Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

GoState99755

FAKE NEWS: “Nevada Southern Land GrantGate”

I'm certainly not an expert on the subject, and have admittedly read more about it today than I have at any point in my life. The original bill was planning to divide all of the funding equally among the 3 institutions. After facing opposition it was watered down to essentially the following statement:

image.png.dc496355a8d654c9e6c6ac5b76811fc7.png

Honestly, even this writing just seems sloppy. Did they mean the land grant institutions of the University of Nevada System? Or are they claiming that it is just one university with multiple campuses?

And then here is Chapter 549 which they are amending, and in no place even mentions the university by name:

image.png.85044b51b653f6b12f979a22c1a0cb78.png

https://www.leg.state.nv.us/nrs/nrs-549.html

Ultimately with the watered down bill this is all about semantics, so that UNLV and DRI can apply for a few extra grants. And even then I don't see how this will really change anything for UNLV considering they don't have an ag school and we will continue to operate the ag experiment station along with the extension programs.

I also found the following:

In some states, the land-grant missions for agricultural research and extension have been relegated to a statewide agency of the university system rather than the original land-grant campus; an example is the Texas A&M University System. Its agricultural missions, including the agricultural college at the system's main campus, are now under the umbrella of Texas A&M AgriLife.

But on the Land-Grant website none of the other A&M Institutions are mentioned (Besides Prairie View which was through the 1890 legislature):

image.png.24791d5d87c5d18d31c54a3f5fa3560e.png

I know it's recent legislation, but I don't think UNLV is going to be considered a land-grant by the actual APLU (and therefore by anyone other than the Nevada legislature):

image.png.5881df8870916aba72afd7e4cc415ed1.png

Ultimately, this whole thing is dumb and RebelRobert parading on about this is just silly. But having more good universities in the state which has such low educational standards is always a good thing. Hopefully UNLV and DRI get some additional grants out of it...

4 hours ago, bigd said:

UNLV is smart to do whatever can to raise their academic reputation now, not that anyone will recognize them as an actual land-grand. After further research it appears that the Texas A&M system is one other system that is also considered land grant system-wide, but I don't think Texas A&M Corpus Christi fans are bragging about it on message boards

Honestly, UNLV better watch it's back with Nevada State, the name that UNLV should've taken originally. 

I believe it's the fastest growing university in the nation and they're already up to over 5,500 students. They just opened nice new on-campus housing complex with a pool and volleyball courts (does UNLV even have on-campus housing?), and their tuition is a fraction of the cost. It sounds like they will soon change their name to Nevada State University, and will continue to grow name recognition. It's hard to imagine people paying more money each year to attend a commuter school like UNLV, when there is a better option:

Nevada State College to break ground on first dorm in fall | Las Vegas  Review-Journal

The problem w/the scam UNLV is trying to pull on the USDA, it it's in name only.  The Tejas A&M system is an Ag driven educational machine.  The closest thing to an Ag education in southern Nevada is a Las Vegas Ag outreach center, one-of-15 operated statewide by UNR.  It's just a farcical pissing game instigated by the UNLV Caucus in the NV State House.

@NevadaFan can get you up to speed.  He knows all about it.

18 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

YES...a growing Nevada State will help Nevada Southern & UNR to a lesser extent be more selective, but come on man.  You're kidding yourself if "...this will make UNLV the prestigious University to attend..." in your life-time.

REALITY CHECK:   Nevada State pop = 3,080,00

Yeah, and RebelRobert won't admit it, but it certainly has the chance to backfire on them. UNLV isn't academically prestigious enough (at least yet) to justify paying 1.5x the tuition for the same degree, particularly in Southern Nevada where there are lots of first generation college students. That works when you're comparing UCLA to Cal State Northridge, but a UNLV degree isn't going to improve your future employment prospects. And if anything it appears that Nevada State is building a nicer campus with more of a residential, collegiate atmosphere compared to the commuter-centric UNLV. 

