halfmanhalfbronco

Will you go back to wearing a mask indoors?

7 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

Makes me wonder why we have this intrinsic reverence for small business owners. This clown proves any slapdick idiot can run a small business. Somehow it seems like the more idiotic you are, the more successful you are, maybe only in the hospitality industry (small restaurant, club, etc)? 

I dunno, maybe he can cook the shit out of some Italian recipes... can confirm @SJSUMFA2013?

But yeah. We've all come across jerk small business owners who make us wonder, "how the fcuk are you in business???"

• Like 1
1 minute ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Sometimes it takes balls, not brains to run small business. I've made that  observation more than once.

It can be beneficial to be a douche owner/manager of a bar/lounge/restaurant/club. That was my experience when I was a promoter.

Chances are, he's just the money, but his Mex/Guatemalan/Salvadoran immigrants cooks are the talent.

I think there is a fair amount of "cult of personality" involved in running a hospitality business too. People are looking more at buying an experience than a good. They will even overlook service if they end up entertained in other ways.

Disagree with the dude's politics, and sense of reality, but he just got national attention. For a small restauranteur, you can't find more success than that. Hell he may be franchising before long now.

• Like 1
Just now, DoubleBlueGold said:

But yeah. We've all come across jerk small business owners who make us wonder, "how the fcuk are you in business???"

I mean it is more about promotion than product or even business sense it seems.

• Like 2
1 minute ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Oh he couldn’t cook at all. I believe the recipes were all passed down from his mother (maybe grandmother?). His real strength was justifying massive markups.

It probably helps that Tito Ortiz is a council member in HB. They likely are chummy. "Come to my restaurant or Tito will make you tap out!"

11 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

Chances are, he's just the money, but his Mex/Guatemalan/Salvadoran immigrants cooks are the talent.

This right here. 

• Cheers 1
21 minutes ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

It probably helps that Tito Ortiz is a council member in HB. They likely are chummy. "Come to my restaurant or Tito will make you tap out!"

This was in North OC 15 years ago. 

For as much of a loon as he obviously is, he knew what he was doing. We were packed every night. The restaurant is still there, new ownership didn’t change a thing, and it’s still a huge moneymaker. Or at least it was before covid. High end crowd too. I waited on topher grace one time.

He didn’t need to be a cheap asshole to make money, but he was anyway, which is why he was so universally hated.

The vaccine thing doesn’t surprise me. HB is full of people like that. He probably just calculated that it would be good for business. Wouldn’t shock me if he himself is vaccinated and just pandering. 

• Like 4
4 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

I actually have a Mil (Thousand) Mascaras face mask. I have a couple luchador ones. Which better ones to wear during this pandemic.

I took photos of discarded masks laying on the ground up until recently. I stopped when I got to a thousand. 

• Sad 1
  • Angry 1
54 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

Wouldn’t shock me if he himself is vaccinated and just pandering. 

This is my feeling on most pushing the anit-mask, anti-vax movement. At least those with a national audience (media and politicians). They are all vaxxed. They pander to the rubes like @Bob. They don't care if these people get sick with long term maladies or die. They don't care about any societal impact. They just want their votes, clicks, eyeballs and money. Those people were smart enough to get the vaccine. They don't care about anyone else. Push out as much misinformation to keep the rubes paying and keep their power. Play to the distrust these people have in everything.

Now the unvaxxed minorities are a whole other issue, and one that I think could be fixed with targeted, correct, information. That's the low hanging fruit that the Biden Admin needs to get to. The white conservatives are going to kill/maim themselves for their politics, and are a lost cause, but too much effort and attention is being put towards them. Because they are white? Maybe structural racism still exists in the pandemic response @East Coast Aztec? Or maybe it is in the media coverage that is ignoring efforts towards the minority communities?

• Like 2
8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

This is my feeling on most pushing the anit-mask, anti-vax movement. At least those with a national audience (media and politicians). They are all vaxxed. They pander to the rubes like @Bob. They don't care if these people get sick with long term maladies or die. They don't care about any societal impact. They just want their votes, clicks, eyeballs and money. Those people were smart enough to get the vaccine. They don't care about anyone else. Push out as much misinformation to keep the rubes paying and keep their power. Play to the distrust these people have in everything.

Now the unvaxxed minorities are a whole other issue, and one that I think could be fixed with targeted, correct, information. That's the low hanging fruit that the Biden Admin needs to get to. The white conservatives are going to kill/maim themselves for their politics, and are a lost cause, but too much effort and attention is being put towards them. Because they are white? Maybe structural racism still exists in the pandemic response @East Coast Aztec? Or maybe it is in the media coverage that is ignoring efforts towards the minority communities?

I think the white conservatives are louder, so they get the most attention. 

17 minutes ago, SJSUMFA2013 said:

I think the white conservatives are louder, so they get the most attention. 

It would not matter how loud they are if no one listened to them. So why do we listen to them? We listen to them and do we really know why minorities are not getting vaccinated? I mean really know? Both have an equal shot at serious consequences over this but one seems to get all the attention at the expense of the other.

I find that a little disturbing.

8 minutes ago, SharkTanked said:

It would not matter how loud they are if no one listened to them. So why do we listen to them? We listen to them and do we really know why minorities are not getting vaccinated? I mean really know? Both have an equal shot at serious consequences over this but one seems to get all the attention at the expense of the other.

I find that a little disturbing.

Minorities being ignored in favor of obstinate white people is about as American as it gets. 

Idk what the answer is but clearly white liberals have not earned the kind of trust we seem to feel we deserve.

I’ve changed my mind. I will not put a mask on again period! I have a damn get out of jail free card. I’m not the problem. The idiot anti-vaxers are the problem. I got the shots, so I’m not playing the game anymore. 

Shits getting real in here.. just a warning to the posters here, I’m undefeated in fights on the internet that never materialized into an actual physical fight. 

So take that into consideration next time you think you’re tough.

27 minutes ago, sean327 said:

I’ve changed my mind. I will not put a mask on again period! I have a damn get out of jail free card. I’m not the problem. The idiot anti-vaxers are the problem. I got the shots, so I’m not playing the game anymore. 

I hear ya. It is frustrating as hell. 

• Cheers 1
4 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

Shits getting real in here.. just a warning to the posters here, I’m undefeated in fights on the internet that never materialized into an actual physical fight. 

But have you been to a Best Buy parking lot late at night??

• Haha 1
25 minutes ago, IanforHeisman said:

20 minutes ago, sean327 said:

But have you been to a Best Buy parking lot late at night??

In case, anyone wants to meet late night at the Best Buy lot, this is what I look like;

Danny Trejo Launches 'Trejo's Music' Record Label: Exclusive | Billboard |  Billboard

• Haha 3

And here's a caricature of me done at the county fair.

12 Lobo Comics That Look Like Michael Bay Movies

• Haha 1
10 hours ago, sean327 said:

I am right there with you. I did my part and got vaccinated. The full consequences of letting this pandemic rage on need to be put squarely in the laps of the @Bob's Pester the hell out of them, make life inconvenient, fine them for getting Covid, or needing hospitalization. Make life a giant pain in the ass until they get the vaccine. 

• Like 2
9 hours ago, DoubleBlueGold said:

In case, anyone wants to meet late night at the Best Buy lot, this is what I look like;

Danny Trejo Launches 'Trejo's Music' Record Label: Exclusive | Billboard |  Billboard

I immediately apologize for anything I said. Sorry :(

• Haha 1