Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

FAKE NEWS: “Nevada Southern Land GrantGate”

Here’s another fact. DRI gets about 15 percent of its funding from the state. The rest of its funding comes from grants and research. DRI was so interested in land grant status that it did ZERO lobbying and had zero involvement in the bill. Why? Because it knows it already had access to the same research grants. DRI did say land grant status “broadens opportunities for grants” but would have to do more research. Meaning. Yawn. We don’t want to align with business interests who are pushing this forward.

And the FU to DRI from U of Nevada? 
https://thenevadaindependent.com/article/unr-national-laboratory-to-partner-on-research-initiatives-with-a-focus-on-climate-change

Oh and BTW DRI. Nevada will have the new SNU campus at Tahoe next year which has been aligned with UC Davis for years because of its presence and land in Tahoe basin. 

UNLV is smart to do whatever can to raise their academic reputation now, not that anyone will recognize them as an actual land-grand. After further research it appears that the Texas A&M system is one other system that is also considered land grant system-wide, but I don't think Texas A&M Corpus Christi fans are bragging about it on message boards.

Honestly, UNLV better watch it's back with Nevada State, the name that UNLV should've taken originally. 

I believe it's the fastest growing university in the nation and they're already up to over 5,500 students. They just opened nice new on-campus housing complex with a pool and volleyball courts (does UNLV even have on-campus housing?), and their tuition is a fraction of the cost. It sounds like they will soon change their name to Nevada State University, and will continue to grow name recognition. It's hard to imagine people paying more money each year to attend a commuter school like UNLV, when there is a better option:

Nevada State College to break ground on first dorm in fall | Las Vegas  Review-Journal

2 minutes ago, bigd said:

UNLV is smart to do whatever can to raise their academic reputation now, not that anyone will recognize them as an actual land-grand. After further research it appears that the Texas A&M system is one other system that is also considered land grant system-wide, but I don't think Texas A&M Corpus Christi fans are bragging about it on message boards.

Honestly, UNLV better watch it's back with Nevada State, the name that UNLV should've taken originally. 

I believe it's the fastest growing university in the nation and they're already up to over 5,500 students. They just opened nice new on-campus housing complex with a pool and volleyball courts (does UNLV even have on-campus housing?), and their tuition is a fraction of the cost. It sounds like they will soon change their name to Nevada State University, and will continue to grow name recognition. It's hard to imagine people paying more money each year to attend a commuter school like UNLV, when there is a better option:

Nevada State College to break ground on first dorm in fall | Las Vegas  Review-Journal

UNLV worked to help Nevada State exist because it is the only way we can limit who UNLV accepts into our University.  With Nevada State around, now UNLV is able to slowly raise our academic requirements and over time this will make UNLV the prestigious University to attend and harder to get accepted into.

Nevada State is not UNLV/UNR's competition, they are not even at our level.  Similar to a UCLA vs. SDSU setup in California.

State schools will have large student bodies and take in everyone, UNLV will become more selective over time.  We are a young but fast growing university.

14 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

All well and good..To gain this Land Grant Status, UNLV didn't even push for you had, to allow the Flagship Designation for UNR to be codified.  It was the only way you could get the LG status.. By this act you undermined your own equal status with UNR..

You can spin it any way you want but the business interests in Vegas did this to you.  There was a reason UNLV was not pushing for this..They understand fully what it means..

Don't think for a second UNR won't use this to their advantage..

Always be careful what you wish for..

Absolute nonsense.

UNLV, UNR and DRI are all under the same system.

No hierarchy exists.

Just now, RebelRobert said:

Absolute nonsense.

UNLV, UNR and DRI are all under the same system.

With UNR as the Flagship...You had no other avenue available to apply for land grant stuff..

You voluntarily gave up your equal status with Nevada to get the LG..UNLV did not lobby for this..Some rich cats in Vegas  pushed for this.

They didn't care what position this put UNLV in..It was a money grab..

By the way, if the legislature so chooses they could revoke your LG status..

But Nevada will always be an original Land Grant University.

I know that is tough for UNLV fans to accept..But there it is,,

Nobody in Northern Nevada is even remotely butt hurt over any of this..

10 minutes ago, bigd said:

I agree. It will be a residential campus and in Hendo for those students who want to leave home but aren’t ready to move away. 

7 minutes ago, RebelRobert said:

UNLV worked to help Nevada State exist because it is the only way we can limit who UNLV accepts into our University.  With Nevada State around, now UNLV is able to slowly raise our academic requirements and over time this will make UNLV the prestigious University to attend and harder to get accepted into.

Nevada State is not UNLV/UNR's competition, they are not even at our level.  Similar to a UCLA vs. SDSU setup in California.

State schools will have large student bodies and take in everyone, UNLV will become more selective over time.  We are a young but fast growing university.

Actually Nevada helped it get accreditation. 

1 minute ago, nvspuds said:

With UNR as the Flagship...You had no other avenue available to apply for land grant stuff..

You voluntarily gave up your equal status with Nevada to get the LG..UNLV did not lobby for this..Some rich cats in Vegas  pushed for this.

They didn't care what position this put UNLV in..It was a money grab..

By the way, if the legislature so chooses they could revoke your LG status..