As of now it is still very focused on nursing, teaching, and liberal arts. But I'm sure it will add more engineering and science programs in the future. Their outgoing president said the first focus of the new pres should be changing the name to Nevada State University and promoting their mission locally. 

20 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah, and RebelRobert won't admit it, but it certainly has the chance to backfire on them. UNLV isn't academically prestigious enough (at least yet) to justify paying 1.5x the tuition for the same degree, particularly in Southern Nevada where there are lots of first generation college students. That works when you're comparing UCLA to Cal State Northridge, but a UNLV degree isn't going to improve your future employment prospects. And if anything it appears that Nevada State is building a nicer campus with more of a residential, collegiate atmosphere compared to the commuter-centric UNLV. 

As of now it is still very focused on nursing, teaching, and liberal arts. But I'm sure it will add more engineering and science programs in the future. Their outgoing president said the first focus of the new pres should be changing the name to Nevada State University and promoting their mission locally. 

A school with lots of aspiring nurses & teachers sound all right to me. That sound like a student body of +50% females, which ¡wrks for me!

If I had it to do over again, I would have taken a closer look at Univ of Northern Colorado for that very reason.

¿Have you & I chatted about Modesto before?  I'll be there early-nxt-month to visit a sick relative.

11 hours ago, GoState99755 said:

A school with lots of aspiring nurses & teachers sound all right to me. That sound like a student body of +50% females, which ¡wrks for me!

If I had it to do over again, I would have taken a closer look at Univ of Northern Colorado for that very reason.

¿Have you & I chatted about Modesto before?  I'll be there early-nxt-month to visit a sick relative.

Sorry about your sick relative, and no I haven't talked to many about Modesto haha. 

I actually moved here just about a year ago, and despite many years in Northern California I knew absolutely nothing about the place before moving. Sometimes life takes you strange places...

Whereabouts in Alaska do you live?

On 7/28/2021 at 11:29 AM, mugtang said:

Two things. 
1. The funding won’t be changing, here’s the bill. Here’s the important part: 

The whole point of a land grant university is to serve rural communities, which UNLV does not. But the legislature declared that the university system is one university which brings me to the second point. 

Because we in Logandale, Overton, Mesquite, Bunkerville, and Pahrump are close enough to commute in, (60-80 miles away) do we not count as rural communities? (All started because of farming/agriculture.) Or is it that we don't have local campuses, that we are not being served? Now with this LG maybe UNLV WILL be able to serve us, and we won't have to commute in to Vegas to attend UNLV, it will be accessible in our local communities, which would be fantastic. UNR has served rural communities BECAUSE of that land grant status and subsequent funding. No?

But I could be wrong.

On 7/28/2021 at 11:39 AM, NorthWestCowboy said:

Actually, the whole point of land grant universities brought about by the Morril Act of 1862 was to focus on teaching agriculture, science, military science and engineering.  This was in direct contrast to the traditional liberal arts educational institutions that existed at the time.  Because of the land grant university focus on agriculture these universities have served rural communities well through agriculture research and extension but the mission of land grant universities is much more broad than this.

Conveniently being left out of this discussion, lol.

On 7/28/2021 at 2:01 PM, nvspuds said:

Nobody in Northern Nevada is even remotely butt hurt over any of this..

Sandoval certainly was. The money previously allocated only to UNR now has to be divided 3 ways. And it isn't even that much. I'm not sure why @GoState99755, a Colorado St fan, is so worked up over this. This barely happened a few months ago, and is basically a label. All 3 schools involved are separate entities, and will continue to be so while being part of the same system.

But if UNLV gets to post that on a resume, it might have ramifications down the line... such as when seeking entry into a new conference. Just a thought. 

3 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Because we in Logandale, Overton, Mesquite, Bunkerville, and Pahrump are close enough to commute in, (60-80 miles away) do we not count as rural communities? (All started because of farming/agriculture.) Or is it that we don't have local campuses, that we are not being served? Now with this LG maybe UNLV WILL be able to serve us, and we won't have to commute in to Vegas to attend UNLV, it will be accessible in our local communities, which would be fantastic. UNR has served rural communities BECAUSE of that land grant status and subsequent funding. No?

