Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

damianshorns

The Big 12 has sent a "cease and desist" letter to ESPN

4 minutes ago, masterfrog said:

I don’t mind the 8 Big 12 schools staying together. I also wouldn’t mind if West Virginia left and the conference replaced them with two Central Time Zone schools. I’ve always thought that 9 was the perfect number for a conference. If you have nine schools, you have four games at home and four on the road. You play every school in your conference every year. It is about as perfect as it can be. 

9 is what the MWC started with .......so If BSU & SDSU leave (very iffy) that would leave the MWC with 10, and CSU is right on the edge of the current B12 footprint, so if the MWC lost those 3, it could survive as a 9 school conference and not be in bad shape............wouldn't take a lot to fill the void of the three that left

Biggest loss might be SDSU BB, but that also isn't impossible to overcome 

2 hours ago, RSF said:

The good product part is arguable.  They've never been able to sustain anything in a long, LONG time.  It was 2015 the last time they had a good football team.  Kelvin Sampson has done a better job in basketball, but then bball has always been less of an issue for them.  They get good, coach leaves, suck again.  Lather, rinse, repeat.

We were good in 2016 also, but our season got derailed as the news of Tom Herman, and UT talking started to surface. 
We are one of the top media properties in the AAC, if not the top.  When we are good, to above average in football our ratings are at the top by a good margin.  When we play middle to top quality P5 opponents our viewership ratings are very high, and it isn’t just our opponent.  
The city of Houston as a whole follows UH when it comes to media viewership.  When we are playing in a big game the city tunes in.  That’s why we get such high ratings.  

You are also right, we don’t maintain success long term well.  You are also right that we get good, and then our coaches get poached.  Being in a G5 does that to you.  
We as UH fans were not as fortunate to have the kind of leadership that TCU did at the time we got kicked to the curb like you did during the breakup of the SWC.  We also didn’t have the fortune to land as quality of a coach as TCU did and were able to lock him up in a unique contract like TCU did. 
TCU laced up their boots and went to work to get back, and our leadership spent too many years feeling sorry for themselves.  
If UH, would have had the current leadership with Renu and Tillman back then, UH would have been on a parallel  trajectory as TCU, but that is history now. 
My issues with the remaining 8 are more directed towards the 2 others in Texas. 

When you and I discussed this the other day, my claims of more success vs “theirs” during the time we were in the SWC was specifically directed at TT. 

As you know, prior to TCU making it into the BIG XII, they thumbed their noses at both of us, and how we weren’t worthy and they were.  

TT hasn’t won an outright conference championship since 1955 when they were in the Border Conference.

They have 3 shared Co-Championships since then. (2 SWC and 1 BIG XII)

One of the Co-championships in the SWC was with a 6-6 record.

That is the definition of suck.

UH had more SWC Championships in the 20 years we were in a conference with them than TT had in their 60 years in the SWC and BIG XII combined on a budget 10 times ours.  (Yes, I know it was with Bill Yeoman)

So color me unsympathetic to TT and Baylor. 

(I don’t even need to go into Baylor, you know what they are)

17 minutes ago, RSF said:

Well, if anybody could see Mafia type behavior, it would be followers of Tilman Fertitta University....

If it works, it works.

Cougars fight for Dear ol' UofH

For our alma mater cheer

Fight for Houston University

For victory is near

When the going get so rough and tough

We never worry, CAUSE WE GOT THE STUFF!

So fight! Fight! Fight for Red and White!

And we will go to victory!

I think we can all agree that ESPN wants to corner the College Football market.  

I think ESPN’s plan was a multi stage attempt to control all of the BIG XII properties.  OU/T into the SEC and incentivize the remaining 8 into the AAC where it would control their rights exclusively.  I think ESPN thought they could convince the remaining 8 that their value was going to drop to close to $9 million per, and that ESPN would split the difference between what they were making if they jumped into a 20 team monstrosity of an AAC.  

I think this move was not to create a 20 team conference, but a place to put those schools in a “holding pattern” while ESPN continued to try to push FOX out of its other CFB assets.
Once they did that, then they would pull programs from the 20 team AAC to fill the PAC, B1G, and ACC to get to 4 - 16 team conferences all controlled by ESPN. 

Maybe....

25 minutes ago, UNLV2001 said:

9 is what the MWC started with .......so If BSU & SDSU leave (very iffy) that would leave the MWC with 10, and CSU is right on the edge of the current B12 footprint, so if the MWC lost those 3, it could survive as a 9 school conference and not be in bad shape............wouldn't take a lot to fill the void of the three that left

Biggest loss might be SDSU BB, but that also isn't impossible to overcome 

Seriously?  Losing those 3 would be devastating to the MWC.

21 minutes ago, Borncoog74 said:

I think we can all agree that ESPN wants to corner the College Football market.  

I think ESPN’s plan was a multi stage attempt to control all of the BIG XII properties.  OU/T into the SEC and incentivize the remaining 8 into the AAC where it would control their rights exclusively.  I think ESPN thought they could convince the remaining 8 that their value was going to drop to close to $9 million per, and that ESPN would split the difference between what they were making if they jumped into a 20 team monstrosity of an AAC.  

I think this move was not to create a 20 team conference, but a place to put those schools in a “holding pattern” while ESPN continued to try to push FOX out of its other CFB assets.
Once they did that, then they would pull programs from the 20 team AAC to fill the PAC, B1G, and ACC to get to 4 - 16 team conferences all controlled by ESPN. 

Maybe....

Fox owns 51% of the Big 10 Network.  They arent going anywhere there unless Disney completely money whips them.

In the beginning the Universe was created.
This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Just now, Borncoog74 said:

When is it up for renewal?

It's not - they OWN it.

This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

7 minutes ago, NorthWestCowboy said:

Seriously?  Losing those 3 would be devastating to the MWC.

Would hurt overall, but it wouldn't sink the conference - There's some solid programs remaining 

Plus there's literally nothing to add that doesn't further dilute the MWC that remains - at that point the MWC is just adding to be adding with no real value ........it's about what the B12 leftovers could be facing.........Losing Texas & OU alone won't sink the B12, but there is nothing to add that will replace the losses 

The one negative for the MWC is the geographical isolation, unless the MWC wants to add NMSU or some FCS schools, there's not much out there with football 

image.png.4b88bd8416eb81ba083e4dceec0778a6.png

For our alma mater cheer

For victory is near

Just now, Cougar King said:

image.png.4b88bd8416eb81ba083e4dceec0778a6.png

Which is irrelevant to the ESPN/AAC soap opera.

1 minute ago, RSF said:

Which is irrelevant to the ESPN/AAC soap opera.

Bowlsby will be out of a job soon.

For our alma mater cheer

For victory is near

1 minute ago, Borncoog74 said:

Maybe, but if ESPN were to gain control of all the other properties, you don’t think they could buy out FOX?

That's why I mentioned money whipping.

2 minutes ago, Cougar King said:

Bowlsby will be out of a job soon.

Doubtful.  Unless Fertitta threatens to have his legs broken.

Tillman needs to worry about the horrible basketball product he is putting out at the Toyota Center

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law