Archived

This topic is now archived and is closed to further replies.

Red Ted Redemption

The MW is kinda +++++ed right?

2 hours ago, Koji Vu said:

LOL, only a 100% increase? Amateurs. 

SD is insane and catching up with the whale's vagina on property expense should never be the goal.  It's absurd as it is here.   I could but a decent place in PB for what I could get for my house built in '92 here.

22 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Markets matter a whole lot less than they did in 2011.  It's about brands now and ability to sell streaming subscriptions.  And Boise has a brand far stronger than other candidate not named BYU.  Not sure Big 12 cares about academics.

Not being in a recruiting hot bed and a geographic outlier hurts.  MWC minus Boise gets MAC money.

If it were solely dependent on living in an over populated area then no thanks.  There's a limit to what's worth it for me.   But Boise State's brand as defined by eyeballs on TV or merchandise sales back in the Nike days were more than enough.  Question is what % of that is still there in the post Pete era.

4 minutes ago, roughrider said:

If it were solely dependent on living in an over populated area then no thanks.  There's a limit to what's worth it for me.   But Boise State's brand as defined by eyeballs on TV or merchandise sales back in the Nike days were more than enough.  Question is what % of that is still there in the post Pete era.

Not as much but a hell of a lot more than CSU.

1 hour ago, justsurvive said:

I hope you're right, because this hyper-competitive society that we have been living in for decades has brought out the worst in all of us.  I must admit that I didn't realize that Spanos was that bad.

I was joking. Real estate prices are increasing like crazy everywhere. ;)

9 hours ago, justsurvive said:

Boise, as well as Idaho for that matter, has been growing for several years now, and it continues to grow.  I bought my Boise house in June of 2007 at $163,000 and it is now worth $350,000 according to Zillow.  As for the translation to success with a P5 schedule, well, give Boise a spot in a P5 conference and then we will find out.

WAIT!  WHAT?

You mean Boise might move from the 102nd DMA to 101st largest TV Mkt?

Give us a holler when y’all start sniffing the Top-25 DMAs.

EC115364-9E0E-49BA-8332-BB875CA60300.jpeg

9 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

WAIT!  WHAT?

Uh, I could care less about being "102" in market size.  Boise is still growing, so much so that both The New York Times and Washington Post have reported on it in recent weeks.

3 minutes ago, justsurvive said:

Uh, I could care less about being "102" in market size.  Boise is still growing, so much so that both The New York Times and Washington Post have reported on it in recent weeks.

Haha...You might not care that Boise doesn't deliver a major media mrkt, however the P-5 conferences do.

A quarter & those newspaper articles will get you a cup o' coffee.

3 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

Haha...You might not care that Boise doesn't deliver a major media mrkt, however the P-5 conferences do.

A quarter & those newspaper articles will get you a cup o' coffee.

Well, at least I got your attention, otherwise, you wouldn't have commented on it.

25 minutes ago, GoState99755 said:

WAIT!  WHAT?

Markets are so 2011.  

What matters now is brands and ability to sell subscriptions.  Markets are a thing of the past.

3 hours ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Markets matter a whole lot less than they did in 2011.  It's about brands now and ability to sell streaming subscriptions.  And Boise has a brand far stronger than other candidate not named BYU.  Not sure Big 12 cares about academics.

Not being in a recruiting hot bed and a geographic outlier hurts.  MWC minus Boise gets MAC money.

Agreed on markets, not as much as 2011, but markets still do matter.  Brands certainly help.  "Not sure Big 12 cares about academics"?  Keep telling yourself that.

6 minutes ago, Headbutt said:

Agreed on markets, not as much as 2011, but markets still do matter.  Brands certainly help.  "Not sure Big 12 cares about academics"?  Keep telling yourself that.

Staples said it best,  Markets are not driving realignment any more.  That's so 2011 thinking.  Boise brings a brand and would sell more streaming subscriptions.  Sorry CSU, being kind of close to Denver won't move the needle anymore.

3 minutes ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Staples said it best,  Markets are not driving realignment any more.  That's so 2011 thinking.  Boise brings a brand and would sell more streaming subscriptions.  Sorry CSU, being kind of close to Denver won't move the needle anymore.

Naturally you're emphasizing what you've got and totally dissing what you don't.  In reality, markets still matter.  I'm trying to look at this from as much of an unbiased opinion as I can, and I haven't once said that CSU is a lock (or even a frontrunner) for B12 expansion.  Just listing attributes.

The school that is really f'd in all this IMO, is SDSU.  Average in all the positives and negatives that each school brings and I think they are the most desirable university/program for expansion.  Unfortunately, I don't see the B12 going that far west, and politics will keep them out of the P12 more than likely.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think location on the one hand and politics on the other are their worst enemies.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

Naturally you're emphasizing what you've got and totally dissing what you don't.  In reality, markets still matter.  I'm trying to look at this from as much of an unbiased opinion as I can, and I haven't once said that CSU is a lock (or even a frontrunner) for B12 expansion.  Just listing attributes.

The school that is really f'd in all this IMO, is SDSU.  Average in all the positives and negatives that each school brings and I think they are the most desirable university/program for expansion.  Unfortunately, I don't see the B12 going that far west, and politics will keep them out of the P12 more than likely.  Maybe I'm wrong, but I think location on the one hand and politics on the other are their worst enemies.

Markets matter to the extent that generally teams in large markets have bigger fan bases and draw more viewers.  It's brands and fan base size that matters now.  One school in the MWC is #1 in each, by a large margin.  It's not CSU or SDSU.

What hurts Boise is geography and not offering a recruiting ground.  And to a smaller extent academics and hoops.  So Boise won't be the pick, but we would be the pick before any other school here.

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

Markets matter to the extent that generally teams in large markets have bigger fan bases and draw more viewers.  It's brands and fan base size that matters now.  One school in the MWC is #1 in each, by a large margin.  It's not CSU or SDSU.

What hurts Boise is geography and not offering a recruiting ground.  And to a smaller extent academics and hoops.  So Boise won't be the pick, but we would be the pick before any other school here.

For the record, you're OK on the recruiting ground thingy.  We have airplanes now and you don't need to be in a recruiting hot bed to be an attractive property. 

You underrate academics.  These decisions are made by college presidents, not AD's.  Presidents are looking for somebody to collaborate with academically at least as much as compete against athletically.  The B12 isn't looking for AAU by any means, but they are looking at academics.

1 minute ago, Headbutt said:

For the record, you're OK on the recruiting ground thingy.  We have airplanes now and you don't need to be in a recruiting hot bed to be an attractive property. 

You underrate academics.  These decisions are made by college presidents, not AD's.  Presidents are looking for somebody to collaborate with academically at least as much as compete against athletically.  The B12 isn't looking for AAU by any means, but they are looking at academics.

You are greatly overstating how much they care.  Priority #1 is what their media partners want them to do.  Priority #2 is trying to remain autonomous.   Academics somewhere around priority #629 

1 minute ago, halfmanhalfbronco said:

You are greatly overstating how much they care.  Priority #1 is what their media partners want them to do.  Priority #2 is trying to remain autonomous.   Academics somewhere around priority #629 

Got it.  Thanks.  You go with that.

Trust me on this @Headbutt.  A school that can not even get 10k of their own fans to show up (3k were Boise) against a top 20 team won't even be in the discussion this go around.  Nobody cares you are kind of close to a market that does not care about you, anymore.