But I could be wrong.

Conveniently being left out of this discussion, lol.

Sandoval certainly was. The money previously allocated only to UNR now has to be divided 3 ways. And it isn't even that much. I'm not sure why @GoState99755, a Colorado St fan, is so worked up over this. This barely happened a few months ago, and is basically a label. All 3 schools involved are separate entities, and will continue to be so while being part of the same system.

But if UNLV gets to post that on a resume, it might have ramifications down the line... such as when seeking entry into a new conference. Just a thought. 

No it doesn't have to be divided 3 ways..This just means UNLV and DRI can apply for Land Grant funds..It does not guarantee they will get them..

The Land Grant status is not something that impresses conferences.  Every State has one.  

30 minutes ago, nvspuds said:

No it doesn't have to be divided 3 ways..This just means UNLV and DRI can apply for Land Grant funds..It does not guarantee they will get them..

The Land Grant status is not something that impresses conferences.  Every State has one.  

Yeah based on the bill it appears that UNLV and DRI won't get additional funding or offer extensions. They will simply be allowed to apply for grants that are currently restricted to land grant institutions. At least that's my understanding. 

1 hour ago, nvspuds said:

41 minutes ago, bigd said:

Yeah based on the bill it appears that UNLV and DRI won't get additional funding or offer extensions. They will simply be allowed to apply for grants that are currently restricted to land grant institutions. At least that's my understanding. 

Although this may be true, it isn't what Sandoval said when it passed. He said that it would hurt UNR's extension programs because they would only have 1/3 of the funds they are used to. But now maybe they can give up the co op extension office in Logandale, and let UNLV handle that one. Also the radiation comp program (that is apparently going to end next year anyway). They can make it work if they want to, but UNR is not happy about it for a reason.

And no, no one is impressed by land grant status.. but there was discussion on here somewhere that the Pac 12 would want it for expansion teams, which I actually disagree with, but if it's on a resume, it can't hurt.

Still haven't figured out why go state was so worked up over it.. I don't think any of us are.

20 minutes ago, 4UNLV said:

Although this may be true, it isn't what Sandoval said when it passed. He said that it would hurt UNR's extension programs because they would only have 1/3 of the funds they are used to. But now maybe they can give up the co op extension office in Logandale, and let UNLV handle that one. Also the radiation comp program (that is apparently going to end next year anyway). They can make it work if they want to, but UNR is not happy about it for a reason.

And no, no one is impressed by land grant status.. but there was discussion on here somewhere that the Pac 12 would want it for expansion teams, which I actually disagree with, but if it's on a resume, it can't hurt.

Still haven't figured out why go state was so worked up over it.. I don't think any of us are.

The legislature found a few more million for Vegas and DRI and nothing happens to Nevada’s extension services. Vegas and DRI can now apply for grants.. that they could already apply for. That’s it. Oh.. and Vegas is now or still? a land grant school depending on how you interpret the legislation. 😂

8 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Actually, that's not true.  It's not something like AAU status that (at least on paper) elevates one school over another.  It is however, a highly desirable status as viewed by other land grant universities.  It does matter in expansion and realignment to the degree that land grant institutions in an inviting conference do have a vote.  It's far from the "end all", but it is an important part of the resume when other land grant schools are picking a new member.  Probably far less important than the overall athletic portfolio, but it does matter.

I am 99% sure that the A&M System does not have all of their member schools designated as land grant

College Station is horrible about sucking all they can from the system and not adding to it (really the system administration thinks they run college station and the other schools are just there)

Form what I can see they are saying that "AgriLife" (A name hated by everyone there), is a system component, but I am 99% sure that College Station is still counting the research dollars under their university numbers and more than likely what they are doing having their research and extension under the system is they are making it easier to count any research done at other system components with a major ag program (Tarleton, Kingsville, Commerce, WTAMU) under "agrilife" and then it falls under College Station to bump up their numbers

