he wouldn’t have given us the capacity to question and explore.

1 hour ago, sean327 said:

It’s has to be more frustrating for you as a science teacher. It would be very hard for me not to throat punch these idiots if I was in your shoes.

I can’t wrap my head around their thinking. I’m a religious person and I believe in science. I believe science and religion can coexist. I see it this way, God made us intelligent and curious so that we would be able to better ourselves and gain an understanding of our world and the universe. These people waste that gift. The Big Guy upstairs doesn’t want us to be ignorant monkeys. If he did, he wouldn’t have given us the capacity to question and explore.

Those people take everything so literally. God created the world in 7 days? God certainly defines a day as more like an “age” of a long period of time like many, many, many centuries. 

kat.jpg

My neighbor across the street owns a breakfast/lunch restaurant. I asked her today if she had any trouble with people not wanting to wear masks this time around. She said so far so good except for just one single asshole, which happens to be another neighbor of ours.  :rolleyes: and he eats there 4 times a week.

1 hour ago, East Coast Aztec said:

I'll take a bulletproof vest if they are just giving them out like they are a vaccine.

I would too. Unfortunately, this is the mask thread not the vaccine thread. Sorry, you need to buy your own bulletproof vest.

110926run_defense710.jpg

14 hours ago, modestobulldog said:

Pelosi should have mandated people wear bullet proof vests around DC instead of masks, pretty sure more people died of bullets than COVID recently

Screenshot_20210801-183926.png

Cute, but more retarded than a boatload of Bobs in a short bus.

Total humber of all homicides in DC in 2020: 198

Total number of COVID deaths to date in DC: 1,149

Total number of homicides in DC so far in 2021: 114

Total number of COVID deaths in DC so far in 2021: 321

Now... before you say, "I said recently," understand that such dynamic, subjective parameters make any comparison worthless - it becomes analogous to arguing whether the buttered side of a piece of bread lands face up or face down.

Maybe the reason for pushing for reinstating mask mandates is so large urban population centers don't crater in their containment efforts like the Republic of Dumbf*ckistan has in the South? :hmmm:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

21 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

Now... before you say, "I said recently," understand that such dynamic, subjective parameters make any comparison worthless - it becomes analogous to arguing whether the buttered side of a piece of bread lands face up or face down.

Maybe the reason for pushing for reinstating mask mandates is so large urban population centers don't crater in their containment efforts like the Republic of Dumbf*ckistan has in the South? :hmmm:

Zero isn't low enough?

110926run_defense710.jpg

27 minutes ago, modestobulldog said:

Zero isn't low enough?

Of course it is! However, in the absence of mitigation measure, all the data indicates that will soon change. Thus, I would respond with the same question with which I ended my last post:

50 minutes ago, TheSanDiegan said:

St-Javelin-Sm.jpgChase.jpg 

Came back to work today having to wear masks again. This time I'm super annoyed. Being vaccinated is a thousand times more effective at preventing transmission, but we have to suffer again because the fools out there who won't get the shot are still going out all crazy. 

On 8/2/2021 at 9:16 AM, TheSanDiegan said:

@modestobulldog

Also, it's a silly analogy to begin with for myriad reasons. Myriad. So are the speed limit comparisons I see on social going around.

Society does a crap ton things in an attempt to reduce gun or traffic deaths.  Their just so "normal" that we take them for granted.

1 hour ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I practically begged to be allowed to teach in person this fall. I’m coming back, but with a mask mandate. If that’s what it takes…

I just sat through an informational session where they basically said, as of beginning of semester, masks in classrooms. I'm annoyed (because we have a vax mandate for all students, faculty and staff), but it's better than Zoom. 

Planning is an exercise of power, and in a modern state much real power is suffused with boredom. The agents of planning are usually boring; the planning process is boring; the implementation of plans is always boring. In a democracy boredom works for bureaucracies and corporations as smell works for skunk. It keeps danger away. Power does not have to be exercised behind the scenes. It can be open. The audience is asleep. The modern world is forged amidst our inattention.

Put on a mask this morning as I logged into work.

Dog looked at me kinda funny, then went back to sleep....

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Local governments are starting to re-institute mask mandates for government buildings now. Some stores are starting to put them back into place as well. I was just at Target about an hour ago, and about 70% of the people I came across were wearing masks, even without a mandate, which was surprising to me. 

45 minutes ago, smltwnrckr said:

I just sat through an informational session where they basically said, as of beginning of semester, masks in classrooms. I'm annoyed (because we have a vax mandate for all students, faculty and staff), but it's better than Zoom. 

We’re not requiring vaccines which frustrates the hell out of me. Because of that our union wouldn’t agree to a return to campus so they gave us the choice. Only 10% agreed, and that was pre-delta.

I’m going to send a strongly worded email to all students in my classes basically begging them to reconsider taking in-person classes if they aren’t vaccinated. I’m not allowed to ask and I’m definitely not allowed to send them home but hopefully I can appeal to their humanity because nothing short of a campus-wide shutdown is going to keep me out of the classroom this fall.