But Nevada will always be an original Land Grant University.

I know that is tough for UNLV fans to accept..But there it is,,

Nobody in Northern Nevada is even remotely butt hurt over any of this..

Absolute nonsense.  You can keep posting the same thing over and over if you want but it is still not true.

University of Nevada has Land Grant Status and that includes three schools:

University of Nevada, Las Vegas

University of Nevada, Reno

DRI

Learn comprehension.  Dummies.

Just now, RebelRobert said:

Absolute nonsense.  You can keep posting the same thing over and over if you want but it is still not true.

University of Nevada has Land Grant Status and that includes three schools:

University of Nevada, Las Vegas

University of Nevada, Reno

DRI

Learn comprehension.  Dummies.

The argument in the legislature was that because UNLV was originally a satellite campus for the University of Nevada that gives them land grant status..You can't get LG status from the original Land Grant Act during the Civil War..You had to attach yourself back to the the original land grant institution to get that..

You chose to no longer be considered a separate entity..

It all has to come from The University of Nevada which is in Reno..However, UNR is not in the business of trying end runs like you cats so we will still call you UNLV.  We will be nice to you..

I am not all sure what is confusing you here but like I said before..I enjoy your general goofiness..

4 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

The argument in the legislature was that because UNLV was originally a satellite campus for the University of Nevada that gives them land grant status..You can't get LG status from the original Land Grant Act during the Civil War..You had to attach yourself back to the the original land grant institution to get that..

You chose to no longer be considered a separate entity..

It all has to come from The University of Nevada which is in Reno..However, UNR is not in the business of trying end runs like you cats so we will still call you UNLV.  We will be nice to you..

I am not all sure what is confusing you here but like I said before..I enjoy your general goofiness..

FF8C5517-9174-4A0F-91EF-196DF4EE613B.jpeg.677eb55e431d757b2b4afcb40ea09e0c.jpeg

8 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

The tube is quite appropriately in UNLV Rebels colors..You do need to apply it to yourself.. Nobody up north cares about this at all.  

as evidenced by the 3-page and climbing thread composed of mostly UNR and a SJSU poster for some reason 

Rebel18_zps27699187.gif

F908B932-A7DA-4D7F-B2D8-802632EF5B9A.jpeg

The State of NV doesn't issue Land Grand Charters, so as long as you keep running your gums "...the time to argue is (NOT) over."

You claim "it is official now."  Oh really, ¿so how much funding have y'all received to date via your new Land Grant scam manufacture in Carson City?

I don't like your odds @RebelRobert.  The US Dept of Ag doles out this money to institutions serving the educational needs of rural areas, especially in the field of Agriculture.  Notice the word "agriculture" in their name.  ¿What kind of rural agricultural pgms to y'all offer in the heart of Sin City?  The USDA is going to see right through this lil' Vegas fly-by-night scheme.

11 minutes ago, Rebels18 said:

as evidenced by the 3-page and climbing thread composed of mostly UNR and a SJSU poster for some reason 

Nobody does care about the land grant stuff but it is really fun giving UNLV folks a hard time about this.  

This is actually pretty funny.  Nevada has been providing services to the rural areas for 150 years.  We currently have 15 facilities throughout the State providing ag information, training & research.  Don't ask me why but even Including a facility in Las Vegas.

I suspect the Dept of Ag would want to know what you want money for since you don't have an ag dept.  I guess you could take over our facility in L.V.  No, this is just another case of UNLV saying, "Hey, were as good as them"   

2 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

F908B932-A7DA-4D7F-B2D8-802632EF5B9A.jpeg

The State of NV doesn't issue Land Grand Charters, so as long as you keep running your gums "...the time to argue is (NOT) over."

You claim "it is official now."  Oh really, ¿so how much funding have y'all received to date via your new Land Grant scam manufacture in Carson City?

I don't like your odds @RebelRobert.  The US Dept of Ag doles out this money to institutions serving the educational needs of rural areas, especially in the field of Agriculture.  Notice the word "agriculture" in their name.  ¿What kind of rural agricultural pgms to y'all offer in the heart of Sin City?  The USDA is going to see right through this lil' Vegas fly-by-night scheme.

27 minutes ago, wolfan8431 said:

This is actually pretty funny.  Nevada has been providing services to the rural areas for 150 years.  We currently have 15 facilities throughout the State providing ag information, training & research.  Don't ask me why but even Including a facility in Las Vegas.

I suspect the Dept of Ag would want to know what you want money for since you don't have an ag dept.  I guess you could take over our facility in L.V.  No, this is just another case of UNLV saying, "Hey, were as good as them"   

You are obviously much closer to this than I am @wolfan8431, however I had a hunch.  I asked @RebelRobert the exact same thing about "...what kind of rural agricultural pgms...(they) offer..." earlier.

I totally agree this is a chip on their shoulder, "we're as good as them" situation, mixed in w/a lil' old fashion Carson City $$$ grab.

4 hours ago, RebelRobert said:

YES...a growing Nevada State will help Nevada Southern & UNR to a lesser extent be more selective, but come on man.  You're kidding yourself if "...this will make UNLV the prestigious University to attend..." in your life-time.

REALITY CHECK:   Nevada State pop = 3,080,00