PVAMU is Land Grant, but I am 99% sure that only College Station is otherwise and I am very very familiar with the system and the Ag Experiment Station of A&M

the UC System in California is designated at the Land Grant and they handle all of that for their system schools, Davis is not the main "ag school", but Cal was the original land grant and Riverside started as a citrus research station before becoming a full university

one state in the North East (I think Maine or Delaware I can't remember)  had their research and extension at the state level and not a part of any university

one think to keep in mind for UNLV is that a lot of "extension" is turning into "nutrition" programs which is essentially welfare and WIC support programs so a lot of states are shifting some of their faculty lines over to that so they can grab up those grants especially those that have large urban populations or less agriculture in their state

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

Hey @4UNLV,  here's what I'm talking about.  I'm not going to go into CSU and their potential in expansion, but look at #7 and a KState bloggers reasons for looking at CSU.

Yeah, Land Grant matters to some.

https://247sports.com/college/kansas-state/LongFormArticle/Big-12-expansion-realignment-OU-Texas-SEC-Oklahoma-State-Kansas-State-Iowa-State-Texas-Tech-West-Virginia-TCU-Baylor-168406444/#168406444_1

Land Grant matters for a few reasons

In the past it allowed universities to build up large research infrastructures that lead to many of them being able to shift over to life sciences very easily and life sciences is where the big money is now

with most grants (not just land grant) the university gets a cut off the top for "overhead" usually negotiated well ahead of any particular grant and often at least 20% so on a grant that needs $100,000 to do the work well it will be funded for $120,000 with the 20% going to the university admins and often they will kick it back for more research infrastructure 

you can get faculty pay and other staff pay covered for some grants (again not just land grant)

the statutory funding still helps build out and maintain that overall research infrastructure as well ad faculty count

so being the university (or universities) in your state that was and is able to build up and maintain that infrastructure means you are ahead of the game for many other grants because you have the infrastructure already in place and the use and maintenance of it needs to be covered not the purchase of it so you can do the same work for less and thus more likely to get the awarded grant

YOU WANT TRADITION? WELL......HERE 'TIS......The University of North Texas has football wins over: Texas Tech U......Rice U......Baylor U......TCU......SMU......Houston......Oklahoma State......San Diego St.......Kansas State......Arizona State.......Colorado State......Brigham Young......Oregon State......Florida......Indiana......Tennessee (a 6 & 5 SEC team & still our biggest win in school history)......Boise State......Louisville......Cincinatti (our last match-up with UC was a UNT bowl win), plus FOUR (4) NCAA FBS level Bowl Games (one while having a losing season record) in this millennium's 1'st decade while North Texas has had ONE NCAA Division 1 Top 20 ranking.

The North Texas Mean Green Village (located between 2 Texas interstates & which a recent TxDOT study said 200,000 vehicles drive by it daily) is a multi-acre olympic style village of athletc venues*dorms*computer study centers, etc, topped off with what GIL BRANDT: The Father of Modern NFL Scouting who described UNT's Apogee Stadium as a "Tah Mahal of a College Football Stadium" with Brandt adding... 'and I've seen every NCAA D1 FB stadium in the USA." All this along with UNT's fabulous 10,000 seat Super Pit--the Best & Largest on-campus college basketball venue in the D-FW Metroplex......AND THREE PONDS AND A BRIDGE!!!!!

This signature is the sole property of Someone and any use of this signature without express written consent of Someone is strictly forbiden by penalty of law

14 hours ago, nvspuds said:

CORRECT...the ability to apply for Land Grant funds, doesn't make Nevada Southern a Land Grant School.  Hell, who know if the USDA will even accept the grant proposals.

NO LAND GRANT CHARTER....NOT A LAND GRANT INSTITUTION.

13 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Still haven't figured out why go state was so worked up over it.. I don't think any of us are.  I---> Because @RebelRobert was lying through his teeth, completely misrepresenting the situation. 

13 hours ago, 4UNLV said:

Yes Sandoval said that, which I believe caused them to amend the bill to keep the funding as it currently is.